IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Kaspersky blocks internet access
hangover
post 20.11.2007 02:44
Post #1

Group: Members

Having read good reviews of Kaspersky Internet Security 7, I just tried to download and install the trial version. It seemed to install ok but when it started it was unable to update the database and I was completely unable to access the internet. I tried numerous things (including disabling Kaspersky) but none of them worked (and of course, without access to the internet it was hard to figure out what to try - the inbuilt help was absolutely useless).

Finally, I gave up and attempted to uninstall Kaspersky - however, the status bar only got about 1/5 before hanging - I waited about 15 minutes before finally rebooting my PC. As you can see, I now have internet access again but I am worried that Kaspersky has not been uninstalled properly. Is there anything further I can do to make sure it is completely uninstalled? And is it worth trying again or should I give up and try some more reliable and user-friendly AV software?

Thanks

Dom
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
dawgg
post 20.11.2007 03:01
Post #2

Forum Elite

Group: Moderators

Run this tool to make sure no remnants of Kaspersky are left over... (preferably in Safe Mode): http://support.kaspersky.com/faq/?qid=208279463

Kaspersky is a reliable and user-friendly AV software (hence, the good reviews you mentioned you've read), its only unlucky you had a bad start (first experience) with it.

If you want to attempt to install Kaspersky successfully, then please post a link to your PC's GSI parser... instructions posted here: http://forum.kaspersky.com/index.php?showtopic=36444
Also, are you using a router (wired or wireless) or connecting to the internet via another computer?

+Quote Post
hangover
post 20.11.2007 03:13
Post #3

QUOTE(dawgg @ 19.11.2007 23:01) *
Run this tool to make sure no remnants of Kaspersky are left over... (preferably in Safe Mode): http://support.kaspersky.com/faq/?qid=208279463

Kaspersky is a reliable and user-friendly AV software (hence, the good reviews you mentioned you've read), its only unlucky you had a bad start (first experience) with it.

If you want to attempt to install Kaspersky successfully, then please post a link to your PC's GSI parser... instructions posted here: http://forum.kaspersky.com/index.php?showtopic=36444
Also, are you using a router (wired or wireless) or connecting to the internet via another computer?

Thanks dawgg, I'll give that a try.
I am using a wired router and running XP Home (Service Pack 2).

This post has been edited by hangover: 20.11.2007 03:14

+Quote Post
Baz^^
post 20.11.2007 16:22
Post #4

Wrestling Champion

Group: Gold beta testers

Mongo, your post has been moved into a new thread which can be found by clicking here

--------------------
Kind Regards,

Baz

+Quote Post
hangover
post 22.11.2007 13:22
Post #5

QUOTE(dawgg @ 19.11.2007 23:01) *

I haven't done the above yet. After giving up on Kaspersky, I installed some backup software (True Image 11) whereby Windows notified me about the incomplete uninstall of Kaspersky and prompted me to undo it. As a consequence, Kaspersky AV now seems to be installed ok - that is it has updated the database to the latest version and I am still able to access the internet.

However, it is now telling me that I have '3 security threats'. When I click on this text it takes me to 'threat 1 of 3 - Mail Anti-Virus is not running'. When I try to enable Mail Anti-Virus i get a pop-up telling me "Mail Anti-Virus" failed. I use Microsoft Outlook 2002 SP3. Any help with this would be much appreciated.

Also, is there any way of finding out what the other two threats are without resolving the first one?

+Quote Post
richbuff
post 22.11.2007 14:21
Post #6

Are You Kidding?

Group: Global moderators

Please see post #2 and post link to GSI Report, as suggested by, and link provided for you by dawgg.

--------------------
Please see the Important topics, located at the top of this section, and at the top of other sections of this forum.

+Quote Post
hangover
post 22.11.2007 14:27
Post #7

QUOTE(richbuff @ 22.11.2007 10:21) *
Please see post #2 and post link to GSI Report, as suggested by, and link provided for you by dawgg.

Thanks Rich. Did so and after uninstalling the three problem applications (Spy Doctor, Norton and Juniper) and repairing the install of Kaspersky it all seems to be working fine now. Many thanks to everyone for your help.

One quick last question. Having installed Kaspersky and my backup software, I now need to install a firewall. I was going to purchase Sunbelt Kerio which I have used in the past with no problems. Does this work ok with Kaspersky? If not, what would people recommend?

+Quote Post
richbuff
post 22.11.2007 14:44
Post #8

Are You Kidding?

Group: Global moderators

Kaspersky Internet Security 7 has a firewall, so you should be all good. Edit: As indicated in your original post, you do have KIS?

This post has been edited by richbuff: 22.11.2007 14:47

--------------------
Please see the Important topics, located at the top of this section, and at the top of other sections of this forum.

+Quote Post
hangover
post 22.11.2007 15:03
Post #9

QUOTE(richbuff @ 22.11.2007 10:44) *
Kaspersky Internet Security 7 has a firewall, so you should be all good. Edit: As indicated in your original post, you do have KIS?

Sorry, my first post was incorrect, I am just using Kaspersky Anti-Virus. The reviews I read of the other components of Kaspersky Internet Security were not very positive (while those for Anti-Virus were glowing) and so I opted to just get the Anti-Virus and go elsewhere for my firewall.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21.12.2014 08:01