Help - Search - Members
Full Version: KIS 2009 Firewall
Kaspersky Lab Forum > English User Forum > Protection for Home Users > Kaspersky Internet Security & Anti-Virus for Windows
athan
Hi there,
I tried KIS 2009 for a week.
Too coplex menus, don't think is for novice users. mad.gif
I was comfused and tired with those continuous windows for giving privileges.
Firewall seems to be stronger but I would like to have the option to cut the firewall ability to give network/internet access automatically to all programs
(like KIS 7.0 did with high security option). I want to be the MASTER OF MY PC, giving permitions only when I want to. I wish that KL fix that in future. dash1.gif
So I went back to KIS 7.0 for now.
KIS 7.0 seems more simple to me. bravo.gif

Lucian Bara
hello
simply change the network access column for the trusted group to prompt (or deny if you want to deny it) and you willbe prompt for every network access attempt. there's nothing to fix here.
lutz
i actually like the new version better, from a usability standpoint. It hides the complex stuff from novice users and is offering all the complexity you want at the click of a button. I find it different but better. Perhaps you have to give it some more time to grow on you =)
svwghq
Hi there,
I tried KIS 2009 for three weeks.
My question is why kis 2009's firewall doesn't have the default rules for some familiar applications which kis7.0 has.I wish that KL fix that in future.

PS:I come from china,so i'm poor in English,but i think you can understand what i say.smile.gif
Lucian Bara
What do you all have with fixing stuff?
there's nothing to fix, there are no more presets for known applicationsbecause those get into trusted, and there are presets for common application types (browser, send email, recieve email etc) when creating rules.
Baldrick
QUOTE(Lucian Bara @ 1.06.2008 16:29) *
What do you all have with fixing stuff?
there's nothing to fix, there are no more presets for known applicationsbecause those get into trusted, and there are presets for common application types (browser, send email, recieve email etc) when creating rules.

They don't understand Lucian...because KIS 7 was a good but conventional suite. I think that the additonal documents that Don proposed and that I know you have been putting together in anticipation of just this reaction will really be needed...but perhaps a very high level 'concepts' document,short but to the point, comparing KIS 7 vs KIS 2009, ie, taking KIS 7 functionality and indicating the KIS 2009 equivalent might help? Just a thought! rolleyes.gif
bobbycooper
Hello. I think that people like to interact with the S.W. kis, so you feel safer biggrin.gif !
jjtricket
KIS 8.0 is idiot proof! I love it.
svwghq
thanks!
so i make the rules by myself!;)
athan
QUOTE(Lucian Bara @ 31.05.2008 22:31) *
hello
simply change the network access column for the trusted group to prompt (or deny if you want to deny it) and you willbe prompt for every network access attempt. there's nothing to fix here.

For example I want to give access to 10 known programs. If i do what you say, firewal will not ask me for a permission for a new installed program.
Is that what you mean? dry.gif
Baz^^
No, if you do that, firewall will prompt you for EVERY application....and you can create "rules" like in trainingmode from the initial network access popup....that is essentially exactly the same as training mode.
athan
QUOTE(Baz^^ @ 2.06.2008 17:14) *
No, if you do that, firewall will prompt you for EVERY application....and you can create "rules" like in trainingmode from the initial network access popup....that is essentially exactly the same as training mode.

When i said to do what Lucain Bara said i ment the "deny" part of the sentence. Anyway is there a way to do what I asked for?
Lucian Bara
then you want to set the network access column to prompt for every applications. and you have to disable automatic mode
athan
QUOTE(Lucian Bara @ 2.06.2008 17:46) *
then you want to set the network access column to prompt for every applications. and you have to disable automatic mode

Thank you. I will try it and see what it happens. rolleyes.gif
lapin
KIS 2009 Firewall is too simple and even a novice can easily understood it.
When i installed KIS 7 it took me days to learn the firewall while in KIS 2009 it took me some hours.
Baldrick
QUOTE(lapin @ 3.06.2008 12:33) *
KIS 2009 Firewall is too simple and even a novice can easily understood it.
When i installed KIS 7 it took me days to learn the firewall while in KIS 2009 it took me some hours.

lapin

I agree with what you say but IMHO we, who frequent this part of the forum, are more attuned to picking up new things and KIS 2009 is new in concept. We need to expect that a lot of 'newbies' used to v7 will struggle...as they will fail to step back and try to understand the underlying principles that make KIS 2009 tick. Once they have done that they will understand. rolleyes.gif
Whizard
Thats the reason Automatic Mode was invented.
koocha
Being used to the firewall in v7 this is all new to me and I miss my prompts.

So from what I've read in this thread I need to set the network column to "Prompt" and untick "enable application filtering"?

In doing this would I get the option to create a rule for the program, as the training mode would have done?

Thanks for your help
Lucian Bara
hello
yes.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.