esther1501

No GUI and service won't start

Hi,

Running Kaspersky for Workstations 6.0.3.837 on Windows XP Pro SP2, all up to date. About a week ago, Kaspersky stopped working: K system tray icon does not show, attempting to start Kaspersky manually does nothing. In Services, Kaspersky service is stuck "Starting" but never actually starts. In Task Manager, first instance of AVP.exe is using 99% CPU. I cannot disable Application Integrity Control because I have no Kaspersky GUI.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

TBL

Hello,

I have this issue in my network, We have 500 clients in our network. two days ago this problem happened for me, all of client's kaspersky have been disabled. I got log files an sent to kaspersky support but still I can not get any solution. :unsure:

Thanks for the suggestion Dawinci. have you experienced the problem directly, and if so, has your suggestion actually resolved it? I am an external support contractor here, and I'm reluctant to carry out untested stab-in-the-dark stuff on my client's machines. Two of them are now affected by this same problem.

try the latest *beta* update source: ftp://dnl-test.kaspersky-labs.com/beta_updates/ap/ which included new improved klif.sys

try the latest *beta* update source: ftp://dnl-test.kaspersky-labs.com/beta_updates/ap/ which included new improved klif.sys

This contains a klif.sys for Kaspersky AntiVirus for Windows Workstations 6 that is hardly different to the version causing problems - this is 6.12.10.328 as opposed to 6.12.10.327 from the 'regular' update servers. There are so few bytes differing that I wonder if there's any meaningful code differences.

Somewhat in desperation, I switched my Administration Kit over to this update source - and I didn't finish up with a klif.sys update on a Windows XP Professional SP2 machine running WKS 6.0.3.837. With no benefit in sight, I've switched my Administration Kit back to the main update servers in the mean time. At most, this seems to be one build further on.

Any more ideas?

Update on this problem:

I have now managed to uninstall it from one workstation, by running the uninstallation to the point where it tries to stop the service that is stuck in "starting" mode, at which point the service becomes available for manipulation, so I disabled that service then. This first uninstallation failed as expected, but then after a reboot, when I re-ran the uninstallation, the uninstallation succeeded because the disabled service was not running.

Unfortunately, now I cannot reinstall Kaspersky. The error I get is that I must restart the computer before proceeding with the installation. I have rebooted 3 times and done a proper shut down too, but no, the error remains and Kaspersky cannot be installed. There were no Kaspersky entries in HKLM\SW\MS\Win\CV\Run. I have removed every mention of Kaspersky in the file system and registry, except within HKusers. Still, the problem remains.

Any ideas?

Thank you for your suggestion Steve.

The Remover does detect KAV6 (even though I have scrubbed all references in file system and registry), says it removed it, but after a reboot, the story is the same: Kaspersky won't install, it says it needs a reboot. Rebooting does not resolve the problem.

Perhaps give the Kaspersky Removal Tool a go? Probably a file or registry key hanging around that's not obviously belonging to Kaspersky.

Hi,

On the affected computer, open regedit and delete the following branch:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\AVP_POST_UNINSTALL (or something like that)

Reinstall KAV WKS, it should be ok.

THANK YOU!

Finally realised it was a branch, not a key!

Thank you very much for your help.

Hi,

On the affected computer, open regedit and delete the following branch:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\AVP_POST_UNINSTALL (or something like that)

Reinstall KAV WKS, it should be ok.

Edited by TBL

Important Information

We use cookies to make your experience of our websites better. By using and further navigating this website you accept this. Detailed information about the use of cookies on this website is available by clicking on more information.