Help - Search - Members
Full Version: Kaspersky Internet Security, Windows 7 / 64-bit [Merged]
Kaspersky Lab Forum > English User Forum > Protection for Home Users > Kaspersky Internet Security & Anti-Virus for Windows
mirux
One question here.

I have Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit)

Why KIS 2010 (736 - windows 7 compatible) is on C:\Program Files (x86)\Kaspersky Lab (32 bit version "Program Files) installed and not to C:\ProgramFiles\Kaspersky Lab ??

I have tried other security software (trial) like BitDefender IS 2010 (64 bits) and NOD32 v.4 (64 bits) and the install was on C:\Program Files\*.*

KIS 2010 support 64 bits isn't ?? If the answer it's "YES", why KIS2010 is installing on folder of 32 bits ? (C:\Program Files (x86)\Kaspersky Lab )

Thank you.
Lucian Bara
hello
the drivers are 64 bit, the process is 32 bit, which has no penalty what so ever on performance or features.
mirux
QUOTE(Lucian Bara @ 22.10.2009 19:00) *
hello
the drivers are 64 bit, the process is 32 bit, which has no penalty what so ever on performance or features.

Ok, maybe in the future, I hope Kaspersky Team, will make the process running on 64 bits. Anyway, I think it's some diference on arhitecture of 32 bits and 64 bits, on 64 bits operating systems, isn't ?

Thank you for answer smile.gif
JanRei
Like Lucian said it's important that the drivers are compatible with 64 bit, which is the case. Turning KAV/KIS into a full 64 bit application will not have any real advantages, so I would not expect that this will be changed in near future.
Lucian Bara
yes, main thing is using over 2 GB of ram - the limit of memory/process (see kis using 10GB of ram, that's not needed). there's also some additional registers (you can keep for variables stored in registers, which isn't something a lot of end user applications do anyway), additional instruction set (the SSE stuff - kis is not a multimedia application, so useless)
dvk01
When will there be a full 64 bit version of KIS/KAV

that is a version that actaully installs to program files & is full 64 bit compatible NOT running as a32 bit process instead of a full 64 bit process
richbuff
Merged, to the most recent of many threads on this topic. Please see posts #2, 4 and 5.
dvk01
QUOTE(JanRei @ 22.10.2009 17:18) *
Like Lucian said it's important that the drivers are compatible with 64 bit, which is the case. Turning KAV/KIS into a full 64 bit application will not have any real advantages, so I would not expect that this will be changed in near future.

There is a vast difference in features & advantages of running as a full 64 bit application instead of as a 32 bit process, not least the ability to protect itself from malware attacks and the lesser load on a computer system

all 32 bit applications running on a 64 bit system take a small amount of extra processing power where they are virtualised & not running directly under the processor architechure

This does give a miniscule oportunity for the bad guys to bypass any AV running as a 32 bit process ( it is almost impossible to do but it can be done)

having 64 bit drivers doesn't make an application fully 64 bit compatible

We are all just stsrting to get removal tools to work on 64 bit systems ( although hopefully they won't need a lot of use becaue at this time the bad guys haven't got round patch guard yet so can't install unsigned drives or patch drivers or services on 64 bit BUT they can attack any 32 bit process running under 64 bit)

Lucian Bara
all 32 bit applications running on a 64 bit system take a small amount of extra processing power where they are virtualised & not running directly under the processor architechure

the processor has 32 bit features, the x64 is an extension, so amd64 and intel home user cpu's have native x86 instructions on them. the only emulation occurs on itanium cpu's.
Ross L
Hi,

On reading the forum, I have noticed references to a version of KIS for 64bit installations. I have searched and I cannot find it. Could someone point me in the right direction please.

Cheers,

Ross

edit: Merged to the most recent topic.
EPR35
KIS is ready for both 32/64 bit
See system requirements
http://www.kaspersky.com/kaspersky_internet_security
antikythera
they both use the same installer file or distribution CD. the only difference is the driver files which are installed after the program detects which operating system you use.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.