Salmoneus

Where do iChecker and iSwift store data?

I have just installed KIS 2010 on WinXP SP3, and I am considering the iChecker and iSwift options.

In older KAV versions I remember similar options that stored data in the NTFS data streams, causing massive fragmentation of the hard drive.

So, where do iChecker and iSwift store data? From what I've digged up in this forum it seems that they both store data in separate files of their own, rather than in the NTFS streams.

Can someone confirm this?

Thanks!

/Salmoneus

I have just installed KIS 2010 on WinXP SP3, and I am considering the iChecker and iSwift options.

In older KAV versions I remember similar options that stored data in the NTFS data streams, causing massive fragmentation of the hard drive.

So, where do iChecker and iSwift store data? From what I've digged up in this forum it seems that they both store data in separate files of their own, rather than in the NTFS streams.

Can someone confirm this?

Thanks!

/Salmoneus

I do not see how the posting right after yours answers your question? Has everyone here read the link given by the second poster? I have.

Lester

...it seems that they both store data in separate files of their own, rather than in the NTFS streams. Can someone confirm this?
Yes. Confirm.

They both store the data in a database, not in NTFS streams.

Ok, thanks. The link didn't provide an answer but post #4 did. Would be nice to get a link to some reading about that though.

/Salmoneus

...Would be nice to get a link to some reading about that though.

Here it is...

iChecker operating principles:

During the first scan the check sum of an object is saved. Check sum is a unique digital signature of an object (file) that allows identifying this object (file). Check sum changes every time the object is modified. This information is saved in a special table...

iSwift operating principles:

The technology has been developed for NTFS file system. In this system NTFS-identifier is given to each object. This NTFS-identifier is compared with the values in the special iSwift database...

Having read all the posts and the technical article, I'm unclear about where iChecker and iSwift store their data. I used to own KIS (not sure which version, but it was 18 months ago), and I had major problems with CHKDSK. I eventually had to reinstall my OS and sanitize all the other partitions (not a task I would willingly do again) to get rid of all the objectids that had been written by iSwift/iChecker. My problems were caused after I upgraded my version of KIS, so I am certain that my issue were caused my iSwift/iChecker using the objectIds. I'm now looking for a replacement for my Current Internet Security system, and I'm once again considering Kaspersky, but I first want some reassurance that the iSwift/iChecker technology no longer uses the objectids or anything else in the MFT.

for obvious reasons it won't be possible to give exact details of how and where iSwift and iChecker data is stored in a public forum but richbuff has already given an answer to your question in post 4 gdavej.

Important Information

We use cookies to make your experience of our websites better. By using and further navigating this website you accept this. Detailed information about the use of cookies on this website is available by clicking on more information.