Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Shelf Life of Activation Codes
Perry
post 8.03.2008 22:09
Post #1

Advanced Member III

Group: Members

Hi

I have just purchased 3 pc codes and used one already so i have 2 remaining which i don't need to use until April and June.

I now understand i must use them all within 4 weeks " is this true" if so how do i get around this ?

It seems a waste to activate with a new code when the previous ones haven't expired.

This post has been edited by Perry: 8.03.2008 22:11

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Don Pelotas
post 8.03.2008 23:04
Post #2

Global Moderator

Group: Global moderators

Usually it's 3 months from those that have reported back to me. Whether it's the same for the UK branch i do not know, but you could ask them:http://www.kaspersky.co.uk/contacts

--------------------

+Quote Post
saso
post 9.03.2008 11:17
Post #3

Professional II

Group: Gold beta testers

actually as i remember from some posts, the activation codes have no limit (or at least they did not have it then, KL could change the policy on that), their life time starts when you use them for the first time or convert them to keys (the key then should have those 1 year usage + 3 months "shelf life"). so yes it would be for sure good to recheck this smile.gif

This post has been edited by saso: 9.03.2008 11:18

--------------------

+Quote Post
Sjoeii
post 9.03.2008 11:18
Post #4

Professional

Group: Gold beta testers

Some start when the key isn't activated with 6 months

--------------------

+Quote Post
richbuff
post 9.03.2008 11:46
Post #5

Oldtimer

Group: Moderators

QUOTE(Igor Kurzin @ 19.11.2007 03:52) *
The key files have a limited shelf life. Activation codes are not limited in time. At least at the moment. cool.gif

I recall that boxed CD Activation Codes have unlimited shelf life, but that may have changed, and that may be geographically variable. It seems logical that boxed CD Activation codes would offer the longest shelf life versus on-line purchased Keys and/or Codes as well as maybe even boxed CD's that activate with an enclosed Key instead of Code.

--------------------
Please see the Important topics, located at the top of this section, and at the top of other sections of this forum.

+Quote Post
davidli2k
post 11.03.2008 08:35
Post #6

All activation codes have an unlimited shelf life, unless of course, it has been activated & a key file has been generated. I got this from the Kaspersky support site under the topic "Working with activation codes" --->
The activation code which has never been activated does not have an expiry date. If you purchased a box version in this case the activation code does not have an expiry date either, till it has been activated. Once activated the product license is counted.

You can check the link here

+Quote Post
shieber
post 11.03.2008 14:50
Post #7

Advanced Member II

I have in fact received incorrect info from Tech Support (although Tech Support made up for the error by issuing a new license). But you'd think this aspect of the licenses would be easy enough to make so clear that no one need ask about it. It's a bit interesting that this topic comes up repeatedly but rarely with a single definitive answer, but rather several purportedly definitive answers. You'd think the answer would be written in the license itself.
But I guess itt's like the old saying, if they put the keys in alphabetical order, then everyone would know how to type. ;-)

+Quote Post
bradavon
post 12.03.2008 00:48
Post #8

Advanced Member V

There is so much confusion over this you'll probably better asking Kaspersky directly.

I believe they'll help you if a legal but unused code has expired though.

+Quote Post
shieber
post 12.03.2008 15:22
Post #9

Advanced Member II

ime, Kas is very reasonable about how they will deal with such situations, so some perserverance counts. Otoh, the situations arise because the policy is not written into the license, where, I believe, it belongs. Perhaps the policy changes so often or is so varied temporarly or geographically that Kas cannot afford to print a single policy. If that's the case, no wonder even the Techs get confused.

QUOTE(bradavon @ 11.03.2008 16:48) *
There is so much confusion over this you'll probably better asking Kaspersky directly.

I believe they'll help you if a legal but unused code has expired though.

+Quote Post
Autumn Breeze
post 12.03.2008 20:16
Post #10

Advanced Member I

QUOTE(shieber @ 12.03.2008 07:22) *
ime, Kas is very reasonable about how they will deal with such situations, so some perserverance counts. Otoh, the situations arise because the policy is not written into the license, where, I believe, it belongs. Perhaps the policy changes so often or is so varied temporarly or geographically that Kas cannot afford to print a single policy. If that's the case, no wonder even the Techs get confused.

if it's not in the license then you're in good shape at least if US law is involved... under US contract law, if there are questions/ambiguity about what is meant by a certain condition in the contract or if something was left out, then the court will always side with the party that did not draw up the contract…

the logic of this is that if they wanted something in the contract, then they should have included it and if it concerns something that was included, then the onus is on the party to have the contract drawn up properly…

a simple analogy is if someone cuts a piece of pie, cake, etc. into two pieces – one much larger than the other – and then takes the larger piece for themselves - it’s patently unfair… so to make it fair, the person who did not do the cutting gets to decide which piece he/she wants…

some laws can be very unfair or at least seem that way, but this is one area where it's done right...

btw, this is doubtful but it might be construed as an adhesive contract... that is a contract that heavily favors one party over the other, or where the parties are not equal and the stronger party offers it to the weaker party on an "as is" basis e.g. "take it or leave it"...

--------------------
standing on the shoulders of others makes us all taller...

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2.09.2014 20:41