Help - Search - Members
Full Version: Adware: not-a-virus:AdWare.Win32.Dm.v
Kaspersky Lab Forum > English User Forum > Virus-related issues
Archimides
I downloaded the setup file for SOS Online Backup.

When I opened the folder in Windows Explorer where I downloaded it to, KAV displayed a yellow File Anti-Virus Warning, saying it had detected in the setup file "Adware: not-a-virus:AdWare.Win32.Dm.v" with an Action "File contains Adware: 'not-a-virus:AdWare.Win32.Dm.v' and cannot be disinfected.

Some questions:

- Where does the phrase "not-a-virus" in this warning come from -- e.g., from the virus writer, from Kaspersky Lab, or from what I presume is a consortium of AV vendors?

- Does this warning simply mean that in fact it is not a virus but does contain adware?

- Why would I not have gotten a warning at the time of downloading? I've seen KAV do that with othe files (e.g., EICAR).

- I chose to install the program and saw no adware -- i.e., no ads. What kind of behavior or potential could KAV have seen in the file (i.e., other than ads it would display) that would lead it to display this warning?
Sjoeii
QUOTE(Archimides @ 4.05.2007 04:43)

When I opened the folder in Windows Explorer where I downloaded it to, KAV displayed a yellow File Anti-Virus Warning, saying it had detected in the setup file "Adware: not-a-virus:AdWare.Win32.Dm.v" with an Action "File contains Adware: 'not-a-virus:AdWare.Win32.Dm.v' and cannot be disinfected.

Some questions:

- Where does the phrase "not-a-virus" in this warning come from -- e.g., from the virus writer, from Kaspersky Lab, or from what I presume is a consortium of AV vendors?

- Does this warning simply mean that in fact it is not a virus but does contain adware?

- Why would I not have gotten a warning at the time of downloading? I've seen KAV do that with othe files (e.g., EICAR).

- I chose to install the program and saw no adware -- i.e., no ads. What kind of behavior or potential could KAV have seen in the file (i.e., other than ads it would display) that would lead it to display this warning?

* The quote not a virus comes from Kaspersky. It means that ist is not a dangerous virus. It could be a unknown program.
* It could contain malware. But it doesn't have to be.
* with the eicar file it is web av who is "shouting" that it is malware. In this case it probably is the PDM.

From here I can't see if it really is a virus or not. Please send the file to newvirus@kaspersky.com they can check it for you.
Piston Ron
QUOTE(Archimides @ 3.05.2007 22:43)

Have you installed the application? It might be that KAV only has problems with the installer. If so, backup the installer to CD, floppy, flash drive, whatever, and then delete it from your HD after you have installed the program.

As Sjoeii suggested, you can submit the file to KL, but I doubt that it is a FP. The installer probably does indeed exhibit adware-like properties, and as such will remain in the signatures/heuristics. BTW, do you have the riskware category in KAV checked?

Click to view attachment

You will get a lot of hits on installers from this category. Particularly the installers of security applications, as one might expect.

Ron smile.gif
Don Pelotas
QUOTE(Archimides @ 4.05.2007 04:43)

Some questions:

The phrase is Kaspersky's and is added to any detection not in the first (the important) catagory in the screenshot from Ron's post. Kaspersky is an independant anti-virus vendor btw.

Yes, it means exactly what it says, the file contains adware and its up to you if you want to continue using it. You could also get a detection called for example "Not-a-virus:client.IRC.W32.mIRC.621 which is a widely used Internet Relay Chat program, but it can also be used to exploit you and thats why it's included, it's does not mean you will be exploited, you can consider it an "make you aware" kind of detection
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.