Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Closed TopicStart new topic
> Registry Cleaner, Need Advice
Mr.Till
post 7.08.2008 04:21
Post #1

Group: Members

cool.gif I have a quick question....Does Kaspersky Internet Security clean and repair my registry or do I need to purchase another software program? If so, which product works with Kaspersky?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Lucian Bara
post 7.08.2008 04:26
Post #2

Are You Kidding?

Group: Gold beta testers

hello
no, that's not kis's job. There are few to none registry cleaners which conflict with kis.

+Quote Post
dave16
post 7.08.2008 10:20
Post #3

Advanced Member II

QUOTE(Lucian Bara @ 6.08.2008 20:26) *
hello
no, that's not kis's job. There are few to none registry cleaners which conflict with kis.

I don't really view getting a specialized registry cleaner as practical. Whenever I uninstall something, I delete the leftover files, then run regedit and delete the left over registry entries in there, then its all gone. Even if you don't know how to do that, its not a must have. The average computer user, or at least from what I've seen, does not have one. Of course this is my opinion, but back to the point, as stated above Kaspersky does not do that, you could do trials of registry cleaners you like to see if they are compatible or not.

+Quote Post
Graak
post 7.08.2008 12:19
Post #4

My favorite non free Registry cleaner is Registry Mechanic by PC Tools (Same People who Make Spyware Doctor and Spyware Doctor W/AV(. Now there is a trial download but it doesn't actually fix anything so you can see what it could fix. There is also database updates like an AV/AS software and it has some Windows optimization tools, mainly stuff Windows can do already or just easily links to Windows stuff. It even has a registry compactor as well to save space and optimize the registry. Plus it has it's own set of registry tweaks. Never had an issue with this one, and of course it can back up the registry 1st just in case there is an issue.

My favorite free one is CC Cleaner. Never compared this one and Registry Mechanic as to which one does a better job at cleaning the registry but this one does a similar kind of cleaning. No Registry compactor or optimization or tweaks, and this one can back up the registry as well before you make any changes. It also has some Windows optimization tools as well. Same stuff that you can probably do in Windows already, or this program has links to the tools. Not sure of these tools are the same set as Registry Mechanic persay. CC Cleaner also updates itself like an AV/AS program.

From what I can tell if Kaspersky is installed and running ok, it will not break anything. No idea if running a registry cleaner will make any version of Kaspersky's registry guard go nuts. Never tried on a machine with Kaspersky persay. I will say is that I used both softwares, together or seperately on various different Vista and Windows XP machines of different kinds of HW and Software configurations and age and except on rare occasions I have never had any issues with either software breaking something.

Just look them both up on Google

--------------------
Socrates looks at the crowd surrounding him on his death bed and says those immortal last words: "I drank what?"

+Quote Post
Mr.Till
post 8.08.2008 02:32
Post #5

QUOTE(Lucian Bara @ 7.08.2008 03:26) *
hello

ay.gif I thank you very much, I am new to this and I'm just trying to take better care of my PC. Once again, Thank You, Mr. Till

+Quote Post
Mr.Till
post 8.08.2008 02:37
Post #6

QUOTE(dave16 @ 7.08.2008 09:20) *
I don't really view getting a specialized registry cleaner as practical. Whenever I uninstall something, I delete the leftover files, then run regedit and delete the left over registry entries in there, then its all gone. Even if you don't know how to do that, its not a must have. The average computer user, or at least from what I've seen, does not have one. Of course this is my opinion, but back to the point, as stated above Kaspersky does not do that, you could do trials of registry cleaners you like to see if they are compatible or not.

I greatly Appreciate your input and time! Thankyou, Mr. Till

+Quote Post
Duke53
post 8.08.2008 02:42
Post #7

Advanced Member I

I have always heard that registry cleaners can do more harm than good. Does any know if this is true?

--------------------
Mobo: Asus P5WDH Delux Wireless
CPU: Intel Core 2 DUO 2.40 GHz
RAM: Kingston HyperX DDR2-800 2 GIGS
PSU: Seasonic 550W
HDD: Seagate Barracuda SATAll 320 GB
Video Card: Asus GeForce 7600GT 256MB Silent
Sound: Realtek HD Audio
Monitor: CTL 201LX - LCD 20 inch
KIS 2012 ( 12.0.0.374 )
IE 8 Browser
Firefox
Google Chrome

+Quote Post
Mr.Till
post 8.08.2008 02:45
Post #8

QUOTE(Graak @ 7.08.2008 11:19) *
My favorite non free Registry cleaner is Registry Mechanic by PC Tools (Same People who Make Spyware Doctor and Spyware Doctor W/AV(. Now there is a trial download but it doesn't actually fix anything so you can see what it could fix. There is also database updates like an AV/AS software and it has some Windows optimization tools, mainly stuff Windows can do already or just easily links to Windows stuff. It even has a registry compactor as well to save space and optimize the registry. Plus it has it's own set of registry tweaks. Never had an issue with this one, and of course it can back up the registry 1st just in case there is an issue.

My favorite free one is CC Cleaner. Never compared this one and Registry Mechanic as to which one does a better job at cleaning the registry but this one does a similar kind of cleaning. No Registry compactor or optimization or tweaks, and this one can back up the registry as well before you make any changes. It also has some Windows optimization tools as well. Same stuff that you can probably do in Windows already, or this program has links to the tools. Not sure of these tools are the same set as Registry Mechanic persay. CC Cleaner also updates itself like an AV/AS program.

From what I can tell if Kaspersky is installed and running ok, it will not break anything. No idea if running a registry cleaner will make any version of Kaspersky's registry guard go nuts. Never tried on a machine with Kaspersky persay. I will say is that I used both softwares, together or seperately on various different Vista and Windows XP machines of different kinds of HW and Software configurations and age and except on rare occasions I have never had any issues with either software breaking something.

Just look them both up on Google

Very good information, I Truly thank you from the bottom of my hard drive bp.gif LOL

+Quote Post
richbuff
post 8.08.2008 04:06
Post #9

Are You Kidding?

Group: Global moderators

QUOTE(Duke53)
I have always heard that registry cleaners can do more harm than good. Does any know if this is true?

Yes, true. Don provides tips in this area, in his pinned post-Norton clean up topic. Carefully follow those directions (which include back up creation, of course) in the order presented, and all should be good.

--------------------
Please see the Important topics, located at the top of this section, and at the top of other sections of this forum.

+Quote Post
Graak
post 8.08.2008 04:27
Post #10

Your welcome. Allot of these cleaners are not legit and are as bad as "Win Anti Virus Pro XP 2008 with Anti Spyware Vista Edition with extra fake alerts and false positives with no way of removal except to mess up your system with total data loss an restore without a scan with something as good as Kaspersky" LOL. So be careful which one you use and download. Di research and make sure it is legit. Other than JV16 Power Tools which has allot more features than I normally need so i hardly ever use it, for just a plain old registry cleaner, those are the two and I have used and have the most success with. I know they are legit and work well and have been made for years. PCTools can make good stuff depending on the product, and CC Cleaner has been around forever. Registry cleaner is good to use every once and a while, like temp cleaner or a defragmentor. Keeps PC running smooth. Forget registry entries Mallware, Spyware and Viruses leave behind, or entries other Security Suites no longer used leave behind, but any software could leave registry entries behind. Maybe cool if you plan to reinstall that product, but if you never do, then why have it sit there taking up space. The Registry is the hardest thing to keep clean but in my opinion on a Windows based PC, the most important thing that needs it. If a registry cleaner is smart enough like an Security suite to know what registry values and keys are bad, no longer needed, need repair and can repair them while helping the registry take less space, so be it. Because for most people reading a few hundred page book on how the registry works and how to manipulate stuff in it manually and all the math involved in doing so may not be feasible. Microsoft knows that when they wrote current Windows that the registry can become a moster and I am sure they are grateful that third party Apps like Registry Mechanic and CC Cleaner exist for the reason. But just like fake AV/AS Secuity apps. There are fake Registry Cleaners as well so be careful.

This post has been edited by Graak: 8.08.2008 04:35

--------------------
Socrates looks at the crowd surrounding him on his death bed and says those immortal last words: "I drank what?"

+Quote Post
Halo326
post 8.08.2008 04:39
Post #11

BTW its CCleaner. Not CC Cleaner. Stands for Crap Cleaner.

http://www.ccleaner.com/

+Quote Post
TrueGreen
post 8.08.2008 05:41
Post #12

Kaspersky Fan II

I've used both CCleaner (after each use of computer) and RegSeeker (free) occaisionally and haven't had any problems. Both programs provide for backups of the deleted items. As to whether or not registry cleaners are good or bad, I've read both opinions.

--------------------
Make sure you ACTIVATION CODE is listed and backed up in your My Kaspersky Account.

+Quote Post
Graak
post 8.08.2008 12:32
Post #13

Thanks for the spell correction on ccleaner lol. Yeh Crap Cleaner. Never heard of Reg Seeker. But I am usre there are tons of Legit ones that work just as well that I have not heard of or tried. I just know about the ones I have used for myself and professionally. Opinion wise, I have heard both too. I will say that it depends on the computer, it's configuration, what version of Windows is installed, and what is installed in general. My thing is, unless you suspect something is not working right in Windows and the registry is the cause, or your PC is running slow and HW specs are ok, No VIRI and Spyware on your PC, and you have already defraged and looked at Startup options in terms of what you have starting up or running in the background, then a registry cleaner may be for you. There are good reasons why they are out there, but again, I say only use one when you need it. Computer is running, shutting down, or starting up slowly, There are some programs that have uninstalled but you need the rest of the registry entries gone for it and there is no "Removal Tool" for that application and you don't know how or don't want to clean up the registry manually, or you have a problem with something in Windows or an App. in general and you think the registry is the cause, so possibly a Registry cleaner may fix allot of those issues as well in a generic kind of way. Otherwise most people do not need one. I cleaned up spyware and a few viruses on a PC belonging to someone I knew. As part of the cleanup I ran Registry Mechanic. It found over 300 items that were bad in the registry. The Computer a 2006 Sony Laptop running Windows XP and soon to be 2 gigs of Ram (now has 1 GIG), is much better once I ran Registry Mechanic. Not like Damn that is better or fast, but still I could tell a difference. But could the person whose laptop I worked on tell a difference? Who knows.

--------------------

+Quote Post
King Grub
post 8.08.2008 12:34
Post #14

Kaspersky Fan I

The best I have used is the one included in TuneUp Utilities. Cleans a lot more than, for example, CCleaner, yet it has never, ever removed anything in error.

+Quote Post
John R
post 29.09.2008 12:32
Post #15

Just found this thread on registry cleaners, and would like to warn others of a distastrous weekend I've just had. I have System Mechanic 7 by Iolo installed, and run it every month or so to keep my PC "running smoothly". (This really means that I have a rather old CPU and mobo and I want to try and run my Racing SIM game without it freezing dry.gif !!)

Anyway, after running System Mechanic I had to reboot my PC for the clean-up to take effect. Upon restart I found I had no personal data whatsoever, everthing from the desktop wallpaper to emails, pictures, contacts, music, EVERYTHING gone. I couldn't find any roll-back on System Mechanic so I tried a System Restore in Windows. I went back over 2 weeks to ensure a pre-service pack 3 version of XP, but of course still no data.

Obviously it looked like a virus had attacked my system so I ran a full virus scan with KIS 2009. It found no malware at all. I then contacted my very useful forum Virtual Doctor and was advised to try some freeware recovery programs, Recuva and PC Inspector. This I did, but Recuva came up with no results except an Invalid File message; PC Inspector did find one or two spreadsheets etc., but no emails and a lot of zero-byte files.

I resigned myself to rebuilding my personal data from all the various bits of back-up I have done over the years, but I have not been disciplined enough to do back-ups regularly and most files are very old. What is very scary is that the entire folder structure remains intact, but with absolutely no files in any of them.

So I learned a lesson today. Avoid Registry Cleaners! I await a reply to my email to Iolo to see what they have to say... angry2.gif

+Quote Post
Stalker72
post 29.09.2008 15:12
Post #16

Advanced Member II

Be careful! The Windows Registry is extremely sensitive! wink.gif

I've tested a bunch of registry cleaners. From those I've tested, I can only recommend CCleaner, WinUtilities and TuneUp Utilities 2008.

Registry Mechanic deleted some important System32 files and destroyed my PC. I do not recommend installing it! nono.gif

Stalker72

+Quote Post
Ross Sethji
post 29.09.2008 15:41
Post #17

Advanced Member I

I would say

The registry cleaner is like an axe. If you know how to use it you can use it as a powerful tool but if you don't really know how to use it you can someday hit your leg with it.

and
The most important thing to bear in mind is that you are the one who always makes the final decision, that's why it's very important that you don't do anything with things you are not familiar with.

and as Lucian already said, there are few to none registry cleaners which conflict with kis.

--------------------
» Compaq Presario SR1030IL
...KIS 2011
---------------------

+Quote Post
TrueGreen
post 29.09.2008 17:37
Post #18

Kaspersky Fan II

QUOTE(John R @ 29.09.2008 11:32) *
Just found this thread on registry cleaners, and would like to warn others of a distastrous weekend I've just had. I have System Mechanic 7 by Iolo installed, and run it every month or so to keep my PC "running smoothly". (This really means that I have a rather old CPU and mobo and I want to try and run my Racing SIM game without it freezing dry.gif !!)

Anyway, after running System Mechanic I had to reboot my PC for the clean-up to take effect. Upon restart I found I had no personal data whatsoever, everthing from the desktop wallpaper to emails, pictures, contacts, music, EVERYTHING gone. I couldn't find any roll-back on System Mechanic so I tried a System Restore in Windows. I went back over 2 weeks to ensure a pre-service pack 3 version of XP, but of course still no data.

Obviously it looked like a virus had attacked my system so I ran a full virus scan with KIS 2009. It found no malware at all. I then contacted my very useful forum Virtual Doctor and was advised to try some freeware recovery programs, Recuva and PC Inspector. This I did, but Recuva came up with no results except an Invalid File message; PC Inspector did find one or two spreadsheets etc., but no emails and a lot of zero-byte files.

I resigned myself to rebuilding my personal data from all the various bits of back-up I have done over the years, but I have not been disciplined enough to do back-ups regularly and most files are very old. What is very scary is that the entire folder structure remains intact, but with absolutely no files in any of them.

So I learned a lesson today. Avoid Registry Cleaners! I await a reply to my email to Iolo to see what they have to say... angry2.gif

I'm trying to be constructive here, but I think you learned the wrong lesson. You should consider a backup program such as Acronis True Image, or similar, and back up before trying any new program, especially ones you're not familiar with. I use Acronis and even if you can't get into windows you can restore your entire system because you can get into acronis and run it before getting into windows. It's saved me many times. You will need a usb external hard drive or a slave drive to get the most from these backup programs. As to cost and time, it's paid for itself many times over for me.

--------------------
Make sure you ACTIVATION CODE is listed and backed up in your My Kaspersky Account.

+Quote Post
bamapete
post 29.09.2008 19:03
Post #19

Advanced Member III

I'm a die hard Ccleaner user. I've used it for both computers on a regular basis for over a year now with zero problems. I use it every day at shutdown, both its file cleanup and registry cleanup. It's free, has a backup function, fast, very small footprint, frequently upgraded, and has superb reviews.

--------------------
XP/SP3, Firefox. KIS 2012 v11.0.2.556(b). Ccleaner, Power Tools Lite, Smart Defrag. KISS, Keep it Simple Silly!

+Quote Post
Visconti12
post 29.09.2008 19:19
Post #20

Professional II

I recommend to use registry cleaner as frequent as many programs you have installed in your system.
Nowdays if you test/install/uninstall new software, to use a registry cleaner is a must. The choice could
be done according to your computer level: for beginner users... Ccleaner; for pro users... RegSupreme.
(Just as an example!!)

This post has been edited by Visconti12: 29.09.2008 20:22

--------------------
PC1, PC2 & PC3: Windows 8.1 x64 * PC4 & PC5: Windows 7 x64 SP2
Normas del Foro * Crear GSI informe * Kaspersky Helpdesk

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Closed TopicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21.12.2014 04:25