Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Can I delete these registry errors ?
copakeman
post 26.05.2007 00:06
Post #1

Advanced Member I

Group: Members

i am running win xp pro, with the lastest 5-25-2007 updates.

i have run Reg Supreme Pro registry cleaner, ver 1.4.0.48. it found 120 errors, 110 are for kaspersky lab.

this is one of them

HKLM\Software\KarsperskyLab\AVP6\profiles\Behavior_Blocking\profiles\pdm\settings\AppsMonitoring_List\0000|TrustedImageList\0001\

Problem listed
File "c:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\Download|S-1=15-18\bbd9095ae398b6dd1a96dcf728c94ab\_sfx_dll" Does not exist.

The errors are all very similar.

Can I delete these Kaspesky items without worry ?

I would have attached the error page, if reg supreme was more user friendly (I cant figure out a way to do it). If more info is needed please ask.

thank you
c
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
karluv
post 26.05.2007 00:35
Post #2

As far as I can understand an application was taken into trusted list by Kaspersky. Later on that application was deleted from your hard disk for some reason.

For someone to say something strict about this, you should provide the value of the registry key by exporting it from the registry. But, it seems to be safe to delete that registry key.

In general, I recommend you not to delete anything from [HKLM\Software\KarsperskyLab] tree. This is a security application and settings are stored there...
More to that I advise you to turn on self-protection, so that files and registry keys that belong to Kaspersky cannot be modified by third-party applications...

+Quote Post
copakeman
post 26.05.2007 02:22
Post #3

Advanced Member I

thank you karluv for your reply. i haven't deleted any kaspersky entries yet. i thought what your fist sentence says.

what/where is self protection ? i am using kav 6.0.0.300.

c

+Quote Post
karluv
post 26.05.2007 10:28
Post #4

QUOTE(copakeman @ 26.05.2007 01:22)
what/where is self protection ? i am using kav 6.0.0.300.

Hello,

Enable Self-Defense:
Self-Defense denies outside access to files and Windows Registry keys which the Kaspersky Anti-Virus 6.0 owns.

Disable external service control:
Configures the program so that it can only be started and stopped from Kaspersky Anti-Virus 6.0's setting window.

These 2 options are turned on by default and should be like this unless you haven't changed them. If I were you, I would keep these settings the way they are...

By the way, I don't believe that "registry cleaner" stuff is good at all.
Playing around with the registry may lead to system instability unless you know exactly what you are doing. The best way to keep the registry clean is to avoid installing/removing redundant low quality software...

+Quote Post
Bubba1
post 26.05.2007 15:45
Post #5

Advanced Member II

Group: Gold beta testers

QUOTE(copakeman @ 25.05.2007 16:06)
i have run Reg Supreme Pro registry cleaner, ver 1.4.0.48. it found 120 errors, 110 are for kaspersky lab.

HKLM\Software\KarsperskyLab\AVP6\profiles\Behavior_Blocking\profiles\pdm\settings\AppsMonitoring_List\0000|TrustedImageList\0001\

Problem listed
File "c:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\Download|S-1=15-18\bbd9095ae398b6dd1a96dcf728c94ab\_sfx_dll"  Does not exist.

The errors are all very similar.

Can I delete these Kaspesky items without worry ?

Hi copakeman,
Relating my experience .. I'd installed KIS v6 to a non-default location. Later, I installed v7 into the default path. Registry scan would reveal left-over v6 entries that were no longer valid .. like yours, the complaint from a scanner that a file "does not exist" and, indeed it didn't. Repeated attempts were made to delete these items from the registry, without success. It was then that I discovered Self Defense *must* be disabled to allow any reg. cleaner to remove entries.

Once I'd removed the invalid entries from the v6 install, I re-enabled Self Defense.

Good luck.

This post has been edited by Bubba1: 26.05.2007 15:46

--------------------
"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything." -- Wyatt Earp

+Quote Post
copakeman
post 26.05.2007 17:05
Post #6

Advanced Member I

thanks karluv and Bubba1.

karluv, settings are configured exactly like your attachment.

Bubba1, i think you hit the nail on the head. 3 weeks ago, i reinstalled xp pro on a new hd. the old hd is still connected, i am moving files from it. i have removed and installed kaspersky a few times on the new drive and these are left over registry entries. i may have told my system not to remove these entries when i removed kaspersky. adding what karluv and Bubba1 say, these are leftover entries and are not needed by my current kaspersky install. i have not tried to delete these entries. thanks for your tip on disabling self defense to allow the reg cleaner to work.

i do know a little about the registry. thts why i asked this question. i thought it was odd, that kaspersky would have that many registry errors. i havent run reg supreme since i installed the new hd, so i didnt have any indication if these errors were new.

c

+Quote Post
chip17
post 26.05.2007 21:28
Post #7

Advanced Member I

Hello!

I have jv16 PowerTools installed, which includes RegSupreme/Registry Cleaner. For me, like for many people here in the forum, it is the best registry cleaner program out there, it removes lots of invalid entries and it never gave me problems.... except with Kaspersky in the 1st time I run it...

Explaining: the program detects a lot of Kaspersky related entries/keys, as said above, and the first time I fixed those entries, some rules of Anti-Hacker were gone. So, I have never touched those entries since then.... I think those registry entries are automatically deleted when exiting/restarting Kaspersky....

To avoid Kaspersky problems when using the cleaner, I have put the word "Kaspersky" into the Ignore Words section, in the cleaner options (4th tab)... so, when scanning registry, the cleaner ignores every Kaspersky related entries, so they are never touched!

Best regards!

This post has been edited by chip17: 26.05.2007 21:32

+Quote Post
copakeman
post 26.05.2007 23:12
Post #8

Advanced Member I

hi again, reg supreme pro doesnt have the ignore word option. i dl jv16 power tools and added Kaspersky in the ignore word option. magic, no more kaspersky errors.

each time i had installed Kaspersky, i did not alter paths or make any alterations. all vanilla installs. that was another reason for my suspicions about the reg supreme error report.

thank you chip17. my problem solved, or at least, can be ignored.
c

+Quote Post
Bubba1
post 27.05.2007 15:02
Post #9

Advanced Member II

Group: Gold beta testers

QUOTE(chip17 @ 26.05.2007 13:28)
I have jv16 PowerTools installed, which includes RegSupreme/Registry Cleaner. For me, like for many people here in the forum, it is the best registry cleaner program out there ...

I agree! Recently, I "re-discovered" (was aware of it's existence much earlier, had never installed/tested) jv16 PowerTools about a month ago. Installed for a trial and purchased. An excellent collection of utilities!

--------------------
"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything." -- Wyatt Earp

+Quote Post
copakeman
post 27.05.2007 17:42
Post #10

Advanced Member I

i was not aware of what jv16 could do. i ignored it. i thought reg supreme pro would have all those tools. jv16 has all the tools i have been looking for. jv16 has found another customer here. thanks for mentioning jv16.
c

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20.09.2014 11:55