Help - Search - Members
Full Version: Need to update Kaspersky databases - how?
Kaspersky Lab Forum > English User Forum > Protection for Home Users > Kaspersky Internet Security & Anti-Virus for Windows
BuckyHarris
I'm really confused. This is my second year of using Kaspersky Internet Security -- the first year went just fine, and I still have 154 days left on my current Kaspersky license. Today I got a pop-up from Kaspersky saying my databases are out of date. That doesn't make sense because I thought that's why I bought a year's worth of protection.

Anyhow, when I click the Kaspersky "Fix it now" button, some sort of endless download process says it's starting -- but 2 hours later, there's no progress.

So I go to the present forum, see an announcement from June 8 saying everybody should upgrade to the latest version.

But I don't see any clear step-by-step instructions.

I go to the recommended Product Updates page, click the button for Kaspersky Internet Security 2011, and again, some sort of download process says it's starting, but after a bit it just seems to stall.

I want my computer to be protected. What should I do?
dh27564
Is your system time & date correct?

Here is how to clean upgrade to the latest version.

1. Download the latest version and save it to your desktop. http://www.kaspersky.com/productupdates
2. Exit KIS2010 by right-clicking on the K icon in the system tray and select Exit.
3. Uninstall Kaspersky using Windows Add/Remove control panel. During the un-install, you will be prompted to Keep Activation Data. Be sure to select this (untick all others).
4. Reboot
5. Install the new version.

Note: It’s always a good idea to have your activation code handy (00000-00000-00000-00000) just in case.
BuckyHarris
Thanks for the clear and quick reply! Yes, my system time and date are correct.

In fact, the process I initiated before posting my initial message eventually bore fruit, and after some long downloads & reboots, Kaspersky now says it's up-to-date, and Windows has no complaints.

So my problem seems to be fixed. But I must say that Kaspersky could have handled this issue in a more efficient and user-friendly way.

It seems to me that either the update process should have happened automatically, or Kaspersky should have notified me what to do, rather than just giving me a pop-up telling me that my databases were out of date.

And it would help if the Product Update page told me exactly what I was downloading when I clicked 2011, and gave me a clearly labeled ongoing status bar -- the way, e.g., Windows or iTunes updates work.

(I may sound like a dumb naive newbie, but believe me, where I work I'm considered as an advanced computer user, and people often ask me for help, so I suspect a big chunk of the U.S. population is even more dumb & naive than I am.)

Anyhow, thanks again.

QUOTE(dh27564 @ 20.06.2010 00:00) *
Is your system time & date correct?

Here is how to clean upgrade to the latest version.

1. Download the latest version and save it to your desktop. http://www.kaspersky.com/productupdates
2. Exit KIS2010 by right-clicking on the K icon in the system tray and select Exit.
3. Uninstall Kaspersky using Windows Add/Remove control panel. During the un-install, you will be prompted to Keep Activation Data. Be sure to select this (untick all others).
4. Reboot
5. Install the new version.

Note: It’s always a good idea to have your activation code handy (00000-00000-00000-00000) just in case.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.