Help - Search - Members
Full Version: avp.exe High CPU Usage
Kaspersky Lab Forum > English User Forum > Protection for Home Users > Kaspersky Internet Security & Anti-Virus for Windows
Flying Ace
I know a lot of us have had this happen. At random times avp.exe starts overloading the CPU. It's been happening to me several times per day at random times. I've tried cleaning out the Temp folder. No help. Recently I started running Task Manager minimized so I can see the CPU Usage in the system tray. If I stop what I'm doing when it happens it goes away after about 30 seconds. But if I'm watching a video I suspect it is the cause of some system lock ups that I have had since this started a few months ago. I think it started with my upgrade to KIS 2012.

Just a few minutes ago it did it and I quickly grabbed a screen shot (attached) of the opened task manager to show what it looks like. You can see to the far left of the graph when it came about and how it progressed and then went away just before I captured the screen shot. The update speed of Task Manager is "Normal." I ran a GSI after it did it:

GSI Report

I stress that this happens when KIS should not be doing anything in particular. Not updating or anything that is showing in the log (that I know how to see). Often I am just reading a web page and haven't clicked on anything for a minute or more before the rise in CPU.

Thanks for any help!
Bill
richbuff
I think it started with my upgrade to KIS 2012.
Did you install on top of the old version?

Please un and re install Kaspersky: Uninstall Kaspersky > reboot > re install Kaspersky > reboot > do a databases update > reboot.
Flying Ace
QUOTE(richbuff @ 28.11.2011 19:23) *
Did you install on top of the old version?

Please un and re install Kaspersky: Uninstall Kaspersky > reboot > re install Kaspersky > reboot > do a databases update > reboot.

Thanks but no, I followed Don's instructions exactly by uninstalling first. I'm going to clean out my Temp folders again, too. I've had a couple lockups that when hard rebooted needed the disk checked.

This is such a prevalent problem I'd love to help find a cure. KIS 2011 never did this.
dalchina
Hi Flying Ace
Just a thought.. try running sthg like Process Monitor (Sysinternals) and you should be able to see what avp.exe is doing.

Go to the start of that, and you might see what triggers it if you're lucky.

Repeat that, see if there's anything consistent.

Process Monitor is available here:
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896645

Example screenshot shows avp.exe during a scan, and my sidebar program.

Good luck, dalchina
MikeBl
Hi everyone.

I am also having the exact same issue. It started after i updated to internet security 2012, at random times the process will spike to an even hundred and I am a PC gamer so this is a deal breaker for me.

I have 90 days left on my account and after being a Kaspersky user for nearly 6 years with multiple licences, if this matter is not resolved, I doubt I will be renewing.

The UI doesn't show any work being done, no virus scans, nothing. There I am minding my own business, playing a game and then all of a sudden everything slows down. avp is hogging about +90% which brings the total CPU load to 100%. There is nothing going on to justify this spike, and it happen on both PC's. I made a clean uninstall and re-install.
MGebhart
I am experiencing the same issue. I'll be working in a program and suddenly KIS is popping the processors from 80 to 100%. This will last for a minute or more several times a day. When I check the KIS Network monitor it's firing out outgoing traffic at an alarming rate. Automatic Update is turned off. KIS should only be listening.

When I hear that a possible solution is to uninstall and do a fresh install, I tend to get a little irritated. Not that it's a huge process but I shouldn't have to do it. I need to be working and not reloading software. dash1.gif

I will monitor this thread and hope there will be a solution.

Thanks.
rudger79
Welcome
QUOTE(MGebhart @ 5.12.2011 13:42) *
I will monitor this thread and hope there will be a solution.

2 Things:
1. Please provide a GSI report by following the four steps outlined here: http://forum.kaspersky.com/index.php?s=&am...post&p=5395

2. Open KIS > Settings > Scan (magnifying glass icon) > General Settings > Uncheck the idle scan and the Perform regular rootkit scan options > OK > Apply > OK
Flying Ace
QUOTE(dalchina @ 2.12.2011 09:30) *
Hi Flying Ace
Just a thought.. try running sthg like Process Monitor (Sysinternals) and you should be able to see what avp.exe is doing.

Go to the start of that, and you might see what triggers it if you're lucky.

Repeat that, see if there's anything consistent.

Process Monitor is available here:
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896645

Example screenshot shows avp.exe during a scan, and my sidebar program.

Good luck, dalchina

Thanks for the thoughts. I'll consider trying something like that but for now leave that to someone with more computer expertise than I.
Flying Ace
QUOTE(rudger79 @ 5.12.2011 19:27) *
2. Open KIS > Settings > Scan (magnifying glass icon) > General Settings > Uncheck the idle scan and the Perform regular rootkit scan options > OK > Apply > OK

I'll try these settings as well and see what happens.
Flying Ace
QUOTE(Flying Ace @ 6.12.2011 15:38) *
I'll try these settings as well and see what happens.

No help. This just happened. Same as always.
Flying Ace
OK everybody, I might be onto something. Yesterday I went to run my weekly backup and I couldn't get it to run. And when it tried to start the "System" process started drawing about 50% cpu usage. And closing everything on my computer (even KIS) would not stop this high CPU usage. I had to reboot to get back to normal CPU usage. But if I started the backup again the same thing would happen.

After all kinds of trials and reboots I finally tried to run just the backup on C:. It did fine. Then I tried backing up just D:. It started normally and then to my horror I saw it start to backup about 100,000 more files than usual. And the extra files were all little files. Looked like browser cache. Hmmm.

Sure 'nuff Firefox had acquired about 100,000 files in the cache folder on my D drive. I deleted the files and then my backup program ran normally. And the CPU usage was normal.

I went into the Firefox settings and evidently one of the updates to FF had changed my cache settings to allow up to 1 Gig (I had set it to 50 MB years ago) and to automatic cache management. I changed it back to 50 MB max and also to override automatic cache management. I also set FF to clear cookies and the cache when FF closes.

This is definitely too soon to know if this was the cause of my KIS high CPU usage but it did keep my backup program from running right. And so far, 24 hours later, KIS hasn't done the CPU spike.

I'll keep you all updated...

landdinesh
I have also encountered the same issue. My KIS keep on saying my license in invalid. I have another 10 months to go. Please help.

http://forum.kaspersky.com/index.php?act=p...=4&t=223078
richbuff
Welcome. Please un and re install Kaspersky: Uninstall Kaspersky > reboot > install Windows 7 Service Pack 1 > re install Kaspersky > reboot > do a databases update > reboot.
MGebhart
QUOTE(rudger79 @ 6.12.2011 03:27) *
Welcome
2 Things:
1. Please provide a GSI report by following the four steps outlined here: http://forum.kaspersky.com/index.php?s=&am...post&p=5395

Thank you for the heads up and the response.
Dotchi
I've been having this problem for the past few days as well. I've uninstalled/reinstalled/updated and still my pc usage keeps jumping up to 100%. Here is the GIS Report

The Malwarebytes program has been installed on this pc for years, and has not caused any problems with Kaspersky before.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.
richbuff
Welcome. You have a 64 bit operating system, so another 1 GB of ram to equal 4 GB ram would be nice.

Please clean install version 2012. Clean install instructions, links and tips are located in the second and third Important topics. After you clean install version 2012, do a databases update > reboot.
Dotchi
QUOTE(richbuff @ 14.12.2011 23:48) *
Welcome. You have a 64 bit operating system, so another 1 GB of ram to equal 4 GB ram would be nice.

Please clean install version 2012. Clean install instructions, links and tips are located in the second and third Important topics. After you clean install version 2012, do a databases update > reboot.

Thank you. The removal tool seemed to make the difference in the uninstall/reinstall process. So far it's running normal. But I'm guessing the new version of Kaspersky no longer allows the Malwarebytes program, as it uninstalled that before reinstalling.
Marko13
QUOTE(Dotchi @ 15.12.2011 11:13) *
Thank you. The removal tool seemed to make the difference in the uninstall/reinstall process. So far it's running normal. But I'm guessing the new version of Kaspersky no longer allows the Malwarebytes program, as it uninstalled that before reinstalling.

Yes, it is removed automatically before when installing 2012, but you can reinstall free version of MBAM after you have installed KIS.
Flying Ace
Bad news. I've been working at home on my computer all day and had one of the usual avp.exe CPU spikes this morning and again just a few minutes ago. I didn't catch it this morning quick enough for a screen shot but the one a few minutes ago I got. Exactly like all of the others. I wasn't doing any CPU intensive work at the time so it didn't affect the operation of the computer. If I didn't have the Task Manager running minimized I wouldn't have known the two today had even happened.

So that is a suggestion...Anyone having this problem please consider running the task manager minimized all of the time for a few days and see if you can catch your system doing this more often than you realize. It usually catches my eye if I'm looking at the screen. Of course anyone else curious may do the same and we might find this is a bigger (or smaller!) problem than we realize.
Don Pelotas
Have you tried to turn off the Idle scan and rootkit scan (in the scan settings) which runs at a schedule & in some configs can have this kind of effect. Reboot after that and see if this have any effect.
Flying Ace
QUOTE(Don Pelotas @ 21.12.2011 16:39) *
turn off the Idle scan and rootkit scan

I'll try that and see what does or doesn't happen. But just 10 minutes ago I, for the first time, saw the system do a Rootkit Scan. Another benefit of having the Task Manager running minimized. The Rootkit Scan caught my attention and I thought it was going to be another 90%+ CPU spike but it just hovered around 15-20%. I was captivated and expected it to explode but after it went on for a minute or more I went into the detailed log and saw it was a Rootkit Scan. It lasted about 3 minutes so I must have noticed the last minute or so because when I got into the log it had just finished.

I don't want to rule out the possibility that having both Idle Scan and Rootkit Scan enabled in the scan settings is the cause of the "Big Ones" so I have disabled them and re-enabled my old scheduled middle of the night Saturday morning Full Scan.

I don't often work all day at home and get the opportunity to catch this so it might be after the holidays before I confidently know what effect this has.

Thanks Don and all that are working on this. Also, I do have a ticket active with Kaspersky so hopefully we'll find a cause for these.

Bill
graptolite
QUOTE(Flying Ace @ 10.12.2011 23:50) *
I went into the Firefox settings and evidently one of the updates to FF had changed my cache settings to allow up to 1 Gig (I had set it to 50 MB years ago) and to automatic cache management. I changed it back to 50 MB max and also to override automatic cache management. I also set FF to clear cookies and the cache when FF closes.

I'll keep you all updated...

I have encountered the same problem, with avp.exe registering 99% CPU in the Task Manager. I turned off Firefox automatic cache management and set it to 100 MB max. That by itself seems to have fixed the problem.
Flying Ace
And for an update on my attempts I have been out of town for the holidays and haven't had the chance, I think, to give my system a good opportunity to do the CPU spike. I think I saw the end of one last week but can't be sure.

In the past it seems that if I spend a day working at my keyboard then I will have at least one and maybe two of the "normal" spikes (90%+ CPU usage for about 30 seconds). When they happen it seems I am not needing the processing power for anything because I am just studying data on web pages. And if not for the running task manager I don't think I'd even know they were happening.

I'm still in the investigation phase for the CPU spikes but I think the case is closed on my system lockups and hangs on shut down. That has not happened a single time since I cleared out those cache files, reset Firefox to not store over 50 MB of them and set Firefox to delete them on shutdown. I also have had no more trouble with my backup program. If I were giving advice to those with similar problems I'd say, like many of the very experienced users here on the forum, to clean out the temp folders and then I'd add the above about browser cache. I'm amazed at the effect they can have.
Flying Ace
Update, maybe final? I haven't had (or at least seen) any of the big CPU spikes in weeks. I don't have any one thing that I've found that has cured it. The best things that I think I did to maybe help stop them were to:

1. Deselect Perform Idle Scan
2. Deselect Perform regular rootkit scan
3. Delete all the temp files
4. Delete all the browser cache and reset the browser to keep better tabs on it

I now have regular Full scans and Rootkit scans scheduled for the middle of the night. I've seen how the Rootkit scans can up the CPU usage and now certainly do not ever have that happen when I'm working during the day.

Although no one thing seemed to be a magic fix, the combination of the above appears to have stopped any noticeable, unexplained CPU spikes. I hope this has helped others, too!

Thanks to all that gave help.

Flying Ace
It didn't take long for me to be pretty sure I'm still getting the CPU spikes. I caught one at the end yesterday morning but too late to positively verify that it was avp.exe but the symptoms were identical. I would say though that they are not slowing down my system or locking it up like they did when they first started.

On another, maybe related note. Look at the attached screen shot. This was during some clean up rebooting. Notice at the beginning of KIS loading it is calling itself, avp.exe, an "Unknown application" and denying something. Could this be impacting how KIS is internally working to the point of sometimes causing CPU spikes? I'm really reaching way above my knowledge here so please those with a better understanding let me know if it means anything.
lostsomething
QUOTE(Flying Ace @ 28.01.2012 16:34) *
It didn't take long for me to be pretty sure I'm still getting the CPU spikes. I caught one at the end yesterday morning but too late to positively verify that it was avp.exe but the symptoms were identical. I would say though that they are not slowing down my system or locking it up like they did when they first started.

On another, maybe related note. Look at the attached screen shot. This was during some clean up rebooting. Notice at the beginning of KIS loading it is calling itself, avp.exe, an "Unknown application" and denying something. Could this be impacting how KIS is internally working to the point of sometimes causing CPU spikes? I'm really reaching way above my knowledge here so please those with a better understanding let me know if it means anything.

Having the same problem here. Intermittently when playing games cpu usage would spike to 100% for around 30 seconds. I wasn't even sure what was causing it since the task manager would show the high cpu usage but no listed program would be showing any activity. Finally I gave Process Explorer a try and it's definitely avp.exe that's doing it.

I did try turning off idle scans and rootkit scans so it's definitely not either of those.
Flying Ace
QUOTE(lostsomething @ 8.04.2012 03:14) *
it's definitely avp.exe that's doing it.

I did try turning off idle scans and rootkit scans so it's definitely not either of those.

After doing all of the things in this thread and even trying some things that Tech Support recommended I have to admit that my CPU spikes have not completely been cured. But honestly they are so small and far between that for months now I have not even been looking for them. Once every few weeks one will be big enough that I'll notice and just sit back for a few moments while it passes. The pluses of KIS 2012 are enough for me to be patient for a possible complete fix in the 2013 version.

One more piece of advice from my experience is to be possessed in the quest to keep programs from running things in the background. In my case I found a program was routinely "defragging" snapshots that would trip KIS into raising the avp.exe resources and together would lock up my system until it was finished. Even though KIS lets you select "concede resources" I have not seen that to be effective. So many various things going on in our systems that make KIS jump in resource use or just on their own boost resource use.

Between Tech Support and the extremely knowledgeable folks in this forum I am confident that all that can be done has been done in my case.
lostsomething
QUOTE(Flying Ace @ 9.04.2012 02:48) *
After doing all of the things in this thread and even trying some things that Tech Support recommended I have to admit that my CPU spikes have not completely been cured. But honestly they are so small and far between that for months now I have not even been looking for them. Once every few weeks one will be big enough that I'll notice and just sit back for a few moments while it passes. The pluses of KIS 2012 are enough for me to be patient for a possible complete fix in the 2013 version.

One more piece of advice from my experience is to be possessed in the quest to keep programs from running things in the background. In my case I found a program was routinely "defragging" snapshots that would trip KIS into raising the avp.exe resources and together would lock up my system until it was finished. Even though KIS lets you select "concede resources" I have not seen that to be effective. So many various things going on in our systems that make KIS jump in resource use or just on their own boost resource use.

Between Tech Support and the extremely knowledgeable folks in this forum I am confident that all that can be done has been done in my case.

If I had any other program to scrutinize I'd be looking at that instead. I haven't seen any other program spiking in usage at the same times avp.exe starts going out of control and avp itself doesn't give me any indication of what it's doing when it happens.

As for frequency... hard to be sure exactly but it certainly happens more than once a day. Hard to notice if you're not in a game but if you are you've got about 30 seconds of framerate dropping down into the single digits while the sound starts looping in the most horrible ear-grating fashion imaginable until it recovers. Since gaming is a primary function of my computer I am inclined to consider it a serious problem.
lostsomething
I'm still a bit hesitant to say it but I *think* uninstalling / reinstalling Kaspersky may have fixed the problem. At least it's been two days since I've done so and I haven't had a reoccurrence since.
lostsomething
QUOTE(lostsomething @ 11.04.2012 14:26) *
I'm still a bit hesitant to say it but I *think* uninstalling / reinstalling Kaspersky may have fixed the problem. At least it's been two days since I've done so and I haven't had a reoccurrence since.

At this point I think I can definitely say that did indeed fix it.

Of course since I didn't add / remove any other programs that would seem to indicate that it was not in fact another program triggering the spikes...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.