Help - Search - Members
Full Version: What does Kaspersky do?
Kaspersky Lab Forum > English User Forum > Protection for Home Users > Kaspersky Internet Security & Anti-Virus for Windows
bigguy
As a new KIS 2011 user, I want to ask a very elementary question.
When Kaspersky encounters malware, what exactly does it do...does it quarantine or remove the bad file automatically or what?
I know that this is a simple question but if I don't know something, I ask.
Thank you for your help.
unsure.gif
dh27564
Yes. The default mode is for Kaspersky to determine the best course of action. That may be to disinfect, delete, quarantine, etc. There is an option to work in an interactive mode where Kaspersky allows the user to make these decisions if the user feels competent enough to do so.
Leon B.
QUOTE(dh27564 @ 23.01.2011 18:57) *
Yes. The default mode is for Kaspersky to determine the best course of action. That may be to disinfect, delete, quarantine, etc. There is an option to work in an interactive mode where Kaspersky allows the user to make these decisions if the user feels competent enough to do so.

Also,

By default, Kaspersky is set up to take an action automatically when a threat is found. The order is the following: 1)Disinfect. If desinfection is not possible, then 2)Quarantine. if impossible, then 3) Delete.

Keep in mind that there are different ways to detect threats. Depending the way it was detected, this order may change. All this settings are fully customizable, as part of the Kaspersky's habilities: is the capability of configure all what you want.

Furthermore, if a suspicious activity is found by the proactive defense, it will prompt the user for an action.

Hope to be clear and helpful, if not, please let us know.

Cheers

Leon B.
dawgg
In addition, to see Kaspersky's actions when a threat is detected, try to download the eicar test file.
It is a clean innocent file which almost all antiviruses detect in order to double-check the antivirus is working.

When you try to download it, it would simulate a scenario where you accidently attempt to download a malicious file.
If you disable Kaspersky's web-antivirus and download it, it will simulate a scenario where a malicious file is already on your computer.
It is recommended you enable Kaspersky's web-antivirus again if you had disabled it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.