Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Kaspersky vs. Zone Alarm
DeputyDawg
post 30.04.2008 21:55
Post #1

Group: Members

Any documents out there which compare Kaspersky Internet Suite vs. Zone Alarm Security suite

Looking for the major advantages/disadvantages of one vs. the other

Not a huge fan of zone alarm. Trying to justify going to KIS.

One BIG issue (just posted) was that emails marked as spam will have their subject altered to add [spam] in front of the subject

Thanks
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
nick9860
post 30.04.2008 22:02
Post #2

Professional I

Group: Gold beta testers

There a lot of security suites comparatives, just "google" it and you'll find many results..., you'll find out that KIS is definitely better...

+Quote Post
krishancanag
post 1.05.2008 00:01
Post #3

Advanced Member II

I have used zonealarm pro (firewall only) and KA then switched to KIS, KIS is better and less issues overall.

krishan

+Quote Post
TrueGreen
post 1.05.2008 17:51
Post #4

Kaspersky Fan II

I'll ditto krishancanaq. Also, the newer versions of KAV and KIS don't play well with ZA anymore. I've been very happy with KIS 7...325 and have no other antimalware programs on my computer. If you decide to go with KIS there is a learning curve and you need to be patient. Come here for help if needed. KIS has a nice long trial period with a complete program. If you switch make sure to TOTALLY remove any remnants of past programs. Refer to this link for help in this area: http://forum.kaspersky.com/index.php?showtopic=5233.

--------------------
Make sure you ACTIVATION CODE is listed and backed up in your My Kaspersky Account.

+Quote Post
Zeke
post 1.05.2008 18:58
Post #5

Advanced Member I

My understanding is that ZA Suite and ZA Antivirus use KAV for the AV engine. smile.gif

--------------------
. . . . . . Zeke
-> KIS 9.0.0.463
-> WinXP SP3

+Quote Post
DeputyDawg
post 1.05.2008 22:59
Post #6

QUOTE(nick9860 @ 30.04.2008 14:02) *
There a lot of security suites comparatives, just "google" it and you'll find many results..., you'll find out that KIS is definitely better...

I did google. I found a lot but not much specifically Kaspersky vs. Zone Alarm

On Kaspersky's page they have a comparison chart, but ZA isn't on there.

What are some of the (few) MAJOR advantages and disadvantages of Kaspersy over Zone Alarm

Thanks

+Quote Post
Littlem129
post 2.05.2008 09:58
Post #7

Advanced Member IV

I've never used ZA's suite, I have used ZA free firewall before and it used a lot of resources.

In my opinion the advantage of KIS over ZA would be the resource usage.

KIS is very easy on my system and has great protection. KIS has frequent updates for definitions also. You can set it to update every few minutes or every hour, etc.

KIS is excellent protection. The best way to find out if KIS is for you is to download it and see for yourself how great it really is. smile.gif

--------------------
Kaspersky, protection you can depend on!

KIS 14.0.0.4651(d)
WIN 7 SP1 3GB RAM
DSL
MBAM (on demand scan only)

+Quote Post
That other guy
post 2.05.2008 10:19
Post #8

QUOTE(TrueGreen @ 1.05.2008 07:51) *
the newer versions of KAV and KIS don't play well with ZA anymore.

Well, in the changelog for the 2nd-to-most-recent ZoneAlarm update, they tossed in this line;

"Free ZoneAlarm firewall and ZoneAlarm Pro can now co-exist with Kaspersky AV"

Only problem is, they seem to have left out KIS with co-existence issues... recently I've been having an issue where if I have KIS running with ZoneAlarm, and I try to sign into Windows Live Messenger, the system BSODs with code 0xC2, and a reference in the debugger to a ZoneAlarm driver. It's kinda sickening to me, really.

+Quote Post
Don Pelotas
post 2.05.2008 11:58
Post #9

Global Moderator

Group: Global moderators

Of course they left out KIS....................it's the suite and already has a firewall, never use two firewalls..........you will only see issues.

--------------------

+Quote Post
That other guy
post 2.05.2008 12:13
Post #10

Well, that's what I'm wondering here now so I can resolve it; is ZA's firewall better, or is KIS's?

+Quote Post
A.Wesker
post 2.05.2008 12:47
Post #11

QUOTE(That other guy @ 2.05.2008 10:13) *
Well, that's what I'm wondering here now so I can resolve it; is ZA's firewall better, or is KIS's?

Obvius you dont get the answer right here refering too your question "Firewall:ZA better or KIS" wich is understandeble what do you think they will tell you if you do get a answer ? ...Right
My experience whith KIS are good and the full online support tells me that theyre always working too improve theyre products and help theyre customers and everyone who has questions correct me if im wrong.

+Quote Post
That other guy
post 2.05.2008 12:55
Post #12

QUOTE(A.Wesker @ 2.05.2008 02:47) *
Obvius you dont get the answer right here refering too your question "Firewall:ZA better or KIS" wich is understandeble what do you think they will tell you if you do get a answer ? ...Right

I asked because not everyone here is biased like you seem to think. I've had an equally good experience between ZoneAlarm and KIS's firewall, so I'm not biased either. Still waiting on a good answer.

+Quote Post
Don Pelotas
post 2.05.2008 13:10
Post #13

Global Moderator

I think they are both top FW's, personally i go with what works flawlessly.................and in my case that is the full suite meaning not having to tweak anything. I would try the 2009 version before you make a decision about which to go with since the FW in it is much improved and extremely easy to configure....for normally used apps you don't have to do a thing at all, they are preconfigured.

--------------------

+Quote Post
That other guy
post 2.05.2008 13:41
Post #14

A question about the 2009 version, then; right now it's in Technical Release form, how close is that to the final release?

+Quote Post
Don Pelotas
post 2.05.2008 13:59
Post #15

Global Moderator

QUOTE(That other guy @ 2.05.2008 11:41) *
A question about the 2009 version, then; right now it's in Technical Release form, how close is that to the final release?

It's the version they most likely will put in the boxes..................the only reason they don't release on the website officially is that marketing need to plan the correct moment, staff has to be trained, material published etc etc, this takes time. If you install it then you only have this forum for support.......since it is not out officially, i have used ot for some time now as many other testers have.

--------------------

+Quote Post
That other guy
post 2.05.2008 14:21
Post #16

Judging from what you said there, would it be safe to assume that the official release is coming soon, then?

This post has been edited by That other guy: 2.05.2008 14:38

+Quote Post
Don Pelotas
post 2.05.2008 14:35
Post #17

Global Moderator

QUOTE(That other guy @ 2.05.2008 12:21) *
Judging from what you said there, would it be safe to assume that the official release it coming soon, then?

It depends on what anyone thinks is "soon", it will be around June from the info we have right now and that would tie in nicely with the 7.0 release which was also just over a month after the developers released the tech release.

--------------------

+Quote Post
That other guy
post 2.05.2008 14:42
Post #18

Sounds good, then. Apologies to DeputyDawg for shifting focus like that, unless you have your justification now.

+Quote Post
DeputyDawg
post 2.05.2008 16:32
Post #19

QUOTE(That other guy @ 2.05.2008 06:42) *
Sounds good, then. Apologies to DeputyDawg for shifting focus like that, unless you have your justification now.

Thanks All,

I think I will put on the trial this weekend and see how it is. Sounds like I don't have to uninstall ZA (just exit out) and run KIS.

One other unrelated question to this thread but still related to KIS - how is their support if I should need it. Needless to say ZA's support
is, well I was told not to say something bad about people so... (read in between the lines).. hehehe

Thanks

+Quote Post
TrueGreen
post 2.05.2008 17:23
Post #20

Kaspersky Fan II

QUOTE(DeputyDawg @ 2.05.2008 15:32) *
Thanks All,

I think I will put on the trial this weekend and see how it is. Sounds like I don't have to uninstall ZA (just exit out) and run KIS.

One other unrelated question to this thread but still related to KIS - how is their support if I should need it. Needless to say ZA's support
is, well I was told not to say something bad about people so... (read in between the lines).. hehehe

Thanks

You probably will need to uninstall ZA and you should follow the uninstall directions on the ZA forum site for a complete uninstall. Unless something has been changed, when you start to install KIS it will tell you it doesn't play well with ZA. Also, you shouldn't have two firewalls on your system. Just exiting ZA will not resolve this. I've recently switched from KAV 7 and ZA Pro to KIS and am very pleased with it. But be patient, there is a learning curve. You can always come here for help. As to Kaspersky support, I am pleased with it, but as we are human you'll also see other views. I've found this forum a great place to come to solve problems.

--------------------
Make sure you ACTIVATION CODE is listed and backed up in your My Kaspersky Account.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20.09.2014 07:53