Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> PC Pitstop optimize
kennethtb
post 1.03.2008 13:29
Post #1

Advanced Member I

Group: Members

Hi Im back on version 125 after giving up on 325 and now I am without problems of slow internet browsing. I use PCPitstop optimize to ajust my receiving buffer size and to optimize my computer setup for my particular broadband connection which is below one gig and goes down to below 200kb/sec at different times of the day. Interestingly one of PCpitstop tune up tips states that "amazingly" windows default buffer size is set for "dial up" and needs to be reset.. (hkey_local machine/system/current control set/ services/Tcpip/parameters.. change the base setting to DECIMAL and enter a new value of 64240 I was wondering what all you boffins think of using such software and /or following this advice and possibly???? could this dial up windows default basic setting be something to do with the problems of kas 325 and a possible conflict with its own internal buffering configuration that some people are being advised to turn off or try ajusting the default seconds.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
kennethtb
post 1.03.2008 14:43
Post #2

Advanced Member I

QUOTE(kennethtb @ 1.03.2008 10:29) *
Hi Im back on version 125 after giving up on 325 and now I am without problems of slow internet browsing. I use PCPitstop optimize to ajust my receiving buffer size and to optimize my computer setup for my particular broadband connection which is below one gig and goes down to below 200kb/sec or lower at different times of the day. Interestingly one of PCpitstop tune up tips for broadband states that,quote "amazingly" windows default buffer size is set for "dial up" and needs to be reset.. (hkey_local machine/system/current control set/ services/Tcpip/parameters.. change the base setting to DECIMAL and enter a new value of 64240 I was wondering what all you kind boffins think of using such software and/or following such advice and possibly???? could this dial up windows default basic setting be something to do with the problems of kas 325 and a possible conflict with its own internal buffering configuration (found in web antivirus that seems to have changed in format since 125) and that some people are being advised in this forum to turn off or try ajusting the default seconds.

+Quote Post
Mem
post 1.03.2008 14:59
Post #3

Advanced Member III

The Receive Window (RWin) parameter is not an effect that will matter to KIS/KAV. It can matter to your PC browsing speed.

"The receive window specifies the number of bytes a sender can transmit without receiving an acknowledgment. In general, larger receive windows will improve performance over high (delay * bandwidth) networks. For highest efficiency, the receive window should be an even multiple of the TCP Maximum Segment Size (MSS)."

Windows XP can dynamically set this based on your connection unless the key exists as a hardcoded number (which modifying it will do) and there are ways to figure it out but the number you have stated may be fine for yours- without knowing actual latency, line speed and MSS of your connection it is hard to say but looks in line.

+Quote Post
Farnk69
post 2.03.2008 02:35
Post #4

Advanced Member I

QUOTE(kennethtb @ 1.03.2008 02:29) *
Hi Im back on version 125 after giving up on 325 and now I am without problems of slow internet browsing. I use PCPitstop optimize to ajust my receiving buffer size and to optimize my computer setup for my particular broadband connection which is below one gig and goes down to below 200kb/sec at different times of the day. Interestingly one of PCpitstop tune up tips states that "amazingly" windows default buffer size is set for "dial up" and needs to be reset.. (hkey_local machine/system/current control set/ services/Tcpip/parameters.. change the base setting to DECIMAL and enter a new value of 64240 I was wondering what all you boffins think of using such software and /or following this advice and possibly???? could this dial up windows default basic setting be something to do with the problems of kas 325 and a possible conflict with its own internal buffering configuration that some people are being advised to turn off or try ajusting the default seconds.

I went into this in detail, it seems like a year or more ago, and remember almost nothing.

However, the program I used was Cablenut, here is a link to their Site:

http://www.cablenut.com/

Attached are my settings for a lousy dial-up connection using Cablenut.

Attached File(s)
Attached File  Cablenut_Settings.JPG ( 90,84K ) Number of downloads: 11

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 31.10.2014 16:48