Help - Search - Members
Full Version: Can't enter activation code
Kaspersky Lab Forum > English User Forum > Protection for Home Users > Kaspersky Internet Security & Anti-Virus for Windows
SciTec
I'm trying to activate my (just expired) trial version of KAV (6.0.2.614) with a new key, but none of the fields on the activation form will accept keyboard input. (Yes, the keyboard is plugged in and active. I can type into other app's (e.g. Notepad).) Rebooting has not solved the problem.

OS is W2k SP4.

Any suggestions as to what might be wrong here?

Cheers,
Randy
Littlem129
Have you tried to copy and paste into the field?

Just a thought... wink.gif

You a using an old version, you should upgrade to version 7.

I almost forgot, Welcome to the forum... smile.gif
SciTec
Hi, Littlem129

Thanks for your reply. Yes, paste is also ineffective. However, I can change the country using the mouse on its combo-box.

I will be upgrading to v7 immediately. But I really wanted to reactivate v6 before going back on the net to download it. (Yup, paranoid.)

Cheers,
Randy
EPR35
Are you sure you are inserting it in the right place ?
Activation>install key
Follow the activation wizard.
Don't insert the code in the spaces for customer ID and password, just leave blank.
Go forward and insert the code when the wizard asks you for the activation code XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX
richbuff
Yes, and if the field won't accept key strokes, try Temporarily disable Self Defense-reboot-try it again. Re-enable Self Defense-reboot when done.
SciTec
Hi, ERP35,

I'm pretty sure that I've got the right form and field. The form title is "Setup Wizard: Kaspersky Anti-Virus". First field is labelled (in bold) "Activation code". That's the field I'm trying to use. Below that is a group of four fields "contact information" with labels "Name", "Email", "Country" and "City". None of these fields accept keyboard input.

(Sorry, I can't send a screen shot at the moment. I'm posting from a different computer (which has KAV v7, btw) and am having some trouble passing the information across.

I don't see any fields that ask for a customer ID or passsword. Should I?

Cheers,
Randy
SciTec
Hello, richbuff,

That's brilliant, thanks. Disabling self-defense allows me to type into the field -- didn't need to reboot.

But now I get the message "License is not compatible with product or expired." Since I just got the license today, I guess it's not compatible. I'll see what I can do to move the new version to the target machine and try again.

Thanks for getting me past that stumbling block, though.

Cheers,
Randy
EPR35
You are right. Where did you buy the key ?
The trouble is that probably you have bought a new key that is valid only for KAV7, while you are trying to activate KAV6.
Uninstall KAV6, reboot
Download KAV7 from here
Install.

The new keys are only for version 7 not for version 6.
Sjoeii
they key is probably only compatible with v7
It depends on wher you get the key from
SciTec
Yes, the key worked fine for version 7 -- once I could enter it that is.

That was a terrible upgrade/installation experience. Kaspersky gets marks for:

1. Allowing original settings to be preserved.
2. Providing a great deal on renewing/upgrading a license. (3 computers for 2 years at a great price.)
3. A really fine anti-virus product.

But... The "Enable Self-Defense" option preventing entry of the Activation code is absurd. What is particularly annoying is that this option is selected by default during the install (and I was accepting the installation defaults without enough care). The result is that the activation code cannot be entered. Worse, the wizard hangs there, so that self-defense cannot be disabled. The only solution seems to be to uninstall v7 and reinstall it, being careful to uncheck the "Enable self-defense before installation" option. I.e. a whole lot of rebooting required, including an additional reboot after it completes its update.

Anyway, all seems to be working well again now. So thanks to everybody for their helpful suggestions.

Cheers,
Randy
EPR35
I am sorry you had all those troubles.
It didn't happen to me.
Activation worked simply and fine even with self-defense enabled.

bye
rjcooper
Hi,
I'm having this exact problem in XP SP2, today's download of KIS, on a computer that didn't have any protection. I cannot disable Self-Defense because I can't get past the initial Setup Wizard screen.
Ideas?

smile.gif
Whizard
Post a GSI Log of your system.
nick9860
QUOTE(EPR35 @ 9.02.2008 15:17) *
I am sorry you had all those troubles.
It didn't happen to me.
Activation worked simply and fine even with self-defense enabled.

bye

Do you mean that you activated version 6 with activation code for version 7?..., because it's just not possible... rolleyes.gif
SciTec
Hi, rj,

In order to get around this problem I had to uninstall Kaspersky (using Control Panel+Add/Remove Programs) and then reinstall it. During installation there is an option to enable Self-Defense, which was checked by default. It is my habit to generally just accept whatever defaults are given to me, so I didn't notice this when I first went through the installation. So during re-installation be careful to not just automatically accept all of the defaults, but ensure that this Self-Defense option is NOT enabled.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,
Randy

QUOTE(rjcooper @ 15.02.2008 19:07) *
Hi,
I'm having this exact problem in XP SP2, today's download of KIS, on a computer that didn't have any protection. I cannot disable Self-Defense because I can't get past the initial Setup Wizard screen.
Ideas?

smile.gif

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.