Help - Search - Members
Full Version: Do I need a Kaspersky Rescue Disk?
Kaspersky Lab Forum > English User Forum > Protection for Home Users > Kaspersky Internet Security & Anti-Virus for Windows
jaypeecee
Hi Folks,

In order to create a Kaspersky Rescue Disk, I need a Windows XP SP2 Installation Disk, which I don't have. When I bought my PC, it had Win XP Pro already installed and I installed the free SP2 patch at a later date. If I can't create a Kaspersky Rescue Disk, perhaps all is not lost as I have a Macrium Reflect Rescue Disk. The latter is part of the Macrium Reflect File Backup and Disk Imaging software and enables me to start my PC in the event that Windows fails to boot up.

So, my question is - do I need a Kaspersky Rescue Disk?

JPC
Lucian Bara
hello
those 2 are compleatly different. for the rescue disk you need a xp + sp2 disk, so if you don't have one there's not much you can do?
hype
Hello im in the same boat i dident get a xphome disc just the reload bulls**t so ive installed the recovery console as a start up option on the hard drive, to start the recovery console i borrowed a friends xphome disc & openend run then typed ' D:\I386\WINNT32.EXE /cmdcons' which then done a dinamic update to microsoft to update files & installed recov console. in the recovery enviroment you can run chkdsk /r,fixboot,fixmbr, the reason i wanted the recovery console is there is a virus in the wild that trashes the MBR master boot record. i also wanted to have a kav rescue disc but couldent owing to no xp disc, maybe the recovery console might be usefull to you.

xp home sp2
sygate
kaspersky 7.0.0.125de
spywareblaster

demand - avgas,superantispyware

jaypeecee
QUOTE(Lucian Bara @ 20.02.2008 14:21) *
hello
those 2 are compleatly different. for the rescue disk you need a xp + sp2 disk, so if you don't have one there's not much you can do?

There must be plenty of people out there in the same boat as me. Isn't it unreasonable to expect everyone to have an XP SP2 Installation CD?

JPC
Lucian Bara
no, unfortunatly that's what it takes. you need the windows files (+bartpe) to create the environment for the rescue disk
Ray S
QUOTE(Lucian Bara @ 20.02.2008 13:48) *
no, unfortunatly that's what it takes. you need the windows files (+bartpe) to create the environment for the rescue disk

I have a Reinstallation DVD "Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005" that came with my computer. If I had to reformat I assume I would start with that and then download the patches. The only problem I would see with that is getting viruses before the download of SP2. I guess it would be best to have a hard disc of the Kapersky suit software and install that after installing Widnows XP and then go on the INTERNET and download SP2. In my case I have Bounce Back:

http://optimum.infospace.com/_1_Y61UJ6021L...rofessional.htm

It have the software on a disk that I purcased with the software and a rescue disk from it as well in case there is a complete hard drive failure. All of my files are on an external hard drive that are backed up at least once a month.

Would this be the way to go for me? I am on a trial version of Kaspersky. When I purchase it would it be best the get a hard disc of the Kaspersky software?
bradavon
QUOTE(Lucian Bara @ 20.02.2008 14:21) *
hello

I think I've asked this before but is there any plans to support Vista Rescue disks too? Surely BartPE or whatever it's called now support them. Vista has been out for nearly 13 months now.

QUOTE(Ray S @ 20.02.2008 17:11) *
The only problem I would see with that is getting viruses before the download of SP2.

Personally I install XP, then install SP2, then install KIS, then activate the web. In your case you could install KAV/KIS before activating the web and downloading SP2.

Better yet burn the full SP2 to a CD -

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...45-9E368D3CDB5A

That's the full install and not the silly Windows Update one. With that you can install it without the need for a web connection, or order SP2 on CD (you just page postage) -

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloa...us/default.mspx

QUOTE(hype @ 20.02.2008 14:40) *
Hello im in the same boat i dident get a xphome disc just the reload bulls**t

Me too. Normally I'd build my own PC and then buy a proper CD but now I solely use a Laptop that was almost impossible to do so I was given one of those god awful annoying System Restore CDs.

Awhile ago my hard disk had a tiny partition problem that prevented Windows from loading. The System Restore only has the option to wipe the hard disk (They've not included Micosoft's Repair option) which I knew was way overkill. I had to download an illegal copy of Vista (don't ask how!) to fix my legal copy. I put the disc in and in under 2-3 minutes Windows Vista's proper Repair function found the fault and fixed it. I was up and running in under 5 minutes. Thanks Toshiba for no help whatsoever.

Plus these discs are useless to create Rescue Discs and Slipstream discs too. Slipstreaming is where you take your original disc and create a new Bunt CD which already includes the latest Service Packs.
Lucian Bara
Surely BartPE or whatever it's called now support them

nope and that's the problem, bartpe doesn't work with vista's disk:
Windows XP Home Edition (must be slip streamed with Service Pack 1 or higher)
Windows XP Professional (must be slip streamed with Service Pack 1 or higher)
Windows Server 2003, Web Edition
Windows Server 2003, Standard Edition
Windows Server 2003, Enterprise Edition
Ray S
Bradavan, thank you. I ordered the SP2 disc. The link to the download would not complete. The pop-up came up but would not go any further. I probably will reformat soon. There is a lot of junk on my computer.
jaypeecee
I'm running Windows XP Professional SP2 on my PC. Can I get the files that I need from a Windows XP Home SP2 Installation CD or am I going to run into problems with licensing issues?

JPC
Lucian Bara
yes you can get them.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.