Help - Search - Members
Full Version: Computer becomes randomly slow?
Kaspersky Lab Forum > English User Forum > Protection for Home Users > Kaspersky Internet Security & Anti-Virus for Windows
karl_stade
Hi all,

I have KIS6 installed and as the title suggests I have been having random strobes of high CPU usage by KIS.

It's only been happening in the past few weeks and I haven't installed anything that would affect it that I know of.

It's really becoming quite annoying when I am about to transfer a file or open a program and it takes about 2 minutes to do it and I look in the task manager and avp.exe is using 25% of my CPU then drops back down to 2% then goes back up again sporadicly.

Does any one have any suggestions as to how I can find out what is causing it to strobe like this and/or speed it up? As I got rid of Norton's in favor of Kaspersky for this reason (which has been a darl for the past few months before this problem mind you).

Cheers, Karl
Don Pelotas
First of all....you should upgrade to 7.0 (it's free) and next..........How did you uninstall Norton, just a normal uninstall and then perhaps using their removaltool?
karl_stade
QUOTE(Don Pelotas @ 2.11.2007 22:41) *
First of all....you should upgrade to 7.0 (it's free) and next..........How did you uninstall Norton, just a normal uninstall and then perhaps using their removal tool?

Hi Don, thanks for the reply. I have not been receiving instant email notifications from KL recently, yes I have checked my junk mail.

I'm downloading the V7 update now, going to install it in a minute.

Yes I did have Nortons, and I did uninstall it normally and found out the hard way of how much of a b#$%h it is to remove and put another brand AV program on (BSOD's galour). Yes I did eventually use the Norton removal tool to get it all off, did a cclean the whole lot, reinstalled Kaspersky. That was months ago, and it has been working fine untill recently.

I will do the V7 upgrade and see if it makes any difference and if not I will be back. ph34r.gif

Thanks for the reply again!
karl_stade
Update, aside from my KIS7 activation blues I noticed this (attached).

I saw that after I uninstalled KIS6 the security centre was reporting that Nortons Worm Protector or whatever had been turned off? Wtf?

Maybe this is what has been causing me problems! Although I was sure I got anything Norton's off my PC ages ago when I converted to Kaspersky.
dawgg
thats probabily a bug with Windows Security Center... do the following to rectify it:
1. Temporarily disable the WMI service (Windows management instrumentation) in: Start >Run > type: services.msc and in there find/stop WMI

2. Next delete the C:\windows\system32\wbem\repository folder

3. Restart the WMI service & restart the computer

Please post a link to your PC's GSI Parser so we can see if you still have any Norton remnants left on your PC. Instructions regarding how to post the link to GSI are shown here: http://forum.kaspersky.com/index.php?showtopic=36444
karl_stade
QUOTE(dawgg @ 5.11.2007 21:38) *
thats probabily a bug with Windows Security Center... do the following to rectify it:
1. Temporarily disable the WMI service (Windows management instrumentation) in: Start >Run > type: services.msc and in there find/stop WMI

2. Next delete the C:\windows\system32\wbem\repository folder

3. Restart the WMI service & restart the computer

Done.

Please post a link to your PC's GSI Parser so we can see if you still have any Norton remnants left on your PC. Instructions regarding how to post the link to GSI are shown here: http://forum.kaspersky.com/index.php?showtopic=36444

Doing.

Update:

Well.. It dosn't look good.

I tried clicking "Url or this report" but it wouldn't load up the web page.

(Maybe not: GSI Results

So I just took a screen shot of the GSI results page.

See attached.

...Help!
karl_stade
Just a bump.

I'm cautious about the GSI results saying I am in red alert mode (or what-ever it was).

Any suggestions how to get rid of the Symantec remnants?
richbuff
Don posted a link for Norton removal tool and instructions here: http://forum.kaspersky.com/index.php?showtopic=5233 Your report also shows other potential incompatibles; are the running in real-time? Edit: If another go around with the NRT does not work, maybe deleting the items in safe mode or with unlocker can be accomplished.
dawgg
QUOTE(karl_stade @ 5.11.2007 13:19) *
Well.. It dosn't look good.

Look on the bright side... at least we know the cause of the slowdown smile.gif
the code red is there because files which are known to cause conflict with Kaspersky have been found (Norton + Windows Defender).

Do as richbuff said regarding running the NortonRemovalTool. Also delete WindowsDefender.
Uninstall and install Kaspersky again if you continue to have slowdowns after you done as stated above and post another GSI log if you continue to have problems
karl_stade
QUOTE(richbuff @ 6.11.2007 13:00) *
Don posted a link for Norton removal tool and instructions here: http://forum.kaspersky.com/index.php?showtopic=5233 Your report also shows other potential incompatibles; are the running in real-time?

Yes, I believe Windows Defender is running in real-time.

Well the thing is when I first got KIS6, I had no end of problems for about 2 weeks with multiple BSODs on boot etc.

I had to use the NRT back then and I am sure running it twice wouldn't make any difference? (I ran it in SAFE mode the whole lot).

I will do this, and see how it goes:

-Uninstall Windows Defender.

-Uninstall Spybot (KIS should have me covered in this area, no?)

-Reboot.

-Uninstall Kaspersky.

-Reboot in SAFE mode, run the NRT again.

-Run a CClean, just for good measure.

-Reboot.

-Install KIS7 (which I have had running for a couple of days now from KIS6 and has been going ok).

-Update, reboot.

-See how it goes? Maybe reboot a few more times just for the hell of it... huh.gif

If this sounds wrong in anyway please correct me now. I am on lunch atm and will be doing this procedure later this evening when I get home.

Edit: If another go around with the NRT does not work, maybe deleting the items in safe mode or with unlocker can be accomplished.

Delete the registry keys in SAFE mode? Any advice on doing this?

"unlocker"? I am unfamiliar with this process/program..

QUOTE(dawgg @ 6.11.2007 21:28) *
Look on the bright side... at least we know the cause of the slowdown smile.gif
the code red is there because files which are known to cause conflict with Kaspersky have been found (Norton + Windows Defender).

Do as richbuff said regarding running the NortonRemovalTool. Also delete WindowsDefender.
Uninstall and install Kaspersky again if you continue to have slowdowns after you done as stated above and post another GSI log if you continue to have problems

No worries, will do.

I'm actually a bit peeved with Symantec right now, rather than Kapsersky.

Even after uninstalling it (which took about 3 hours to do), running the removal tool etc etc I still have their crap on my PC mucking with my current AV software. Very annoying. I'm half considering backing up my data and just doing a format reinstall and be done with it... mad.gif

Thanks for the help guys.
richbuff
This can be handy If needed: Unlocker: http://ccollomb.free.fr/unlocker/#download
Don Pelotas
Run the tools you use (NRT etc ) from safemode and as the last things after all those tools, run System File Checker (sfc.exe), this will scan all protected Windows files to verify their versions have not been overwritten or damaged, and if so will replace the compromised version with a fresh copy. To run it, click Start/Run and type 'sfc.exe /scannow' (without the quotes but with the space between the 'e' and the '/'). Alternatively, you can click start/Run and type in CMD and click O.K., when the black window opens type in "sfc /scannow". You will need to insert your Windows CD into the drive to enable sfc to effect the repair. Sfc.exe will just stop without any other sign than the statusbar is gone!

karl_stade
QUOTE(Don Pelotas @ 7.11.2007 15:16) *
Run the tools you use (NRT etc ) from safemode and as the last things after all those tools, run System File Checker (sfc.exe), this will scan all protected Windows files to verify their versions have not been overwritten or damaged, and if so will replace the compromised version with a fresh copy. To run it, click Start/Run and type 'sfc.exe /scannow' (without the quotes but with the space between the 'e' and the '/'). Alternatively, you can click start/Run and type in CMD and click O.K., when the black window opens type in "sfc /scannow". You will need to insert your Windows CD into the drive to enable sfc to effect the repair. Sfc.exe will just stop without any other sign than the statusbar is gone!

Will do.

Run SFC in SAFE mode or normal?
Don Pelotas
QUOTE(karl_stade @ 7.11.2007 09:42) *
Will do.

Run SFC in SAFE mode or normal?

Normal should be fine.
karl_stade
QUOTE(Don Pelotas @ 7.11.2007 19:20) *
Normal should be fine.

It wouldn't actually let me run it in safe mode.

Ok, so i have just finished up doing everything.

Uninstalled Windows Defender, uninstalled Kaspersky, booted in safe mode, ran all the clean up tools, reinstalled Kaspersky.

Ran SFC.

Updated and activated KIS fine.

Will have to see how it goes.

I will do another GSI scan tomorrow when I have time and upload it and see if I have corrected anything, and if not how to go about doing do.

Thanking you all for your help so-far, I hope a few of you are on the Kaspersky pay-roll, because you are doing a better job than thier local support does. laugh.gif
karl_stade
Latest GSI Parser scan results HERE.

Seems to still be a few issues, though it has gone down to code orange after I have gotten rid off Windows Defender.
richbuff
There are Symantec items in Downloaded Program Files and System 32\Drivers that should to be deleted. WD and Spybot still show as Potentially incompatible, too.
karl_stade
QUOTE(richbuff @ 8.11.2007 13:28) *
There are Symantec items in Downloaded Program Files and System 32\Drivers that should to be deleted.

How would I go about doing that? Just explor C: drive untll I locate the folders?

WD and Spybot still show as Potentially incompatible, too.

But are they?

I have since removed Windows Defender. Should I get rid off Spybot aswell?
richbuff
Explore C:\Windows\Downloaded Program Files and System 32\Drivers. Locate and delete the Symantec items. Spybot: On demand only may be ok, but not in realtime. Any improvement after sfc?
karl_stade
QUOTE(richbuff @ 8.11.2007 18:14) *
Explore C:\Windows\Downloaded Program Files and System 32\Drivers. Locate and delete the Symantec items. Spybot: On demand only may be ok, but not in realtime.

Found them and deleted them ok.

I'm only using Spybot on demand, just as a backup scanner to use if the first line of defence fails.

Any improvement after sfc?

Not that I could see.

I have realised that I uninstalled Windows Defender last night, and it is still showing up in the GSI, as Windows Defender Signatures.

How would I go about removing that if it isn't in program files or add/remove?

Also, what about removing the Symantec registy values? I have done a CClean and looked for them but they didn't show up.
richbuff
It's been a long time since I have uninstalled WD, but I recall WD signatures as being part of Windows Updates. Symantec registry values: if the files, drivers and modules are removed, and a recommended registry cleaner is properly used, that should be sufficient.
karl_stade
QUOTE(karl_stade @ 8.11.2007 18:42) *
Found them and deleted them ok.

I'm only using Spybot on demand, just as a backup scanner to use if the first line of defence fails.
Not that I could see.

I have realised that I uninstalled Windows Defender last night, and it is still showing up in the GSI, as Windows Defender Signatures.

How would I go about removing that if it isn't in program files or add/remove?

Also, what about removing the Symantec registy values? I have done a CClean and looked for them but they didn't show up.

Latest GSI after deleting Symantec values from system: http://gsi.kaspersky.fr/lire.php?hl=en&...mp;Microsoft=0#

Still has Windows Defender stuff, even though I uninstalled it...?

QUOTE(richbuff @ 8.11.2007 18:55) *
It's been a long time since I have uninstalled WD, but I recall WD signatures as being part of Windows Updates. Symantec registry values: if the files, drivers and modules are removed, and a recommended registry cleaner is properly used, that should be sufficient.

So how would I go about removing the WD values then?

In my latest GSI report it is no longer showing any Symantec values. smile.gif Just the Spybot and WD entries.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.