IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> NDIS filter problem, with KAV 7.0.0.125 (eng)
derekhunter
post 6.08.2007 12:13
Post #1

Advanced Member I

Group: Members

I have hit the problem (http://forum.kaspersky.com/index.php?showtopic=42668 now closed in the Beta forum) about an inability to see workgroup computers via My Network Places with KAV 7.

I have just uninstalled KAV 6.0.2.621 keeping only activation data and installed the now generally released 7.0.0.125 (english) from the Kaspersky UK web site.

I cannot see the workgroup of my desktop and laptop behind my router from my laptop. Both machines use Windows XP professional fully patched.

The problem goes away on my laptop when I uncheck the KAV NDIS driver from both my wireless and LAN connection; just doing it for my wireless connection that was being used was not enough.

This problem appears to have been around for some time with beta versions. What is the status now for the general release version?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
dawgg
post 6.08.2007 15:53
Post #2

Forum Elite

Group: Moderators

Can try to ask Support for a definite answer.

+Quote Post
derekhunter
post 6.08.2007 16:08
Post #3

Advanced Member I

QUOTE(dawgg @ 6.08.2007 12:53)
Can try to ask Support for a definite answer.
[right][snapback]412419[/snapback][/right]

OK, I have just raised it with UK support. I am interested in what is going to be done about the issue, and what the effect is on security of unchecking the NDIS filter on a 32 bit Windows XP SP2.

+Quote Post
Don Pelotas
post 6.08.2007 16:22
Post #4

Global Moderator

Group: Global moderators

QUOTE(derekhunter @ 6.08.2007 14:08)
OK, I have just raised it with UK support. I am interested in what is going to be done about the issue, and what the effect is on security of unchecking the NDIS filter on a 32 bit Windows XP SP2.
[right][snapback]412432[/snapback][/right]

Derek, there is no security risk in disabling that on XP 32bit, it's like you make it to version 6.0 in this one regard.

--------------------

+Quote Post
zbigniew
post 1.12.2007 08:08
Post #5

I just installed version 7 on my Windows XP Pro SP2 laptop and experienced a more severe form of Kaspersky NDIS Filter problem. In my case all network interfaces stopped working all together. The wired LAN adapter was showing as 'network cable unplugged' and the wireless LAN adapter could not find any wireless networks. After unchecking the NDIS Filter I got the network connectivity back. I am sure having the NDIS filter unchecked is rather safe but I still would like the software vendor to (1) explain what this NDOS filter exactly does and (2) fix the problem that seems to be quite severe (when it happens after installing the Kaspersky software the used has no clue what happened to the network connectivity.)
-Zbigniew

+Quote Post
richbuff
post 1.12.2007 08:25
Post #6

Are You Kidding?

Welcome. See: http://www.kaspersky.com/support/kis7/tech...p;qid=208279317 XP = ok, all good, zero loss of security.

--------------------
Please see the Important topics, located at the top of this section, and at the top of other sections of this forum.

+Quote Post
Whizard
post 1.12.2007 12:15
Post #7

Professional

1) NDIS style binding is recomended way by Microsoft to intercept packets on network layers. New operating systems like Windows Vista utilize this method. However on Windows XP you can still use an old legacy method and can potentially benefit from speed gains when NDIS filter is enabled.
http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/device/netwo...is/default.mspx

2) Old network cards do not support NDIS style binding and thus refuse to work. The way to address this issue is to run a GSI parser, and download the latest drivers. Hopefully with that update your NIC can work together with NDIS filter without any problems. KAV reverts back to old method of interception when you turn OFF the filter.

If you got more questions do post back smile.gif

This post has been edited by Whizard: 1.12.2007 12:20

--------------------
Networking and Security Guru
~^Whizard^~

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24.10.2014 20:09