IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> How to speed up virus scanning - 100% CPU Usage, Tips & Advice
Ziggy
post 22.12.2005 23:51
Post #1

Group: Members

I have noticed alot of people complain about virus scanning causing 100% CPU usage. The solution that I've found to speed up scanning is as follows:

Immediately after starting a scan, click the "Settings" tab, then "Check" the "Do not suspend scan if CPU is utilized by other programs."

Before I checked this box, my finish time was about 15 hours later.....after checking this box, it only took around 1 hour to complete the scan. FYI...I was also running BOINC - SETI, listening to music, had several other apps running in the system tray, and surfing the Internet, while doing the scan.

Hope this helps!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Leo Max
post 24.12.2005 01:25
Post #2

Kaspersky Fan I

Group: Gold beta testers

QUOTE(Ziggy @ Dec 22 2005, 12:51 PM)
I have noticed alot of people complain about virus scanning causing 100% CPU usage.  The solution that I've found to speed up scanning is as follows:

Immediately after starting a scan, click the "Settings" tab, then "Check" the "Do not suspend scan if CPU is utilized by other programs."

Before I checked this box, my finish time was about 15 hours later.....after checking this box, it only took around 1 hour to complete the scan.  FYI...I was also running BOINC - SETI, listening to music, had several other apps running in the system tray, and surfing the Internet, while doing the scan.

Hope this helps!

I don't think it will make any difference. It didn't make any difference for me.

+Quote Post
Julian
post 24.12.2005 01:32
Post #3

Kaspersky Fan III

QUOTE(Leo Max @ Dec 23 2005, 11:25 PM)
I don't think it will make any difference.  It didn't make any difference for me.

i agree with you, leo wink.gif

--------------------
user posted image

+Quote Post
Ziggy
post 24.12.2005 07:05
Post #4

So are you saying that is still takes like 12 hours to do a full system scan?

Eitherway, this is the method that fixed mine....and I'm certain that the description sums it up fairly well. "Do not suspend scan if CPU is utilized by other programs".

Too me if this box is checked, it means that KIS will scan no matter what other apps you have running......and will get a higher priority rating to obtain some CPU cycles to speed up the scan. If it's not checked, it will get the lowest priority for any CPU cycles.

I'm also fully aware that hard drive speed and RAM would play an important factor in this. If this box doesn't do anything for you, maybe your running it on and older/slower machine than I'm used to...?? wink.gif

Just curious....let me know.

+Quote Post
nick9860
post 24.12.2005 08:18
Post #5

Professional I

QUOTE(Ziggy @ Dec 24 2005, 10:05 AM)
So are you saying that is still takes like 12 hours to do a full system scan?

Eitherway, this is the method that fixed mine....and I'm certain that the description sums it up fairly well.  "Do not suspend scan if CPU is utilized by other programs".

Too me if this box is checked, it means that KIS will scan no matter what other apps you have running......and will get a higher priority rating to obtain some CPU cycles to speed up the scan.  If it's not checked, it will get the lowest priority for any CPU cycles.

I'm also fully aware that hard drive speed and RAM would play an important factor in this.  If this box doesn't do anything for you, maybe your running it on and older/slower machine than I'm used to...??  wink.gif

Just curious....let me know.

if full computer scan takes several hours to complete, I think you have a serious problem with your computer..
my computer is not very special - P4 2.8 GHz, 512 MB RAM, 40 GB HDD 7200 rpm, WinXP Pro SP2, KIS 6.0.0.249 currently, but I have tested all since beta1 - for me the full computer scan takes between 25 up 38 mins with each built, total number of files scanned about 290,000 (more or less) and the option not to suspend the scan if CPU is utilized..., well it does not make any difference here - I checked this just out of curiosity last night. biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
SSK
post 24.12.2005 10:29
Post #6

Advanced Member V

Maybe Ziggy has something running in the background all the time that makes KIS throttle back?

--------------------
KIS 9.0.0.736 on Windows 7 x64 Home Premium EN / Office 2007 Enterprise EN SP2
KIS Ultra Portable Special Edition 8.0.0.506 on Windows XP SP3 EN / Office 2003 SP3 EN (netbook)

+Quote Post
Mick
post 24.12.2005 16:16
Post #7

Advanced Member I

this tip working for me and i've noticed at build 243 it scanned verry slow when the checkbox was not ticked and verry fast when the check box was ticked. maybe the sensitivity is to high??

--------------------
..:Knowledge for Free,Knowledge for Power:..

+Quote Post
Ziggy
post 24.12.2005 18:13
Post #8

Yep...I'm running BOINC - SETI@home. It uses 100% of the available CPU that's available. I've also got its "Set Priority" rating set to "Low" in "Task Manager" to help increase productivity of other apps that need to run.

I'm glad it helped you out Mick and I'm certain it will solve the same issue for others that have lengthy scan times.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28.11.2014 17:29