Help - Search - Members
Full Version: Banner Ad Blocker Whitelist ineffective 8.0.0.454
Kaspersky Lab Forum > English User Forum > Protection for Home Users > Kaspersky Internet Security & Anti-Virus for Windows
GaryL
I've set techbargains.com on my white list in Banner Ad Block Settings.. but the site doesn't load the images that correspond to each special. The only way I can get the images to show is by disabling the "Banner Ad Blocker" Filter.
Can someone help? Isn't the whitelist all-encompassing? It appears that when they're displayed, they are JPG's or Gifs, not links of any sort.
shah jahan
The ads are not hosted on techbargains.com

The website uses advertising services so you need to exclude those ads services that is used by this site.
These are some thats used by techbargains.com... you might want to add these to the Whitelist, but i wouldnt prefer that because that means these whitelisted ads would also show on other websites that utilise the same source.

These are some used on the site:

yugster.com
*tqlkg.com*
lduhtrp.net
*160x600*

yceml.net
anrdoezrs.net
google-analytics.com/*.js

Its better to show us a screenshot of the location of a specific ads area, so that we may only try to whitelist that particular source.
GaryL
QUOTE(GaryL @ 25.02.2009 12:55) *
I've set techbargains.com on my white list in Banner Ad Block Settings.. but the site doesn't load the images that correspond to each special. The only way I can get the images to show is by disabling the "Banner Ad Blocker" Filter.
Can someone help? Isn't the whitelist all-encompassing? It appears that when they're displayed, they are JPG's or Gifs, not links of any sort.

** Thanks Shah! I'll attach the list via word doc.. couldn't figure out how to paste-in a screen splash in this message. Yes, don't want to add all those ads to the whitelist. Whatever we could do to get around this is appreciated.. really like the pics that accompany the specials.. !! Makes viewing SO much quicker!
No change involved with this issue.. with the KIS09 .506 update?
shah jahan
Yeah quite a huge list, especially with the Heuristics Analyzer ON.
Like i said if you could show me the specific page and on screen location, it would be easier to pin point an ads source.
because it would be easier to either disable Heuristics Analyzer and/or AntiBanner.. that would make more sense rather than whitelisting a very big number of ads source.
GaryL
QUOTE(GaryL @ 25.02.2009 13:26) *
** Thanks Shah! I'll attach the list via word doc.. couldn't figure out how to paste-in a screen splash in this message. Yes, don't want to add all those ads to the whitelist. Whatever we could do to get around this is appreciated.. really like the pics that accompany the specials.. !! Makes viewing SO much quicker!
No change involved with this issue.. with the KIS09 .506 update?

Here's a new attach.. with descript
It appears to me, they're harmless pics/jpg/gifs.. should they really be considered ads?
shah jahan
Hey

I assume the image i have posted below is what you are calling the 'center special' and the image with the red border is what you want to see? I dont use that site or anything similar to it, so im sorry its not clear to me what are the 'Specials'

This is what the site looks to me with Anti Banner ON
..and I dont see a difference between this and the images you attached.

++ Could you also try using a different browser to see if the difference if about browsers or settings, because i have tried this on Firefox3 and Opera9.63 (They are safer than IE7, so its a bonus for you) and also upgrade to the latest KIS
And disable 'Heuristics Analyzer' if you are using it with IE7.

and do tell me if im missing something, because it seems something is not clear. What you are calling ads is actually product image and not real ads.. am I right? and none of this is being blocked by Anti Banner!

* How to take a screenshot - CLICK HERE
GaryL
Click to view attachment
Yes, you're correct. that's the area (as stated above, simple jpgs or gifs) of images I'm concerned about. Not sure what browser you're working within, but I'm on IE7. I'm aware of different browser actions, but I'm with IE7. I'm now updated with the latest KIS, to no affect. Still have images blocked. WITH Heuristics DISABLED, they now appear, as desired. Bottom line, I feel I need to keep Heuristics enabled for overall safety. Will not.. JUST for this site, disable it. TRULY FEEL THAT KIS'S WHITELIST FUNCTION IS INADAQUATE FOR MY SITUATION! FEEL THIS IS A SHORTCOMING in the WHITELIST "DIS-Functionality".
Thanks for refreshing me on the paint prog.. had it removed in place of my other screengrab program.
shah jahan
QUOTE(GaryL @ 1.03.2009 03:04) *
Click to view attachment
Yes, you're correct. that's the area (as stated above, simple jpgs or gifs) of images I'm concerned about. Not sure what browser you're working within, but I'm on IE7. I'm aware of different browser actions, but I'm with IE7. I'm now updated with the latest KIS, to no affect. Still have images blocked. WITH Heuristics DISABLED, they now appear, as desired. Bottom line, I feel I need to keep Heuristics enabled for overall safety. Will not.. JUST for this site, disable it. TRULY FEEL THAT KIS'S WHITELIST FUNCTION IS INADAQUATE FOR MY SITUATION! FEEL THIS IS A SHORTCOMING in the WHITELIST "DIS-Functionality".
Thanks for refreshing me on the paint prog.. had it removed in place of my other screengrab program.

I had checked with IE7/O9.63/FF3

Heuristics of AntiBanner has nothing to do with the direct security of your system.
Its much better to use Opera than IE7 (in my opinion); Yes it takes a while getting used to a new interface, but it is still lighter/faster than IE7...
Heuristics of AntiBanner works best with IE7, but then.. its "Heuristics".. so you could always have issues with that. Keeping Heuristics Disabled IMO is better. Its not easy to whitelist countless complex and similar looking entires blocked by AB.

Regarding your whitelisting suggestion, well.. make a suggestion in the appropriate section. May be KIS should have an option to skip AntiBanner options for certain websites only.. I would like it to be better too smile.gif

Anyways, good that your problem is now solved by turning off Heuristics smile.gif
Don Pelotas
QUOTE(GaryL @ 1.03.2009 00:04) *
Click to view attachment

The bottomline is that you have gotten this ALL wrong i'm afraid, the anti-banner heuristics are NOT important to your "overall safety", it's an extra option and like all other options they can have a negative impact with regards to individual needs. The site is a crazy site with regards to ads and they are clearly doing their best to shower you with ads.

However again, this has NOTHING to do with your safety which will be just fine even if you disabled the anti-banner completely.
GaryL
OK Don.. I think. but since my main question is white list function, can you address the benefit of putting something on it, or does it not work.. like this layman thinks it should?
Otherwise, I take Banner Ads as one thing.. & inserted products pics.. as another. One's useful.. the other, A BANNER AD!
shah jahan
GaryL...
As mentioned above, those images were picked up by AntiBanner 'Heuristics' which work according to some specific algorithm trying to "guess" what is an ad and what is not... that why it is called "Heuristics".
Unfortunately we cannot comment exactly why those images were picked, this is something that only the developers could comment on.

Blocking ads may be good because.. Banner Ads can:
1) Distract user, resulting in loss of productivity (bigger picture)
2) Eat bandwidth (especially slower connection types)
3) *May* advertise fake products (could lead to a financial fraud or install malware) etc

However, as already mentioned by Don and myself.. AntiBanner is an additional (non-essential_ component in KIS that blocks ads).

These are some of the ads blocked by AntiBanner Heuristics:

CODE
/25/2009 12:58:49  PM    http://i.dell.com/images/global/products/314x314/config314_xps1330_blk.jpg    Internet  Explorer    Denied    Heuristic analysis

CODE
2/25/2009 12:58:49  PM    http://images.gamefly.com/images/games/p/129430p.jpg    Internet  Explorer    Denied    Heuristic analysis

CODE
2/25/2009 12:58:49  PM    http://c1.neweggimages.com/NeweggImage/ProductImageCompressAll200/96-368-007-01.jpg    Internet  Explorer    Denied    Heuristic analysis

CODE
2/25/2009 12:58:49  PM    http://snpi.dell.com/sna/images/products/mlrg/CN_I630504.JPG    Internet  Explorer    Denied    Heuristic analysis

So, its not easy to whitelist links like these (4 A4 pages long), so the best option is to disable AntiBanner Heuristics...
Beleive me.. you are not losing any security.
Infact its better to 'ditch' IE7 if you wanted more security.
...and if someone really insisted on using IE7 with Heuristics and visited that site then he/she could 'search' and individually whitelist each image wink.gif

May be you are confusing Heuristics of AntiMalware components with the Heuristics of AntiBanner, they are not even remotely related! So you really dont need to worry about this smile.gif

And BTW, I dont know why you dont see those images, but even with AntiBanner ON (plus Heuristics).. I still see those images.

...anyways goodnight biggrin.gif
Don Pelotas
QUOTE(GaryL @ 1.03.2009 00:37) *
OK Don.. I think. but since my main question is white list function, can you address the benefit of putting something on it, or does it not work.. like this layman thinks it should?
Otherwise, I take Banner Ads as one thing.. & inserted products pics.. as another. One's useful.. the other, A BANNER AD!

Sure it works, you have add to the whitelist in the "correct way" and sometimes with sites like this one it will take too much tweaking to make sense even bothering considering the lenght they have gone to.

Otherwise you should consider investing in a clever program dedicated to this kind of thing entirely like Admuncher.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.