Help - Search - Members
Full Version: How to optimize KAV 2013 for SSD disk?!
Kaspersky Lab Forum > English User Forum > Protection for Home Users > Kaspersky Internet Security & Anti-Virus for Windows
Dmitry Bond.
Hi.

In a SysInternals Process Monitor I see that KAV 2013 (also KAV 2012 worked the same way) generating huge number of disk writes per day.
For example - every 1-2 seconds it is writing data into files:

C:\ProgramData\Kaspersky Lab\AVP13\Report\g_objdt.dat
C:\ProgramData\Kaspersky Lab\AVP13\Temp\crypt0A2CDCC_c68_crypt_io_copy.tmp
C:\ProgramData\Kaspersky Lab\AVP13\Report10000005_objdt.dat
C:\ProgramData\Kaspersky Lab\AVP13\Report70000001_events.dat

and so on.

I'm trying to minimize number of writes to my SSD disk. So, such application like KAV which is generating big number of disk writes is one I want to optimize/re-configure to make it writing into different place (let say - "D:\users\public\kav" - the directory I can provide for KAV writes).

Is it possible? If yes, then - how?

Please understand - I do not want to exclude all disk writes, only the most intensive. So, let say - if application writing to disk once per minute that is ok with me. But if application writing every 1-2 seconds and application working all the time while computer is ON that is a bit too much! I think.

Regards,
Dmitry.
Berny
Hello

Maybe that this FAQ could be helpfull to you :

http://support.kaspersky.com/kav2013/work?qid=208286842
Dmitry Bond.
QUOTE(Berny @ 18.10.2012 12:24) *
Hello

Maybe that this FAQ could be helpfull to you :

http://support.kaspersky.com/kav2013/work?qid=208286842

Sorry, but I perfectly knows that piece of configuration. And for sure - it is absolutely irrelevant to the question I asked!
Please carefully read my question again and try to understand.

See - you suggested me description how to cleanup reports, control report store time and level of reporting.
BUT(!!!) I'm already using minimal level of reporting and it is still writing data every 1-2 seconds to mentioned files.
So, I think you answer is irrelevant.
kromosto
QUOTE(Dmitry Bond. @ 18.10.2012 14:17) *
Sorry, but I perfectly knows that piece of configuration. And for sure - it is absolutely irrelevant to the question I asked!
Please carefully read my question again and try to understand.

See - you suggested me description how to cleanup reports, control report store time and level of reporting.
BUT(!!!) I'm already using minimal level of reporting and it is still writing data every 1-2 seconds to mentioned files.
So, I think you answer is irrelevant.

so i think you are actually asking how to close reporting or move that files to another disk. am i correct?
Dmitry Bond.
QUOTE(kromosto @ 18.10.2012 13:30) *
so i think you are actually asking how to close reporting or move that files to another disk. am i correct?

Yes, exactly!
Is it possible to do in KAV 2013?

Also (could be an option) - if possible to make KAV write report less frequently or do not write at all.
viper69
QUOTE(Dmitry Bond. @ 18.10.2012 05:14) *
Yes, exactly!
Is it possible to do in KAV 2013?

Also (could be an option) - if possible to make KAV write report less frequently or do not write at all.

I'd like to know the same thing for the original poster's question. I have a SSD drive with Win7 Pro installed on it. I also have an internal HDD 1 TB too. SSD's performance/longevity decrease with read/writes.

Would I be better off putting the KAV on my internal HDD ?
viper69
I have KAV 2012 on my old XP machine. I have a new computer with an SSD. The OS is Win 7 Pro, 64bit.

A few questions:

1. Can I download the KAV2013 and install on my NEW computer using the license number I have for KAV 2012?

2. Would it be better to install KAV 2013 on my internal 1 TB HDD instead of the SSD drive where my OS is installed? I'm concerned w/a previous poster's comments that KAV is causing a lot of read/writes, this affects SSDs performance over time.
Dmitry Bond.
QUOTE(viper69 @ 19.10.2012 08:03) *
[...]
2. Would it be better to install KAV 2013 on my internal 1 TB HDD instead of the SSD drive where my OS is installed? I'm concerned w/a previous poster's comments that KAV is causing a lot of read/writes, this affects SSDs performance over time.

I'm really doubt if that would change something!
Because when you look on the files KAV writing (for example: C:\ProgramData\Kaspersky Lab\AVP13\Report\g_objdt.dat) you can see - they are located in the OS All-User-Profile which is always resides on C: (on system disk).
So, installing KAV on HDD would not change anything because All-User-Profile location.

That is why I did ask - if possible to make write intervals longer or redirect "reports" and "temp" directories for KAV.
richbuff
0. previous post was merged to this topic.

1. Yes. License for version X is good for versions X-1 through versions X+3.

2. Please install on system partition in the default location. There have been several lengthy topics about Kaspersky and SSD, and the end result is that you can ignore any potential concerns for the duration of the routinely expected life of the SSD.
Dmitry Bond.
QUOTE(richbuff @ 19.10.2012 08:31) *

2. Please install on system partition in the default location. There have been several lengthy topics about Kaspersky and SSD, and the end result is that you can ignore any potential concerns for the duration of the routinely expected life of the SSD.

Ok...
What about placing this topic in FAQ? Just to avoid asking the same again and again.
I did checked FAQ before asking this - not found anything about SSD.
So, if you tell that there was discussions and so on - would be nice to see it in FAQ, please.
viper69
QUOTE(richbuff @ 18.10.2012 23:31) *

Thanks Rich, always helpful you are!
kromosto
below is the answer from kaspersky technical lab.

"Reply to customer

Yhe only way to optimize performance for ssd drives is to really disable logging. Please disable it through "Support" button in the main program menu.
Also, disable logging from the setting menu - Reports and Quarantine."
viper69
QUOTE(kromosto @ 19.10.2012 00:07) *
below is the answer from kaspersky technical lab.

"Reply to customer

Yhe only way to optimize performance for ssd drives is to really disable logging. Please disable it through "Support" button in the main program menu.
Also, disable logging from the setting menu - Reports and Quarantine."

Before I do this, what does "disable logging" really mean, that is, what are the consequences of doing that?
garryw
Pardon my intrusion. I'm not a Kaspersky customer and, apparently, I don't want to be. I am writing because this thread has the -only- mention I can find on the Internet of the folder "kaspersky\avp13\temp\crypt". Perhaps it is relevant to you. I should submit it as a bug, but I don't want to take the time to figure out how to do that.

Specific problem:

I installed the consumer software yesterday. Changed some settings. Ran a full scan overnight. All OK.

And the Kaspersky software just BLEW UP that folder and tried to kill my machine.

Specifically, at some point between last night and right now, it created about NINETEEN THOUSAND files in that folder, occupying every bit of the 39 gigabytes of free space that I had formerly had on my hard drive. File names were similar to the original poster's.

Windows gets very very unhappy when its system hard drive is completely saturated.

The Kaspersky software is no longer installed. The files had a high level of privilege protection; and the quickest way I had to get rid of them was to uninstall the software. I looked for the mentioned "Support" button, but I was not able to find it.

Hope this bug report helps someone.
richbuff
Welcome. If anyone else has this issue, please contact Tech Support: https://my.kaspersky.com/en/support/helpdesk
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.