Help - Search - Members
Full Version: About Anti-Banner
Kaspersky Lab Forum > English User Forum > Protection for Home Users > Kaspersky Internet Security & Anti-Virus for Windows
mike21
Hi. I am a new Kaspersky user and must say that I am impressed.
About anti-banner:
It stops the ads but it leaves an ungly white space. I compared it with firefox's adblock extension, which is the premier adblocker today and following are the results. Please note that adblock shrinks the banner (or ad) and doesn't leave any white spaces (or white banners). The first 3 snaps are ads blocked by Kaspersky and the last three are snaps of ads blocked by adblock. The third and sixth pictures are from yahoomail and because the background color of yahoomail is white the contrast if very fade and not bothering - however if the background is blue, black or any dark color the banner left from kaspersky is a bit bothering.

FadeToBlack
Yeah, well I think that it leaves white spaces just to let you know that there was a banner or an ad. I don't know if you can get rid of those spaces...
Lucian Bara
QUOTE(FadeToBlack @ 23.06.2006 20:45)
Yeah, well I think that it leaves white spaces just to let you know that there was a banner or an ad. I don't know if you can get rid of those spaces...

i have a fealing that this is related to a flash player update, i also saw them after a while, but not at first.
TonyW
You think the white spaces are annoying? Wait till you use a host file, and then you'll see 'page not displayed' or similar messages where the ads are supposed to be.

I do agree it would be nice if they could be shrunk somewhat. Another example below. I dunno what betanews looks like using adblock.
Don Pelotas
QUOTE(TonyW @ 23.06.2006 22:40)
You think the white spaces are annoying? Wait till you use a host file, and then you'll see  'page not displayed' or similar messages where the ads are supposed to be.

I do agree it would be nice if they could be shrunk somewhat. Another example below. I dunno what betanews looks like using adblock.

Tony, this is what Betanews looks like with a hostfile and with both anti-banner/admuncher disabled. wink.gif
TonyW
Don, I never got that when I tested the MVPS host file. sad.gif How did you manage that?
al.
QUOTE(lucianbara @ 23.06.2006 19:47)
i have a fealing that this is related to a flash player update, i also saw them after a while, but not at first.

Look at: http://lab.at/kav/anti-banner/

It's a simple test that includes an image and an iframe with an image (twice). The background of the iframe is not set. FF makes this all blue. Opera and IE7 OTOH make it white.

So either it's a transparency problem or the author should set the background...
But it's nothing a proxy should do anything about.

/al
Don Pelotas
QUOTE(TonyW @ 24.06.2006 01:37)
Don, I never got that when I tested the MVPS host file. sad.gif How did you manage that?

I'm not doing anything special, so i can't say why.
Lucian Bara
QUOTE(al. @ 24.06.2006 08:04)
Look at: http://lab.at/kav/anti-banner/

It's a simple test that includes an image and an iframe with an image (twice). The background of the iframe is not set. FF makes this all blue. Opera and IE7 OTOH make it white.

So either it's a transparency problem or the author should set the background...
But it's nothing a proxy should do anything about.

/al

no, i mean the yellow-graysh color (if that word exists), this comes up only where flash things were.
al.
You know, I use NoScript and Flashblock, I won't see flashes ever... wink.gif

In one of those threads around der was an issue with white rectangles on blue background in Opera (and you complained about it), that came from the iFrame. wink.gif

/al
mike21
QUOTE(Don Pelotas @ 24.06.2006 00:04)
Tony, this is what Betanews looks like with a hostfile and with both anti-banner/admuncher disabled. wink.gif

You are using admuncher? I was using it for long time when I stopped using adblock (in view of constant CPU hangs and 100% usage when loading pages) but then I stopped using admuncher as well after I noticed a drop in my upload speed.

In this respect (download/upload speed reduction) how do you compare admuncher and Kaspersky’s anti-banner?

QUOTE(TonyW)
You think the white spaces are annoying? Wait till you use a host file, and then you'll see 'page not displayed' or similar messages where the ads are supposed to be.

I do agree it would be nice if they could be shrunk somewhat. Another example below. I dunno what betanews looks like using adblock

I totally agree with you that's why I stopped using MVP's hosts file. Here's how I see betanews with modified hosts file and this is the reason I am still looking for the ideal ad-block software (I think I tried most of them: adblock, admuncher, flashblock, RIP, NoScript, hosts file and some others not worth mention)

man2007
QUOTE(FadeToBlack @ 23.06.2006 20:45)

in mcafee the same AntiBanner = KIS AntiBanner
Antivirus McAfee not = Antivirus Kaspersky
McAfee Updata for virus Every 7 days
KASPERSKY Updata Every 1 Hour for new virus
iam try the antivirus
Kaspersky
McAfee
Norton
AVG
Nod32
Bitdefender
Trend micro
pccilin
found the best Kaspersky
and AntiBanner is new in Kaspersky 6.0
McAfee:cannot clean the compress file rar , zip McAfee deleted the file compress when infect (deleted all file clean or not in ex zip file)
norton: cannot detection any virus in Rar file ex. virus in file virus.rar when scan in the file not detection
Kaspersky:is very best for my
FadeToBlack
I am sure it is smile.gif, however this is not on topic, and you are right when saying that Anti-Banner is new in KIS 6 and I think that it will be improved.
man2007
QUOTE(FadeToBlack @ 24.06.2006 15:44)
I am sure it is smile.gif, however this is not on topic, and you are right when saying that Anti-Banner is new in KIS 6 and I think that it will be improved.

very nice smile.gif thank you
and thank you all in the forum kaspersky best site for any problem and solution
for the best KIS and KAV (6.0)
Whizard
I use the latest Admuncher. Adding it to TrustedZone seems to solve those issues for me smile.gif
TonyW
QUOTE(mike21 @ 24.06.2006 08:02)
I totally agree with you that's why I stopped using MVP's hosts file. Here's how I see betanews with modified hosts file and this is the reason I am still looking for the ideal ad-block software
I'd love to nail down why Don doesn't see those messages, and we do. Is DNS Client disabled for example? I disabled it as advised, but still see those messages. Does it make a difference if using XP Home or Pro? I'm using Home. Using a router or modem? I'm using an ADSL modem. With Firefox, IE or Opera? I'm using Firefox, altho I think results are same in IE if memory serves me right.

There HAS to be a reason why Don doesn't see those messages.

The ugly server messages are the sole reason why I don't use a host file. I'd LOVE to be able to see it as Don does.
Don Pelotas
QUOTE(TonyW @ 24.06.2006 20:33)
I'd love to nail down why Don doesn't see those messages, and we do. Is DNS Client disabled for example? I disabled it as advised, but still see those messages. Does it make a difference if using XP Home or Pro? I'm using Home. Using a router or modem? I'm using an ADSL modem. With Firefox, IE or Opera? I'm using Firefox, altho I think results are same in IE if memory serves me right.

There HAS to be a reason why Don doesn't see those messages.

The ugly server messages are the sole reason why I don't use a host file. I'd LOVE to be able to see it as Don does.

I use Opera & Maxthon, only IE for WU and do not like Firefox at all (i know, i'm in a minority group wink.gif ), so only try it for a periode every 2-3 months and when users report weird behavior in combination with Kav/Kis.

I use both home & pro versions of XP........maybe you should try Maxthon, you could use the ad-plugins in this and might get rid of these white spaces this way, not sure because i do not use them. I use a router.
TonyW
Well, there's two things there that are different, Don. You use Maxthon and a router. I wonder what mike21 uses.

I just did a test with the host file and IE. It doesn't show server messages, leaving white spaces instead similar to KIS' Anti-Banner UNTIL you leave a page. I get results like this - first result shows white space followed by cancelled message after clicking a link: (KIS' Anti-Banner was turned off.)

Btw Don, that earlier screenshot from betanews - was that in Opera or Maxthon? (Sorry for asking, I'm just trying to eliminate ponderables. smile.gif)
Don Pelotas
QUOTE(TonyW @ 24.06.2006 21:12)
Btw Don, that earlier screenshot from betanews - was that in Opera or Maxthon? (Sorry for asking, I'm just trying to eliminate ponderables. smile.gif)

I really can't remember, but try with Maxthon first, it has several features that might be helpful to you, for ad/popup blocker see screenshot.

P.s. I do not normally use anti-banner in KIS either.
TonyW
I have been using the Anti-Banner in KIS, and have to say it is very effective. (I only turned it off to test the host file in Firefox and IE, but the blocks are almost similar bar the cosmetic aspect.) Yes, you do see white spaces on white backgrounds, or the area is transparent on patterned backgrounds, but the ads are gone.
TonyW
I've been doing a bit of testing across different browsers including Maxthon, with or without host file, and numerous browser specific settings. (KIS' Anti-Banner turned off for most tests unless specified.) My conclusion is the way pages display are either browser and/or site dependent, and nothing to do with the host file as I originally thought.

Take Maxthon for instance. With a host file and its own ad blocker turned off, betanews looks like this:

Click to view attachment

With Maxthon's Web Ads Blocker enabled, the same page looks like this: (I didn't untick the option to replace the blocked ad with the default text in Options - this is probably why Don has a small space in his screenshot.)

Click to view attachment

Without the host file, Maxthon's own ad blocker results look like the second picture. If you turn off their ad blocker and use KIS' Anti-Banner, you get this:

Click to view attachment

All these tests don't prove a great deal as there are variations even with some sites. For example, using Maxthon with their ad blocker off and a host file, 123greetings looks like this:

Click to view attachment

But with Maxthon's ad blocker on, it looks exactly the same! With their blocker off, no host file and KIS' Anti-Banner on, it looks like this:

Click to view attachment

At the end of the day, people will only notice differences when they start using alternative browsers. It's clear Firefox presents the server messages with a host file, but others don't even though they may display things differently depending on their settings or whether they have their own ad blocking mechanisms. Even those act differently under certain situations. It's also apparent it depends on which site you go to and how that has been coded.

Back to testing KIS' Anti-Banner tho. wink.gif
TonyW
QUOTE(TonyW @ 25.06.2006 16:36)
(I didn't untick the option to replace the blocked ad with the default text in Options - this is probably why Don has a small space in his screenshot.)
An idea occurred to me so I set out to test s theory. If you replace the ad block text in Options with a space, one will get the same result as Don showed in his screenshot. If you just leave it unticked, you'll get the same result as with KIS' Anti-Banner.
mike21
QUOTE(TonyW @ 24.06.2006 22:12)
Well, there's two things there that are different, Don. You use Maxthon and a router. I wonder what mike21 uses.

Hi. I use almost exclusively Firefox. Although new ie7 has some new features, I cannot switch as I really like:

- Begin finding when you begin typing

- Allow text to be selected with the keyboard

as well as the many search plugins and some fantastic extensions, like

- Hit-a-Hint

- Super DragAndGo

- BugMeNot

Adblock is very nice but I usually open many tabs from one webpage and as the new tabs open, in some cases I am getting 100% CPU usage and hangs, which bothers me therefore I switched to admuncher and now I am thinking drop admuncher and use Anti-Banner, because I noticed a slow down in my upload speed with admuncher. Has anyone experienced speed slow downs with AdMuncher?

Finally another problem with hosts file is that you cannot block a specific image from a site. You can block the domain or not, but not only a couple of bothering ads.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.