Help - Search - Members
Full Version: Kaspersky Backup CD
Kaspersky Lab Forum > English User Forum > Protection for Home Users > Kaspersky Internet Security & Anti-Virus for Windows
Navman
When I ordered KAV 2009 via download, I also ordered the cd backup. The cd has arrived. However, there are no
instructions as to when/how to use the cd. Can anyone pls provide info regarding the backup cd ?
Thx.
Shinigami
When to use it: it's a back up cd, so if you already downloaded KAV 2009, then you most likely won't need to use it unless you have to reinstall it (when you can't connect to the net, or need to install it on another computer that can't connect to the internet).

For the instructions, put it in the cd-drive and run it, and follow the instructions.
Whizard
You can always download fresh distributives from kaspersky.com/productupdates
Navman
QUOTE(Whizard @ 15.11.2008 06:49) *

Whizard,Shinigami:
Thx for your replies.
Navman
howard bryant
QUOTE(Whizard @ 15.11.2008 03:49) *

Hi Whizard,
I use KIS 7 and have been with KL since KIS 6. Whenever I reinstall or upgrade, the version that I get from KL product updates always seems to be at least 6 months old. Doesn't KL update the download versions? Just last week I upgraded from KIS 7 version 321 to 325 and the version that I downloaded from the product update site was 6 months old.

Thanks,
HB
Shinigami
When you are on the "protection for home users" page there is a sticky on the top that says "Download the latest Kaspersky product updates" which tells users what the newest upgrade is.
howard bryant
QUOTE(Shinigami @ 16.11.2008 03:03) *
When you are on the "protection for home users" page there is a sticky on the top that says "Download the latest Kaspersky product updates" which tells users what the newest upgrade is.

I used the link in the sticky but the database was 6 months old.
Killhippie
QUOTE(howard bryant @ 16.11.2008 03:32) *
In the link on the forum the latest version is 8.0.0.454 that is the current version of Kaspersky for most countries smile.gif If upgrading to it please follow the update instructions very carefully and it is totally different to version 7 and you can only keep your activation data, nothing else as the two programs do not overlap at all, if you have your old activation data on paper of in the box if you bought it from a store I would do a clean install personally.
Malucarp
QUOTE(howard bryant @ 15.11.2008 21:32) *

Howard,

I think you misunderstand how this process usually works. When Kaspersky, or any company for that matter, create an installation package for their software, they use a database version that's relatively current ** at that time. **

They do not change the installation package again. They do not update the databases again.

If you think about it, you can see why. Updating the databases would change the installation package and potentially introduce new problems every time they "touched" the software package.

It just isn't done - or at least I'm not aware of any company doing that with any software. That's why, when you install new software, it usually goes online and downloads the most current databases, patches, etc.

Mike
howard bryant
Mike,
Thank you very much for the explanation. Now I understand. One point of clarification: during the 10 minutes or so that it takes for all the updates to load during installation, I assume that the firewall provides the necessary protection (that is between the time that the installation begins updating all the virus definitions until the time that I reboot the pc). Correct?

Howard
Whizard
The firewall subsystem is active, as soon as the driver launched by the installer, however untill you reboot it will not have a nice pretty notifications.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.