Help - Search - Members
Full Version: KIS 2014 Checkdisk does not complete
Kaspersky Lab Forum > English User Forum > Protection for Home Users > Kaspersky Internet Security & Anti-Virus for Windows
HARIN NAMASIVAYAM
1) As pointed out by others KIS 2014 has had really useful features removed, particularly in mail antivirus where it is not possible to delete incoming files with specific extensions. (bat, cmd, exe, pif and so on)

2) Checkdisk does not complete after KIS 2014 is installed. A message including the text" " .. cannot run due to an error caused by a recently installed software package. An unspecified error occurred..." appears. This is on W7 64bit.

This problem goes away on uninstallation of KIS 2014.
Checkdisk ran successfully after re-installation of KIS 2013.

I have reverted to KIS 2013.
Rodion Nagornov
2. Is a bug #305424
HARIN NAMASIVAYAM
QUOTE(Rodion Nagornov @ 21.08.2013 03:07) *
2. Is a bug #305424

I find it rather strange that the program was released knowing that this 'bug' was present.

Don Pelotas
QUOTE(HARIN NAMASIVAYAM @ 21.08.2013 18:29) *
I find it rather strange that the program was released knowing that this 'bug' was present.

All software have bugs, even quite sometime after launch, the trick is to find a middle ground where it is stable and as bug free at that time as possible, then release it and continually upgrade it over it's life cycle just like 2013 or 2012 before that both of those received several hotfixes each containing several fixes.

If you going to wait for all bugs to be fixed before you release and then users install it you would never install any software at all because it's a mirage.
HARIN NAMASIVAYAM
QUOTE(Don Pelotas @ 21.08.2013 12:46) *
All software have bugs, even quite sometime after launch, the trick is to find a middle ground where it is stable and as bug free at that time as possible, then release it and continually upgrade it over it's life cycle just like 2013 or 2012 before that both of those received several hotfixes each containing several fixes.

If you going to wait for all bugs to be fixed before you release and then users install it you would never install any software at all because it's a mirage.

All of the above sounds reasonable and wise. Except when sufficient proportion of users believe that the existing bugs are serious enough to indicate that the product was prematurely released or are displeased to a sufficient degree.

It is just my opinion; no one has to agree with me. Unless the KIS team performs some major improvements, I will be reviewing competitors' products seriously when the license is about to expire - almost a year from today. Plenty of time for KIS team to make improvements and changes, if they want to.

I have had smooth transitions from KIS 2007 to KIS 2013; this is the first time I have decided to go back to the earlier version (2013).
Rodion Nagornov
QUOTE(HARIN NAMASIVAYAM @ 21.08.2013 20:29) *

The program was released 2 weeks ago and we caught some bugs due to our wonderful customers request. Thanks a lot for such active people!
cmcc
Argh! I want to run "chkdsk /f" on Win XP (because KIS hung the PC). However, I find that "chkdsk /f" will not run [on restarting the PC]. The reboot process blithely ignores the fact that a chkdsk had been scheduled.

As I haven't done anything else new to the computer, and as the disabling of chkdsk is unconscionable by any sane process other than by a very dictatorial antivirus (or by a virus itself, which KIS reports I do not have), I assume that KIS 2014 has somehow managed to disable running "chkdsk /f" upon reboot. Is my assumption correct? And if so, how do I get around it, so that I can, in fact, run chkdsk?

Thanks.
3x0gR13N
It's a known issue: http://forum.kaspersky.com/index.php?showtopic=271341 It will be fixed in future patches, no ETA.
cmcc
QUOTE(cmcc @ 3.09.2013 22:25) *
Argh! I want to run "chkdsk /f" on Win XP (because KIS hung the PC). However, I find that "chkdsk /f" will not run [on restarting the PC]. The reboot process blithely ignores the fact that a chkdsk had been scheduled.

As I haven't done anything else new to the computer, and as the disabling of chkdsk is unconscionable by any sane process other than by a very dictatorial antivirus (or by a virus itself, which KIS reports I do not have), I assume that KIS 2014 has somehow managed to disable running "chkdsk /f" upon reboot. Is my assumption correct? And if so, how do I get around it, so that I can, in fact, run chkdsk?

Thanks.

Confirmed! I uninstalled KIS 2014, and suddenly I can once again do a "chkdsk /f" upon reboot!

Which leads me to ask: What the ^&%^%#$^&%$ are you doing -- blocking chkdsk ??? Do you really think that is wise? Does it somehow prevent some sort of virus trickery? And even if so, can you not find some way to enable the user to actually accomplish a chkdsk? It is, after all, a somewhat fundamental need, on a Windows system. (Esp. if your own program is causing hangs.)

Again: ARGH!

(I would, however, love it if you came back with a fix.)
cmcc
Ah. I didn't see your earlier reply.

Thanks.
Keith2468
It appears there is a compatibility problem between KIS 2014 and AUTODSK ( SCANDISK, DISK CHECK) in Windows 7 Home Premium.

This problem occurs after installing KIS 2014.
It goes away when KIS 2014 is removed through the Windows Control Panel.
It returns when KIS 2014 is re-installed.

Procedure to replicate problem:

1. Go into Windows File Manager or My Computer.

2. Right-click on the C: drive.

3. Select Properties.

4. Select Tools.

5. Under Error-Checking click the Check Now button.

6. Ensure "Automatically fix file system errors" is selected and "Scan for and attempt recovery of ..." is not selected.

7. Click Start.

8. Click "Schedule disk check".

9. Go to the Start button and select to re-start the computer.

10. Watch the disk check count down and attempt to start.

11. I see an error:

Cannot open volume for direct access
AUTOCHK cannot run due to ... [general stuff about a recently installed program and run System Restore]

12. Windows then boots.

13. Uninstall KIS 2014 and repeat steps 1 12 again -- problem goes away.

14. Reinstall KIS 2014 and repeat steps 1 to 12 again -- problem returns.

If I recall a couple of years ago there was a tool to upload my system specs to Kaspersky Labs and create a link to post here. I'll do that in a moment.

(Note, I also had Acronis 2014 installed, but uninstalling it did not remove the error. I have left Acronis uninstalled during troubleshooting.)
Keith2468
The GETSYSTEMINFO link is
http://www.getsysteminfo.com/read.php?file...230373709657385

The operating system is Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit edition with all the standard Windows Updates applied.

I also opened a support ticket on this, request number: 315256938.
HOK
I believe this is a known issue/bug:

//merged.
Keith2468
Thank you mods for merging this. I did do a scan to see if there was an existing topic on it, but searched for autodsk and scan disk. It is good to keep it all together.

I am working with Luis in the lab, support ticket 315256938.

I just want to add the specific error message so anyone else with this issue can find searching on the message contents (if they dig out a camera to take a photo of the screen as it whips by during re-boot).

Checking file system on C:
The type of the file system is NTFS.
Volume label is OS-IntelSSD

A disk check has been scheduled.
Windows will now check the disk.
Cannot open volume for direct access.
Autochk cannot run due to an error caused by a recently installed software package.
Use the system restore feature from the control panel to restore the system to a point prior to the recent software package installation.
An unspecified error occurred (766f6c756d652e63 3f1).

Uninstalling KIS2014 from the Control Panel removes the error and allows Scandisk to run. (The uninstall options were to remove everything but the product validation/keys).

Re-installing KIS2014 causes the error to return.

So the lab is working on it. Hopefully they'll have it fixed in a couple of weeks.

Meanwhile, if you really need to run a scan disk on your system disk, the bypass is to temporarily uninstall KIS, run the scan, and re-install it. Not a good fix, just a temporary bypass.
nuvtazio
QUOTE(Keith2468 @ 12.09.2013 06:43) *
Thank you mods for merging this. I did do a scan to see if there was an existing topic on it, but searched for autodsk and scan disk. It is good to keep it all together.

I am working with Luis in the lab, support ticket 315256938.

I just want to add the specific error message so anyone else with this issue can find searching on the message contents (if they dig out a camera to take a photo of the screen as it whips by during re-boot).

Checking file system on C:
The type of the file system is NTFS.
Volume label is OS-IntelSSD

A disk check has been scheduled.
Windows will now check the disk.
Cannot open volume for direct access.
Autochk cannot run due to an error caused by a recently installed software package.
Use the system restore feature from the control panel to restore the system to a point prior to the recent software package installation.
An unspecified error occurred (766f6c756d652e63 3f1).

Uninstalling KIS2014 from the Control Panel removes the error and allows Scandisk to run. (The uninstall options were to remove everything but the product validation/keys).

Re-installing KIS2014 causes the error to return.

So the lab is working on it. Hopefully they'll have it fixed in a couple of weeks.

Meanwhile, if you really need to run a scan disk on your system disk, the bypass is to temporarily uninstall KIS, run the scan, and re-install it. Not a good fix, just a temporary bypass.

hi, a temporary solution without uninstalling:
http://translate.google.com/translate?js=n...wtopic%3D273062
Keith2468
This problem is FIXED in KIS 14.0.0.4651(B).

:)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.