Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> I am getting pop-up ads :(
DWD
post 21.01.2007 23:01
Post #1

Group: Members

I have tried full PC KIS scan on max security. And a full scan using Ad-aware. Both do not detect anything but when I am using firefox or IE, I get ramdom new tabs opening with an advertisment.

Can anyone suggest anything else I can try?
I have not installed anyprograms other then KIS in weeks and this is a fairly new development.

You guys are always so helpfull so wanna say a huge TNX in advence smile.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Lucian Bara
post 21.01.2007 23:13
Post #2

Are You Kidding?

Group: Gold beta testers

hello
what does the ad say?
Also try using superantispyware: http://www.superantispyware.com/

+Quote Post
Turtle
post 21.01.2007 23:26
Post #3

Advanced Member I

And Ewido micro , too (in Safe Mode with Networking)
http://download.ewido.net/ewido_micro.exe

This post has been edited by Turtle: 21.01.2007 23:27

--------------------

+Quote Post
p2u
post 21.01.2007 23:40
Post #4

QUOTE(DWD @ 21.01.2007 22:01)
II get ramdom new tabs opening with an advertisment.

Control Panel - Administration - Services. Find the Messenger Service. Double-click it and set Startup Type to 'Disabled'. Then stop the service (by clicking on the link you will see on the left "stop service". This should basically solve the problem. If not, please let us know.

Another reason for pop-ups is java-scripts in your browser. You probably know, but firefox has an excellent pop-up blocker, which you can install from here as an extension:
Adblock:
https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/10/
And you will also need NoScript:
https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/722/
I'd be very, very surprised if after these measures you still get pop-ups.

P.S.: Also clear your browser cache. In IE you have to do that with the browser closed, otherwise Windows will restore everything. In the Control Panel you can find the Settings for IE. You can also use CCleaner to clean your browsers:
http://www.ccleaner.com/download/builds.aspx
Pick the "Basic" version (without Yahoo toolbar)

Paul

This post has been edited by p2u: 21.01.2007 23:49

--------------------
Adblock Plus content blocking filter: * (= show text only anywhere)
Exception rule for all: @@*$stylesheet (= show style sheet only anywhere)
Default exception rule for white-listed sites: domain name/$background,image (= images only from that domain only; no scripts, objects, or other elements)

+Quote Post
DWD
post 22.01.2007 00:25
Post #5

Thank you I am trying all those suggested things now.

+Quote Post
DWD
post 22.01.2007 20:23
Post #6

OK done it all so far no ads. I will see if I get any in the next day or so smile.gif

+Quote Post
Turtle
post 22.01.2007 21:35
Post #7

Advanced Member I

QUOTE(DWD @ 22.01.2007 19:23)
OK done it all so far no ads. I will see if I get any in the next day or so smile.gif

You were recommended two other applications (Ewido and SuperAntispyware) . Pop-ups don't disappear themselves , automatically . Could you share with us what they found , what did you remove ?

This post has been edited by Turtle: 22.01.2007 21:35

--------------------

+Quote Post
p2u
post 22.01.2007 21:48
Post #8

QUOTE(Turtle @ 22.01.2007 20:35)
Pop-ups don't disappear themselves , automatically .

They might (and most of the time do) if you apply what I indicated in my previous post [#4]... smile.gif

Paul

This post has been edited by p2u: 22.01.2007 21:49

--------------------
Default exception rule for white-listed sites: domain name/$background,image (= images only from that domain only; no scripts, objects, or other elements)

+Quote Post
DWD
post 23.01.2007 00:44
Post #9

I did this:
1. looked for Messenger Service but it was already disabled.
2. Installed NoScript.
3. Installed SuperAntispyware and did a full scan. It DID find a list of things that Ad-aware did not find. But I am sorry but unless you know how I can find a log file I donno how to tell you what they were. It was 25-30 files. I was really shocked.
4. Installed CCleaner and fixed god knows how many things. I wanted to read it all but it was so much so I made a backup and deleted it all instead crossing my fingers.

After doing only these things I decided to see if anything came up (btw the pop ups were appearing randomly every 1hr+ or so, not a constant pop up problem where every page=ads). So far no Ads.

I am kinda upset >.< I thought I took very good care of my PC I donno how so much crap was on it. I dont think I need to install Ewido, do you?
Since I found out all this I have been on a quest to clean up my PC so can anyone suggest other things I can do (not to do with ads I mean).

+Quote Post
p2u
post 23.01.2007 00:56
Post #10

QUOTE(DWD @ 22.01.2007 23:44)
I did this:
I am kinda upset >.< I thought I took very good care of my PC I donno how so much crap was on it. I dont think I need to install Ewido, do you?
Since I found out all this I have been on a quest to clean up my PC so can anyone suggest other things I can do (not to do with ads I mean).

Hi, DWD!

No need to be upset. What your programs found were most probably tracking cookies and stuff. Now that you block java-scripts, you won't see any of those pop-ups any more. You should not allow cookies for ALL sites. Only forums and web-mail should be allowed to set cookies in your browser. In Firefox go to Tools - Options - Privacy and uncheck 'Accept cookies from sites'. You can then manually set the sites that are allowed in the 'Exceptions'. Just check the ones you have already [show cookies]. You should delete sites you don't recognize/don't need. If that's too hard, you can use a tool that works like NoScript:
https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/2497/
It's called CookieSafe. Everything is blocked by default, and you can set exceptions.

Also, click on NoScript - Options - Advanced - and mark
Forbid Macromedia Flash
Forbid other plugins.

Another idea is to download SpywareBlaster. It will set a bunch of addresses in both IE and Firefox that are not allowed to load any crap to your computer:
http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/spywareblaster.html
This is not a scanner! It just sets those blocked addresses in your browser. You should update it once a week or so.
Good luck!

P.S. You can find the logs for SuperAntiSpyware in Program Files - SuperAntispyware - Logs and the 'bad' files are probably in the Quarantine folder...
P.S.2: Trying Ewido, which was recommended by Turtle, is certainly something you should do...

Paul

This post has been edited by p2u: 23.01.2007 01:07

--------------------

+Quote Post
Turtle
post 23.01.2007 03:05
Post #11

Advanced Member I

QUOTE(p2u @ 22.01.2007 20:48)
They might (and most of the time do) if you apply what I indicated in my previous post [#4]... smile.gif

Paul

Well , if we consider installing NoScript and AdBlock automatically, then yes biggrin.gif tongue.gif

And your last recommendation is excellent but sounds very paranoid , in my opinion. Do you use the above settings for your browsing ? Let's not forget that the OP has Kaspersky , forbidding even Macromedia (Abobe's) Flash ... ah , well .... smile.gif

happy.gif

This post has been edited by Turtle: 23.01.2007 03:07

--------------------

+Quote Post
DWD
post 23.01.2007 04:00
Post #12

OK Ewido found yet another 77 infections >.< I set Firefox to ask every time to allow/block cookies. You 2 have been so very helpfull smile.gif

Edit: maybe pushing it but everything you have suggested worked perfectely. So wanna ask for another tip if you dont mind smile.gif Know any good registery cleaner?

This post has been edited by DWD: 23.01.2007 04:03

+Quote Post
Don Pelotas
post 23.01.2007 10:07
Post #13

Global Moderator

Group: Global moderators

QUOTE(DWD @ 23.01.2007 02:00)
OK Ewido found yet another 77 infections >.< I set Firefox to ask every time to allow/block cookies. You 2 have been so very helpfull smile.gif

Edit: maybe pushing it but everything you have suggested worked perfectely. So wanna ask for another tip if you dont mind smile.gif Know any good registery cleaner?

If those 77 were cookies then they were not infections............just cookies.

--------------------

+Quote Post
p2u
post 23.01.2007 11:13
Post #14

QUOTE(Turtle @ 23.01.2007 02:05)
Well , if we consider installing NoScript and AdBlock automatically, then yes  biggrin.gif  tongue.gif

And your last recommendation is excellent but sounds very paranoid , in my opinion. Do you use the above settings for your browsing ? Let's not forget that the OP has Kaspersky , forbidding even Macromedia (Abobe's) Flash ... ah , well ....  smile.gif

happy.gif

Hi, Turtle!
If you are not paranoid, that doesn't mean you're not being followed... biggrin.gif

What I advise are my own settings. I don't run any anti-this and anti-that in real time. And my computer is clean as a virgin. wink.gif

I guess you wouldn't like to get any links to sites that infect your computer through Flash Player, would you? wink.gif I used to be a site adviser for McAfee for some time (I quit because it is rather useless to keep adding bad sites). I know the mechanics, believe me. If DWD needs to see some Flash he really wants to see (not ads I mean), the only thing he has to do is click on the NoScript sign and say 'Allow this or that site', or even better 'Temporarily allow this or that site', [but not its third parties!]

Cookies contain (among others) the ads you've already seen, so the nasty webmaster can show you new ones. The trouble is that if you open them, you can't see anything; the only one who has the right to edit them is the server who put them onto your computer. As you probably know, cookies are also used for program settings (RealPlayer, for example). Now that begs the question: isn't a Trojan a program? wink.gif

For some reason, Firefox 2.0 has abandoned the excellent default third-party cookies management parameter. 'Bad' cookies are almost never from the main site; almost always from third parties. Why not block them all? I have two sites set that are allowed to set cookies and I've been browsing this way for a loooooong time...

I would also advise DWD to check his/her host file: WINDOWS - system32 - Drivers - Etc. - Hosts
If he/she has never edited the file him/herself, the last line should read 127.0.0.1 (localhost).
I renamed mine into XHost. In this way Windows can't find it and neither can Trojans... Besides, I've set it to ReadOnly, just in case.

Paul

This post has been edited by p2u: 23.01.2007 11:31

--------------------

+Quote Post
p2u
post 23.01.2007 11:28
Post #15

QUOTE(DWD @ 23.01.2007 03:00)

I would not encourage you to play too much with registry cleaners. Although they are helpful in some cases, you may ruin your OS if you don't know what you're doing. A good one (that's what you asked for) is RegSupreme:
http://www.macecraft.com/
but you should NEVER run it in aggressive mode! And always create the backup it suggests you with the date (and even time) of the clean-up as its name...

Paul

This post has been edited by p2u: 23.01.2007 11:29

--------------------

+Quote Post
p2u
post 23.01.2007 12:01
Post #16

QUOTE(p2u @ 23.01.2007 10:28)
I would not encourage you to play too much with registry cleaners. Although they are helpful in some cases, you may ruin your OS if you don't know what you're doing. A good one (that's what you asked for) is RegSupreme:
http://www.macecraft.com/
but you should NEVER run it in aggressive mode! And always create the backup it suggests you with the date (and even time) of the clean-up as its name...

Paul

P.S.: Since RegSupreme is not free, I'll also suggest another one: RegClean (=free)
http://www.majorgeeks.com/download458.html

Haven't tried this one myself, so I can't guarantee the results. Most programs from this site work well, though...

Paul

This post has been edited by p2u: 23.01.2007 12:01

--------------------

+Quote Post
Piston Ron
post 23.01.2007 16:11
Post #17

Kaspersky Fan I

QUOTE(p2u @ 23.01.2007 04:01)
P.S.: Since RegSupreme is not free, I'll also suggest another one: RegClean (=free)
http://www.majorgeeks.com/download458.html

Haven't tried this one myself, so I can't guarantee the results. Most programs from this site work well, though...

1) RegSeeker is also freeware (for personal use, read the EULA). I like it as well as any freeware utility that I regularly use. It includes a Registry Cleaner and several other Registry utilities.

http://www.hoverdesk.net/freeware.htm

2) Virgins aren't really all that much fun! tongue.gif

Ron smile.gif

+Quote Post
p2u
post 23.01.2007 16:25
Post #18

QUOTE(Piston Ron @ 23.01.2007 15:11)
2) Virgins aren't really all that much fun! tongue.gif

Ron smile.gif

Is that so? Tell me more... rolleyes.gif

Paul

--------------------

+Quote Post
Piston Ron
post 23.01.2007 17:17
Post #19

Kaspersky Fan I

QUOTE(p2u @ 23.01.2007 08:25)
Is that so? Tell me more... rolleyes.gif

Bumper Sticker

Sweatshirt

Coffee Mug

Ron biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
DWD
post 23.01.2007 21:08
Post #20

You guy really are something smile.gif host is 127.0.0.1 localhost. And I am taking your advice and reading about regcleaners and about whats at risk. Again Thank you ^-^

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20.10.2014 13:42