Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Blocking phishing attack in Kis
Sall
post 13.05.2008 06:30
Post #1

Kaspersky Fan I

Group: Gold beta testers

I just had a phishing attack from Gomyron . com

A nasty little one that tries to steal your passwords ect.

Kis was warning me, and I blocked it.

I have a question though, if I set web AV to auto blocking, will phishing attack also be blocked then or will I have to do that manually ?

I wonder if kis really got it blocked because the other day I had a similar one, and not long after someone had changed the password to my rapidshare account.

This post has been edited by Sall: 13.05.2008 06:32

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Whizard
post 13.05.2008 07:29
Post #2

Professional

Group: Moderators

You cant really set tp auto-block it, since detection comes from another component called Anti-Phishing and not Web-AV. Thus, the option to do that is not available. It is more of an interactive component. Deny as-you-go along. Always enter the website address manually and never trust malicious links. Here is a detect on v2009 (TR):
Attached File  AF.jpg ( 26.4K ) Number of downloads: 35

--------------------
Networking and Security Guru
~^Whizard^~

+Quote Post
Sall
post 13.05.2008 07:44
Post #3

Kaspersky Fan I

QUOTE(Whizard @ 13.05.2008 03:29) *
You cant really set tp auto-block it, since detection comes from another component called Anti-Phishing and not Web-AV. Thus, the option to do that is not available. It is more of an interactive component. Deny as-you-go along. Always enter the website address manually and never trust malicious links. Here is a detect on v2009 (TR):
Attached File  AF.jpg ( 26.4K ) Number of downloads: 35

Thats strange, Ad Muncher should be someone to trust, from your pic it looks like Ad Muncher in that case was trying to access a site known for phishing ? unsure.gif

Btw. since I blocked this one, do you think that I can safely use my net banking, or will I have to get new password for that just to be sure ?

Maybe this would be something for kav to implement in a future version of kis (Auto blocking phishing sites option)

This post has been edited by Sall: 13.05.2008 07:49

--------------------

+Quote Post
Baz^^
post 13.05.2008 13:39
Post #4

Wrestling Champion

QUOTE(Sall @ 13.05.2008 04:44) *
Thats strange, Ad Muncher should be someone to trust, from your pic it looks like Ad Muncher in that case was trying to access a site known for phishing ? unsure.gif

Btw. since I blocked this one, do you think that I can safely use my net banking, or will I have to get new password for that just to be sure ?

Maybe this would be something for kav to implement in a future version of kis (Auto blocking phishing sites option)

Admuncher works like KIS- it proxies traffic to filter it for ads, therefore KIS sees it as the application that is connecting to the phishing site. Just basic stuff so nothing to worry about.

I prefer to have control over what my computer is doing, and KIS lets me do that by prompting me. If you want a suite that nannys you all the way, I suggest you look elsewhere. It really does get annoying if a software takes over your PC and makes all the desicions.

--------------------
Kind Regards,

Baz (volunteer moderator/beta testing lead -- I don't work for Kaspersky
)

+Quote Post
Sall
post 13.05.2008 14:59
Post #5

Kaspersky Fan I

QUOTE(Baz^^ @ 13.05.2008 09:39) *
Admuncher works like KIS- it proxies traffic to filter it for ads, therefore KIS sees it as the application that is connecting to the phishing site. Just basic stuff so nothing to worry about.

I prefer to have control over what my computer is doing, and KIS lets me do that by prompting me. If you want a suite that nannys you all the way, I suggest you look elsewhere. It really does get annoying if a software takes over your PC and makes all the desicions.

Dont get me wrong I like Kis smile.gif

Do you think I need to change passwords to my net banking ect. - or can I be sure that the attack was safely blocked before it could steal anything.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Whizard
post 13.05.2008 21:35
Post #6

Professional

Group: Moderators

A good practice anyways to change the passwords once every three months or so. Depending how paranoid you are and the amount in your bank account tongue.gif

--------------------
Networking and Security Guru
~^Whizard^~

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30.07.2014 15:06