Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> File passback.js downloaded itself on my computer through Chrome browser
jaredmar
post 3.09.2013 10:14
Post #1

Group: Members

Hello,

In the past few minutes a file downloaded itself on my Windows laptop. The file's name was 'passback.js', and my only indication that it was downloaded was a dialog box in Chrome that said 'This type of file can harm your computer. Run or Discard'. Of course I chose Discard, because I hadn't downloaded anything. I was working in wordpress at the time. The programs I have open are Firefox with a familiar safe website open, Postbox desktop email client, calculator, a pdf file, My documents, and Pandora was playing in Chrome. It seemed very strange, and this type of thing hasn't ever happened before. I googled the program and found only one or two hits where the same file was downloaded to a smart phone, also without being prompted. I shouldn't have discarded the file so quickly, because I could have submitted it to have it tested. I'm not sure if this is something to be alarmed about or not, but I definitely don't feel secure if files can simply download themselves on my computer on their own..!

Jared
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
richbuff
post 3.09.2013 10:47
Post #2

Oldtimer

Group: Moderators

Welcome. Please see the first Important topic. There, you will find instructions for logs.

Please see the small print that is located at the bottom of this message.

--------------------
Please see the Important topics, located at the top of this section, and at the top of other sections of this forum.

+Quote Post
jaredmar
post 3.09.2013 23:23
Post #3

Here is the GetSystemInfo log. Shall I post the AVZ logs here as well, or submit them to technical support?

Jared

This post has been edited by jaredmar: 3.09.2013 23:24
Attached File(s)
Attached File  GetSystemInfo_JARED_LAPTOP_Jared_2013_09_03_11_01_34.zip ( 137.24K ) Number of downloads: 1

+Quote Post
richbuff
post 4.09.2013 04:46
Post #4

Oldtimer

For the purposes of this topic thread, here would be great. I don't think tech support is needed, yet; but you may contact them if you wish.

--------------------
Please see the Important topics, located at the top of this section, and at the top of other sections of this forum.

+Quote Post
jaredmar
post 4.09.2013 07:33
Post #5

Thanks for the quick replies. Here are AVZ logs.

Jared
Attached File(s)
Attached File  KL_syscure.zip ( 49K ) Number of downloads: 1

+Quote Post
richbuff
post 4.09.2013 07:41
Post #6

Oldtimer

You're welcome. Your logs look clean, except for Coupon Companion.dll, which is adware.

It appears that you are all good, but you can submit the file to the Lab, if you wish. The third Important topic has instructions.

--------------------

+Quote Post
flomzilla
post 8.09.2013 05:14
Post #7

So, I know this thread is rather old but the same thing happened to me today while using pandora in google chrome. I looked over all logs and can't see any problems. Seems like this is some rare issue with pandora's site.

+Quote Post
Phantomvortex7
post 29.10.2013 21:23
Post #8

The same thing happened with my Pandora on Chrome and it happens often. Although I never thought much about it, it only started to download a few months ago. It also only happens when I change my Station, but it is random when it asks me to do it. I thought it was a type of virus, but now that I know what it is ill try and check it out next time I have a computer to spare.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24.04.2014 00:44