Utilities included in the Rescue Disk:
- ntfsprogs http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ntfsprogs
mkntfs - Create an NTFS volume on a partition
ntfscat - Print a file on the standard output
ntfsclone - Efficiently backup/restore a volume at the sector level
ntfscluster - Given a cluster, or sector, find the file
ntfsfix - Forces Windows to check NTFS at boot time
ntfsinfo - Dump a file's attributes, completely
ntfslabel - Display or set a volume's label
ntfslib - Move all the common code into a shared library
ntfsls - List directory contents
ntfsresize - Resize an NTFS volume
ntfsundelete - Find files that have been deleted and recover them
ntfswipe - Write zeros over the unused parts of the disk
ntfsdefrag - Defragment files, directories and the MFT
ntfsck - Perform consistency checks on a volume
ntfsdiskedit - Walk the tree of NTFS ondisk structures (and alter them)
- dosfstools http://www.daniel-baumann.ch/software/dosfstools/
dosfstools contains utilities for making and checking MS-DOS FAT filesystems.
The dosfstools package includes the mkdosfs (aka mkfs.dos and mkfs.vfat) and dosfsck (aka fsck.msdos and fsck.vfat) utilities, which respectively make and check MS-DOS FAT filesystems on hard drives or on floppies.
- scrounge-ntfs http://thewalter.net/stef/software/scroung...ounge-ntfs.html
Data recovery program for NTFS file systems. Reads each block of the hard disk to and retrieves rebuilds file system tree on another partition.
- testdisk http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk
TestDisk is powerful free data recovery software! It was primarily designed to help recover lost partitions and/or make non-booting disks bootable again when these symptoms are caused by faulty software, certain types of viruses or human error (such as accidentally deleting a Partition Table). Partition table recovery using TestDisk is really easy.
* Fix partition table, recover deleted partition
* Recover FAT32 boot sector from its backup
* Rebuild FAT12/FAT16/FAT32 boot sector
* Fix FAT tables
* Rebuild NTFS boot sector
* Recover NTFS boot sector from its backup
* Fix MFT using MFT mirror
* Locate ext2/ext3/ext4 Backup SuperBlock
* Undelete files from FAT, exFAT, NTFS and ext2 filesystem
* Copy files from deleted FAT, exFAT, NTFS and ext2/ext3/ext4 partitions.
- ms-sys http://ms-sys.sourceforge.net/
This is a Linux program for writing Microsoft compatible boot records. The program does the same as Microsoft "fdisk /mbr" to a hard disk or "sys d:" to a floppy or FAT partition except that it does not copy any system files, only the boot record is written.
modifies the geometry settings on an NTFS partition