Help - Search - Members
Full Version: New to Kapersky, could you help, please? [ Vulnerabilities ]
Kaspersky Lab Forum > English User Forum > Protection for Home Users > Kaspersky Internet Security & Anti-Virus for Windows
Nat22
I have downloaded the KIS trial (ver 8.0.0.506), and I get a lot of messages saying it is very or highly dangerous unsure.gif I think it is for updates....

I right clicked on the message and was directed to a site, but there I get problems. I don't see the relation between the info in this page and the message I got. Some have been solved but now, I am blocked. They are Bonjour, Adobe, and Windows mainly.

Anyone have the same, or can help?

I work in windows XP SP3

Thank you very much
DonKid
You can read about vulnerabilities here.
Nat22
I have already read it. The files are not temp or cache. They are plugins, annots etc... and when I open the site, I see nothing related, I tried to download some, nothing changed
rudger79
Hi.

Alomg with what DonKid provided (which has nothing to do with temp files or cacheing BTW) you can read what Don Pelotas says about vulnerabilities. http://forum.kaspersky.com/index.php?s=&am...st&p=841600

Basically the notorious vulnerable software(s) are Java, quicktime, adobe reader & flash. You should just need to update these to current versions which means uninstalling via the control panel, rebooting, and then going to the web sites and downloading and installing the latest version for your OS.

Sometimes microsoft office patches are needed also. Could you post a screenshot of those detected threats? smile.gif

How to take and post screenshot: PrtSc (Print screen) key (upper right part of keyboard)> open Paint (Start > All programs > Accessories) > Edit > Paste, File > Save as (jpeg or
png, Not bmp). When replying, Browse > click once to select file > Open > Upload > add reply.
Nat22
Thanks,

My main issue is to UNinstall completely a file, big pain, as the word says "uninstall" doesn't completely, Ccleaner either... but I can use those to install.

Here is my screenshot. Of course I can exclude them, but it is often useful to know when there are some updates that I am not automatically warned.

Thanks a lot for your help
rudger79
Hi.

You can right click on those and select "go to description" and it should offer a solution to update. Not familiar with bonfour but there is probably a newer version that you need to update to.

Uninstall adobe reader (via the control panel) and then download and install the latest one here: http://get.adobe.com/reader/

As far as the windows SxS items, they can be ignored. There has been much discussion about these and should not be messed with if the patch solution does not work. smile.gif
Nat22
I went to go to description, there are many possibilities, that I can't see the relation to the message. As for Bonjour, I KNOW that I need it (I tried to delete it once unsure.gif) , I don't remember why, so I probably can exclude it...

Thanks dash1.gif
david1965
I'm also new just purchased a new computer and changed my virus scanner from Norton's to Kaspersky.If I use Windows update and install the so called important updates and run the full scan afterwords it finds the Vulnerabilitie MSXMI4.dll I'm guessing kaspersky fixes it because it dosent show up again untill I run live update again on windows.

The Geek Squad at Best Buy says its nothing to worry about but wanted a 2nd opinion.
DonKid
What live update we´re talking about here ?
If it´s from Norton, please read this topic to remove these leftovers from Symantec.
Kalanhi
QUOTE(DonKid @ 21.05.2009 00:53) *
If it´s from Norton, please read this topic to remove these leftovers from Symantec.

MSXML4 has a lot of fixes at MSFT depending on the operating system and one has to read carefully Since i have xp MSXML4 Sp2 (KB954430) Worked for me. After applying the fixes enclosed screenshot is the file dates that I find after doing a search for the MSXML4.DLL files It looks like there has been a Jan 09 patch from MSFT. If you follow the path shown in the vulnerabilities to the virusdefinitions site the number will show you the links to MSFT for the updates. Anyway, this DLL no longer appears in vulnerabilities
david1965
QUOTE(DonKid @ 21.05.2009 00:53) *

I was talking about the windows update in Vista.Its a new computer and I didnt install my Nortons.
david1965
I downloaded the patch but it still shows up now and then on a full scan but running a search on MSXMI4.DLL it looks like this was discussed on here before back in 2008 so guessing its either a MS problem or a false vulnerbilitie from KAS and not a threat.
richbuff
In what folder is it detected? Post screenshot of Detected > Active threats. With columns widened to show full name and object details.

How to take and post screenshot: PrtSc (Print screen) key (upper right part of keyboard)> open Paint (Start > All programs > Accessories) > Edit > Paste, File > Save as (jpeg or
png, Not bmp). When replying, Browse > click once to select file > Open > Upload > add reply.

david1965
QUOTE(richbuff @ 22.05.2009 04:57) *
In what folder is it detected? Post screenshot of Detected > Active threats. With columns widened to show full name and object details.

I ran another scan and its not coming up now so next time I get the message i will post it..

thanks!
david1965
I did something wrong with the screenshot but here is the Kaspersky message and location of file..The computer was purchased a couple of weeks ago.

5/21/2009 10:02:29 PM Detected: http://www.viruslist.com/en/advisories/23655 C:\Windows\SysWOW64\msxml4.dll

sysWow64
msxml4.dll 9/12/2006 5:51 pm application extens
Kalanhi
QUOTE(david1965 @ 22.05.2009 06:13) *
I did something wrong with the screenshot but here is the Kaspersky message and location of file..The computer was purchased a couple of weeks ago.
5/21/2009 10:02:29 PM Detected: http://www.viruslist.com/en/advisories/23655 C:\Windows\SysWOW64\msxml4.dll
sysWow64
msxml4.dll 9/12/2006 5:51 pm application extens

Clear the vulnerabilities then highlight system Security and then click system analyzer. Does the vulnerability reappear? You may not be clearing your detected vulnerabilities before you rescan. Did you download for the 64 bit version? After I corrected this problem, when I installed my Harmony Remote control, the problem came back and I had to fix it again.
To post a screen shot push the print screen button at the top of your keyboard.
Next Start>All Programs>Accessories>paint
Next edit>paste
Next select box and click drag to encircle the part of the screen shot you want to keep
next edit>cut
next file>new (click No to save?)
next edit>paste (you will now have the info for your screen shot
next save>filename>JPG (select desktop icon on left)
you now have a screenshot that can be uploaded. So in your reply window click the browse button and select the filename you gave it and click open then upload.
david1965
I have been clearing them but didn't run analyzer I ran it this time and found 5 errors so I clicked on fix ran it again and the errors were gone.Not sure if the errors pertained to the vulnerabilitie or not.

After that I ran two more full scans and it returned the first time and was gone the 2nd time.I'm at a loss as to why sometimes the scans come up clean and then it returns.Should you run scans with no other windows open ?? not connected to the internet or anything?? It never shows up in scans when I'm offline.

Kaspersky found a virus also but it was queanteed and I deleted it from qurantine I stummbled on the virus running a search on this vulnerbilitie so in the future I will only search this site for related info.

Not sure what you meant by 64 bit upgrade the computer and Kaspersky were purchased new two weeks ago and I update Kaspersky everyday and download the important upgrades from windows.

thanks again for the help.

Kalanhi
QUOTE(david1965 @ 22.05.2009 23:04) *
I have been clearing them but didn't run analyzer I ran it this time and found 5 errors so I clicked on fix ran it again and the errors were gone.Not sure if the errors pertained to the vulnerabilitie or not.

After that I ran two more full scans and it returned the first time and was gone the 2nd time.I'm at a loss as to why sometimes the scans come up clean and then it returns.Should you run scans with no other windows open ?? not connected to the internet or anything?? It never shows up in scans when I'm offline.
Kaspersky found a virus also but it was queanteed and I deleted it from qurantine I stummbled on the virus running a search on this vulnerbilitie so in the future I will only search this site for related info.
Not sure what you meant by 64 bit upgrade the computer and Kaspersky were purchased new two weeks ago and I update Kaspersky everyday and download the important upgrades from windows.
thanks again for the help.

WOW64
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
WoW64 (Windows-on-Windows 64-bit) is a subsystem of the Windows operating system that is capable of running 32-bit applications and is included on all 64-bit versions of Windows — including Windows 2000 Limited Edition, Windows XP Professional x64 Edition, IA-64 and x64 versions of Windows Server 2003, 64-bit versions of Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008, as well as 64 bit editions of Windows 7. WoW64 is designed to take care of all the differences between 32-bit Windows and 64-bit Windows, particularly involving structural changes to Windows itself
MSFT has fixes for both 32 bit machines and 64 bit computers of MSXML 4. Since you are showing WOW64 It appears that you have a 64 bit machine. You have to carefully go through the list of fixex at the viruslist site to select the correct fixes
Check your computer documentation.
Be sure to clear your recycler also for then scan again
As to scans, your scan settings can be changed. you may have changed your scan technique to scan for oly new files etc. You can always revert back to default.
please read thoroughly the following link. Skywalker has gone to great detail to help new users. you have a very powerful tool and there is a learning curve to understand. http://forum.kaspersky.com/index.php?showt...mp;#entry661049

david1965
I checked the settings and they seem corect have security settings at high and nothing checked in the optimization area.The fix listed on the virus page for my system is the one installed on my computer.Guess there is not much more I can do.Thanks for the sugestions.
Kalanhi
QUOTE(david1965 @ 23.05.2009 00:19) *
I checked the settings and they seem corect have security settings at high and nothing checked in the optimization area.The fix listed on the virus page for my system is the one installed on my computer.Guess there is not much more I can do.Thanks for the sugestions.

Is it this one?
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;displaylang=en
You can also post a screenshot of your Kis Settings page with the scan folder clicked for mod help
david1965
QUOTE(Kalanhi @ 23.05.2009 01:22) *
Is it this one?
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;displaylang=en
You can also post a screenshot of your Kis Settings page with the scan folder clicked for mod help

Yes if you check the programs it lists on my computer the one in your link is listed MSXML 4.0 SP2 KB954430 and also MSXML 4.0 SP2 KB925672
Kalanhi
QUOTE(david1965 @ 23.05.2009 01:39) *
Yes if you check the programs it lists on my computer the one in your link is listed MSXML 4.0 SP2 KB954430 and also MSXML 4.0 SP2 KB925672

try leaving 30 and removing 72 in add remove programs and see if that fixes you
david1965
QUOTE(Kalanhi @ 23.05.2009 01:48) *
try leaving 30 and removing 72 in add remove programs and see if that fixes you

I removed 72 and it came back after that so I tried to remove 30 and downloading it again from the link you left instaed of Windows Update.After I did that I couldn't find the 30 in the add removes program anymore but I ran 5 full scans and one System Analyzer scan in the last 10 minutes or so and all came back clean.
david1965
QUOTE(david1965 @ 23.05.2009 05:40) *
I removed 72 and it came back after that so I tried to remove 30 and downloading it again from the link you left instaed of Windows Update.After I did that I couldn't find the 30 in the add removes program anymore but I ran 5 full scans and one System Analyzer scan in the last 10 minutes or so and all came back clean.

Ran another scan and it came back guess I have to give.with so many having this problem I doub't its a problem where someone can hack into my computer but at least I'm living in the dark ages with dial-up so more secure then high speed.
Kalanhi
http://support.kaspersky.com/faq/?qid=208279732
read this
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.