Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jonathon

trouble uninstalling on non-admin account

4 posts in this topic

I'm having trouble trying to use a trial version of Kaspersky. This is actually the second go-around. I installed a trial version month and a half ago and literally have not been online on this machine for the past 40+ days; meanwhile of course the trial version expired. So I haven't been able to make a good assessment yet about whether Kaspersky is going to work on my system or not.

I'm working on giving it another try by uninstalling the first trial version and reinstalling another trial download. This is absolutely in good faith--in other words, if I can get Kaspersky's to work well on my system I am definitely going to buy it--I've done the research and I think it offers best overall protection of all the AV systems out there.

BUT so far it's giving me tin fits. I have spent most of the afternoon trying to get a usable version in place.

I had it on both my admin account and regular user account that I use most of the time--for security reasons I don't use my admin account for everyday activities. I tried to uninstall using the Remove button from within the Kaspersky program itself. It kept telling me that I couldn't do it without Full administrator privileges. So I went to my admin account and uninstalled it there, reboot etc. Then I reinstalled using the new download on the admin side. I thought that would take care of it on the regular user account but when I went back over there nothing appeared to have changed. It still has the old expired version and will not uninstall it saying to check with my system administrator.

So. Any advice? Do you think using the uninstall program from the website would work on a non-admin account? Also, it asks for the specific version of Kaspersky but the list seems to include only the technical names and all I can figure out from the website is that it's "Kaspersky Security for Ultraportables 2010." So I'm stumped. Any advice?

Thanks in advance.

temporarily upgrade the non-admin account to admin rights and use the removal tool. then downgrade the rights again when it has been removed properly.

Hi,

The trial period is a once-only thing, so even if you reinstall, you will not be able to get a new trial again.

What you can do however is trial the Kaspersky product you didn't have installed before.... i.e. if you trialled Kaspersky IS then you could still trial Kaspersky AV, and vice-versa.

Also there is a reason why you cannot uninstall from a regular user account....an administrator account is a superuser that has access to system programs and settings whereas a LUA can only use the system and not modify settings...for good reason (e.g in a corporate setting employees cant uninstall antivirus purposefully and in a home setting kids can't uninstall it without their parents permission). All uninstalls have to be done via the admin account.