Help - Search - Members
Full Version: Issues.. 1406 error
Kaspersky Lab Forum > English User Forum > Protection for Home Users > Kaspersky Internet Security & Anti-Virus for Windows
FishYWishY
Right i'm after some help as im at the end of my tether and feel like taking a sledge hammer to my system....

Windows 7 64 btw..!

A few days ago I noticed that my RAM usage was way too high (3.8gb with MSN and Google Chrome running..) found out a file in the Windows media player folder (WMPNetworkSvc) was using 2.8gig, and would restart itself if you killed the process. Initially I couldn't even delete the file as it would say i didn't have access, found out how to change the settings (had to take ownership of the file etc), finally I could delete the file, which has solved that issue.

However, as I was thinking it may be a virus etc issue I went and bought kaspersky to replace my old zonealarm setup, uninstalled ZA, rebooted, tried to install Kaspersky (v .736) and it won't have any of it... gets most of the way through the installation before a window pops up saying theres been an error, click OK and the installation continues, until it tries to write to the registry before an error occurs telling me it's a 1406 error and that there's not permission to write to the registry (found the error: Product: Kaspersky Internet Security 2010 -- Error 1406.Could not write value EnableSelfProtection to key \SOFTWARE\KasperskyLab\protected\AVP9\settings. System error . Verify that you have sufficient access to that key, or contact your support personnel.), therefore can't install the file.. obviously that then leaves me with nothing, so for the time being im on a trial version of ZA extreme, no virus' found from that scan but im not convinced...

I then thought, balls to it, i'll format (patience wearing thin as i've only just sorted out a family member's PC which had virus' on it, my other reason for thinking I may have a virus..!) however windows will not recognise my OS disc....at bootup it shows the boot from CD line, but doesnt say about pressing any key, and even if you try, it goes straight into loading windows, the CD is above the HD on the boot sequence so it's not that. Even in windows, it will not see the disc, other discs it reads fine, but the Win 7 it will not.. the disc is perfectly clean as has only been used once in late October when it arrived through the post...!

I've tried researching for solutions however nothing has worked so far. Really hope someone can help!

Cheers,

Andy
dawgg
Re: Installing Kaspersky... Verify you have and install it with Administrator privileges

Re: Booting from Windows7 CD... Windows7 disk is a DVD. Ensure the drive is a DVD drive and it is still reading other DVDs and if you have multiple CD or DVD rom drives, ensure you inserted the Windows disk into the correct drive. I presume it is a DVD drive, as that is the only way you could install it in the first place.
FishYWishY
Yep i've ran it as the administrator, tried using my friends kaspersky IS 2010 disc as it's a slightly older version but same issue but least the system detected the disc and tried to install it. I have performed a disc check on the OS HD, which took about 90 mins! Didnt seem to find anything wrong.

Yes it's a DVD drive & yes it recognised other dvd's, i tested the discs tonight on my friends PC and they were fine so it's definitely my PC playing up.

Cheers,

Andy
FishYWishY
right, this morning I tried my spare SATA dvd drive, and windows detected the DVD, yaaay! so somehow my main dvd drive is faulty. so have formatted this morning, and installed kaspersky straight away, all good! ran an updated scan of the other HD's and nothing found, so hoping it was just a case that maybe some files, aswell as the dvd ended up somehow corrupt!

thanks for the help Dawgg smile.gif

Andy
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.