Help - Search - Members
Full Version: Disable Windows defender?
Kaspersky Lab Forum > English User Forum > Protection for Home Users > Kaspersky Internet Security & Anti-Virus for Windows
user01
I just noticed the other day that there is now a windows defender Icon at the bottom of my screen/toolbar (it looks like a little castle). Am I supposed to disable this? I am running Kaspersky 6.0 with windows vista. (I know, I need to update to 7.0:-)

So, do I leave it there and let it run, or do I disable it, and if so, how? Thanks for any help in advance.

Joe
ibok
QUOTE(user01 @ 27.01.2008 19:17) *
I just noticed the other day that there is now a windows defender Icon at the bottom of my screen/toolbar (it looks like a little castle). Am I supposed to disable this? I am running Kaspersky 6.0 with windows vista. (I know, I need to update to 7.0:-)

So, do I leave it there and let it run, or do I disable it, and if so, how? Thanks for any help in advance.

Joe

I allways disable W.Defender in my Vista Desktop + Vista Laptop. I think that i donnot need it.
You can disable it like this "Start-run-msconfig-startup-and uncheck Windows Defender-APPLY.Then reboot and check to not show it again.
lodore
i see no reason to disable windows defence on vista.
it does alert on some possible dangerous actions and doesnt slow you down so why not just leave it alone.
lodore
bradavon
You cannot uninstall it but you can either disable it from within the programs options or if you wish completely disable it you can by disabling the service (MSCONFIG as described above disables the service too but it's better to disable it through the proper interface):

http://forum.kaspersky.com/index.php?showtopic=58877

It's perfectly fine to run the Manual Checker but it's not good practise to have two Background checkers running at the same time. I'd at least disable that. It's really overkill to use both Windows Defender and Kaspersky IS though.

You didn't say btw if it's Kaspersky Internet Security or Kaspersky AntiVirus? If it's the latter you'll want to continue to use Windows Defender.
richbuff
KIS = KAV plus Firewall, Anti-spam, Privacy control and Parental control. They both have identical anti-spyware and anti-adware capabilities.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.