Help - Search - Members
Full Version: Virtual Keyboard icon in IE9 (KIS 2013)
Kaspersky Lab Forum > English User Forum > Protection for Home Users > Kaspersky Internet Security & Anti-Virus for Windows
fsn121
I enabled the virtual keyboard in Firefox and IE. The icon is showing on the toolbar in Firefox but not in IE9.

I have looked around for various solutions on other forums but to no avail.

Any ideas?
Rayg
QUOTE(fsn121 @ 20.09.2012 19:49) *
I enabled the virtual keyboard in Firefox and IE. The icon is showing on the toolbar in Firefox but not in IE9.

I have looked around for various solutions on other forums but to no avail.

Any ideas?

Have you checked to see if it is enabled in IE9 addons .
fsn121
QUOTE(Rayg @ 20.09.2012 13:55) *
Have you checked to see if it is enabled in IE9 addons .

Yes it is enabled. I think this is an issue with IE...

There is also another issue where I keep getting a msg "Secure keyboard input is enabled" when entering in a password and I am not sure how to remove this msg.
Whizard
At this time you are not able to remove this message.
fsn121
QUOTE(Whizard @ 20.09.2012 16:31) *
At this time you are not able to remove this message.

OK thanks. The solution is to select the command bar in IE and then the virtual keyboard will display. Also, can I use the Windows on screen keyboard instead (is it just as safe?).

On a side issue I haven't used Safe Money yet. Is it necessarily connected to the virtual keyboard and will it ask me questions when I go onto Amazon etc?

richbuff
Also, can I use the Windows on screen keyboard instead (is it just as safe?).
The Windows on screen keyboard was designed as an Accessibility feature. It was not designed as a security feature. The Kaspersky Virtual Keyboard has security features that the Windows OSK does not have.
fsn121
QUOTE(richbuff @ 21.09.2012 02:33) *
The Windows on screen keyboard was designed as an Accessibility feature. It was not designed as a security feature. The Kaspersky Virtual Keyboard has security features that the Windows OSK does not have.

OK. I like the KIS virtual keyboard with the exception of the fact that when I go into my email I keep getting a msg "Secure keyboard input is enabled" which I can't seem to disable.
TOGS
QUOTE(fsn121 @ 21.09.2012 13:52) *
OK. I like the KIS virtual keyboard with the exception of the fact that when I go into my email I keep getting a msg "Secure keyboard input is enabled" which I can't seem to disable.

Hello....Have you tried clicking on secure data input on the bottom left on the general protection settings.

Then on the secure data input settings uncheck the box for mail and click OK.

Then click apply and OK again on the page still showing.

If still appearing you may have to do the same on the VK settings repeating the procedure above.
fsn121
QUOTE(TOGS @ 21.09.2012 14:16) *
Hello....Have you tried clicking on secure data input on the bottom left on the general protection settings.

Then on the secure data input settings uncheck the box for mail and click OK.

Then click apply and OK again on the page still showing.

If still appearing you may have to do the same on the VK settings repeating the procedure above.

Unfortunately this was already unchecked.

I am wondering if it is possible to disable the addon and then either:

- get/create a desktop shortcut for the vk icon

or

- get/create a ie/firefox command bar shortcut for the vk icon.

I am also not sure if this is protecting me unless I use the virtual keyboard as does the "Secure keyboard input is enabled" msg mean that I have to actually use the keyboard to be enabled or am I being protected better anyway!....

JanRei
Please note that secure keyboard input is unrelated the virtual keyboard.

If you see the message that secure keyboard input has been enabled, that means input via your hardware keyboard is protected from being intercepted by keyloggers. At the moment you cannot disable this message without disabling the feature as well. In case you want to disable this feature go to Settings -> Secure Data Input. Then click on "Settings" in section "Secure keyboard input" and disable all options in the settings dialog.

fsn121
QUOTE(JanRei @ 24.09.2012 17:02) *
Please note that secure keyboard input is unrelated the virtual keyboard.

If you see the message that secure keyboard input has been enabled, that means input via your hardware keyboard is protected from being intercepted by keyloggers. At the moment you cannot disable this message without disabling the feature as well. In case you want to disable this feature go to Settings -> Secure Data Input. Then click on "Settings" in section "Secure keyboard input" and disable all options in the settings dialog.

I don't really understand the difference between the Secure Data Input and the Virtual Keyboard.

Every time I enable the Virtual Keyboard add-on the secure keyboard message comes up. When it is disabled, the message goes away.

JanRei
Virtual keyboard: feature known from previous versions. An on-screen keyboard that allows you to securely input confidential data.
Secure keyboard input: new feature in version 2013. When enabled, input via normal hardware keyboard is protected from intercepted by keyloggers.
Secure Data Input: that's just category of features protecting your input from keyloggers. This includes the two features described above.

The Virtual Keyboard add-on is also responsible for providing Secure keyboard input functionality. If you want to be really accurate it should be named Secure Data Input.
fsn121
QUOTE(JanRei @ 25.09.2012 02:11) *
Virtual keyboard: feature known from previous versions. An on-screen keyboard that allows you to securely input confidential data.
Secure keyboard input: new feature in version 2013. When enabled, input via normal hardware keyboard is protected from intercepted by keyloggers.
Secure Data Input: that's just category of features protecting your input from keyloggers. This includes the two features described above.

The Virtual Keyboard add-on is also responsible for providing Secure keyboard input functionality. If you want to be really accurate it should be named Secure Data Input.

So how much safer am I enabling and using the Virtual Keyboard as opposed to not using it?
JanRei
That's not an easy question. With safe keyboard input or virtual keyboard, input of confidential data should be pretty much safe from being intercepted by keyloggers. So it adds an additional security layer for the case there is something like that on the system. Personally, I do not use these features, but maybe I would do if I did online banking with the browser.

Safe keyboard input and virtual keyboard should be about equally secure, I think.

If I understand it correctly you like the virtual keyboard, but you do not like the message that safe keyboard input has been enabled. You can disable safe keyboard input as described above. Virtual keyboard is unrelated to that and you can continue to use it.
fsn121
Well I've been using KIS since 2007 for the reason that it doesn't annoy me with pop up messages as compared to Norton or McAfee. In this case I haven't changed my settings except for the fact that Firefox is the default browser and IE is not. The message "Secure keyboard input is enabled" only comes up in Firefox even though the Virtual Keyboard add-on is enabled in both Firefox and IE. Is there an explanation for this?
JanRei
Safe keyboard input only protects input in "important" fields. By default, this mainly applies to password fields and all fields in Safe Money mode. This should basically work the same way in IE, Firefox and Chrome.

This message is an indicator whether your input is protected. It seems to work a little bit more reliable in Firefox. For me, in IE the message immediately disappears or is not shown at all if you go to a protected field by tab key.
fsn121
Thanks. I think this just about clears things up now.
Just Wondering
Hi JanRei,
You say that you don't use this feature but maybe you would if you used online banking.
Therefore, I am wondering about the security of not using them when inputting e.g. passwords into sites such as web based email. Doesn't the use of secure data input offer a degree of protection that you are missing out on, or is it the case that while its use may be needed for online banking it is not needed for password input on other sites e.g. email.
I ask because I use it for email etc but it's a real pain for me, as I've mentioned in previous posts and if I don't need to use it things would be simpler; I do use it though thinking that it offers greater protection than not but now you've go me wondering.
Regards.
JanRei
Well, safe data input adds an additional security layer. So you are safer with it than without it. But it is not the first line of defence. Its purpose is to prevent malware to get your passwords, in case you already have malware on your system - which is something that should be prevented in the first place.

In my case there are also some other things that make safe data input a bit unattractive. My main browser is Opera, because of this I cannot use safe keyboard input (only IE, Firefox and Chrome are supported). I could use virtual keyboard, but in most in cases I just stay logged in so I do not have to input passwords. Since I am the only one who can access the computer the risk should be rather small.
Just Wondering
Hi JanRei
Thank you for your response.
Cheers
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.