Help - Search - Members
Full Version: Neutralize threats (problem)
Kaspersky Lab Forum > English User Forum > Protection for Home Users > Kaspersky Internet Security & Anti-Virus for Windows
saakeman
Hi all
I have a computer, that have kaspersky anti virus 2011 on it.
When it detects a virus and I say neutralize, it does not delete or disinfect the files !
it just keeps on saying threats have been found, neutralize ( when malewarebyts are run (on demand) it deletes the viruses)

I would like to know is this some kind of bug?
I have not yet installed the latest update of the program (not the virus definitions (that are update daily)

Thanks saakeman
dh27564
Kaspersky may have already eliminated the threat(s).

Please post a screenshot of Detected Threats > Active Threats (drop-down Box) with columns widened so all text is visible. Instructions if needed:

1. Display Detected Threats– Active Threats (with columns widened so all text is visible).
2. Press the “Prt Scr” key (usually next to the F12 key).
3. Open the Paint program (Start > All Programs > Accessories > Paint).
4. Select Edit > Paste > File > Save As (jpeg or png).
5. When replying, Browse > click once to select file > Open > Upload > add reply.
dh27564
QUOTE(saakeman @ 10.10.2010 14:37) *
I have not yet installed the latest update of the program ...

saakeman: What version of Kaspersky are you using? You can find this information by clicking the K icon and selecting About. There was a bug in 11.0.0.232 that caused Kaspersky to neutralize threats but not refresh the screen. If you are using .232, you should consider a clean upgrade to the latest version .400 (another version replacing .400 is due out next week if you want to wait for that build). Instructions are located in the 4th Important Topic.

Once you have completed the clean install, update, then run a Full Scan.

If you already have .400 installed, post the screen shot asked for above.

saakeman
QUOTE(dh27564 @ 10.10.2010 23:01) *
saakeman: What version of Kaspersky are you using? You can find this information by clicking the K icon and selecting About. There was a bug in 11.0.0.232 that caused Kaspersky to neutralize threats but not refresh the screen. If you are using .232, you should consider a clean upgrade to the latest version .400 (another version replacing .400 is due out next week if you want to wait for that build). Instructions are located in the 4th Important Topic.

Hi
i still have the old version ( 11.0.0.232)
i will update it and see how it goes

thanks
mom-2-3
QUOTE(dh27564 @ 10.10.2010 14:01) *

I am having the same trouble, but I already have .400 installed. screen shot uploaded. Any ideas?
dh27564
QUOTE(mom-2-3 @ 11.10.2010 12:24) *
I am having the same trouble, but I already have .400 installed. screen shot uploaded. Any ideas?

Can you widen the Detected and Object columns so all the text is visible. Click and drag the small vertical lines separating the column headers so we can read all the text. Then post another screen shot.
mom-2-3
QUOTE(dh27564 @ 11.10.2010 09:45) *
Can you widen the Detected and Object columns so all the text is visible. Click and drag the small vertical lines separating the column headers so we can read all the text. Then post another screen shot.

another screen shot....
dh27564
If the first 3 items are from a known, trusted source, you can right-click them and add to exclusions.

I'm not certain about the 4th item Here are a couple options that come to mind. (1) Wait until a moderator or another member comes along with a definitive answer, or (2) Select the 4th item and then click Move to Quarantine. This will protect your machine while waiting for advice. You will always be able to restore it from Quarantine by right-clicking and selecting Restore. Additionally, quarantining the file also gives you the option to send it to the virus lab for analysis (right-click > Send to Lab)
mom-2-3
I tried sending it to quarantine, but when I clicked on quarantine, it sent me to Documents, where there was a box for me to type in the name of the file, and then I could choose "open" or "cancel." Is this normal?
primobos
Actually, you could try right-clicking on the file and selecting "Process".
If that doesn't work, just delete the file manually.
dh27564
QUOTE(mom-2-3 @ 11.10.2010 13:40) *
I tried sending it to quarantine...

Display Detected Threats (as in your screen shot). Click the 4th item once to highlight it, then click Move To Quarantine (upper-left below Active Threats box). That should move the file to Quarantine. To see what's in Quarantine, click Quarantine on the main screen. Right-clicking the file once in Quarantine offers additional options. The file cannot harm your machine in Quarantine and can be restored if necessary.
saakeman
QUOTE(dh27564 @ 11.10.2010 19:59) *
Display Detected Threats (as in your screen shot). Click the 4th item once to highlight it, then click Move To Quarantine (upper-left below Active Threats box). That should move the file to Quarantine. To see what's in Quarantine, click Quarantine on the main screen. Right-clicking the file once in Quarantine offers additional options. The file cannot harm your machine in Quarantine and can be restored if necessary.

hi all thanks for posting
Will moving the file to quarantine, be the safest way ?

thanks
mom-2-3
QUOTE(dh27564 @ 11.10.2010 10:59) *

That's what I tried. When I go to the quarantine area, it shows nothing in there.

I have also tried rebooting my computer. Same result. I tried updating and rescanning.

Interestingly, when I told Kaspersky to scan the location file of the 4th item, it said it found no threats. UGH!!!

Thanks for trying.
dh27564
Sorry, the first instructions I gave you are used to locate a file you believe is infected but Kaspersky is missing. That's why a Browse box opens - so you can locate the file. I apologize for the confusion.

Right-click the file. Is there an option Move to Quarantine?
mom-2-3
QUOTE(dh27564 @ 11.10.2010 11:42) *
Sorry, the first instructions I gave you are used to locate a file you believe is infected but Kaspersky is missing. That's why a Browse box opens - so you can locate the file. I apologize for the confusion.

Right-click the file. Is there an option Move to Quarantine?

No such option. another screen print attached with options shown on right click. Thanks!
dh27564
See primobos's post #10
mom-2-3
QUOTE(dh27564 @ 11.10.2010 12:22) *
See primobos's post #10

Tried "Process" and nothing happened. Still in list.
Also tried deleting manually, but keep getting an error message that I do not have permission to access C:\documents and settings.

Thanks.

I did re-scan c:\documents and settings, and the scan found no threats. I suppose it is possible that the threat has already been removed, but I cannot clear the "red alert" status.

Thanks.
dh27564
QUOTE(mom-2-3 @ 11.10.2010 15:39) *
... but I cannot clear the "red alert" status.

Try this: Click on the file again and select Clear List. Next, EXIT Kaspersky from the "K" icon. Reboot. Run a manual update. Post back results.
mom-2-3
QUOTE(dh27564 @ 11.10.2010 12:45) *
Try this: Click on the file again and select Clear List. Next, EXIT Kaspersky from the "K" icon. Reboot. Run a manual update. Post back results.

Guess it's all good now - back to green, no threat detected. Must have been deleted last time, but K did not reset itself after clearing.

Thanks!
dh27564
I should have asked which version of KIS you are using. Click the K icon and choose About. If you are using .232, there was a bug in it which causes what you described. A clean upgrade to .400 as described in the 4th Important Topic should correct this.
mom-2-3
QUOTE(dh27564 @ 11.10.2010 13:39) *
I should have asked which version of KIS you are using. Click the K icon and choose About. If you are using .232, there was a bug in it which causes what you described. A clean upgrade to .400 as described in the 4th Important Topic should correct this.

Already running .400! Just installed yesterday. Thanks
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.