Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Query on content blocker plugin and block dangerous websites module
Ankit K
post 9.03.2013 22:19
Post #1

Group: Members

Hi,

I have KIS 2013 installed on my system. Chrome and other browsers have content blocker and url advisor add on installed.Content blocker is described as:
A module for blocking dangerous websites has been added to Web Anti-Virus, which replaces an already loaded suspicious or phishing website with a page showing a danger warning in case the page's status is defined after it is loaded

There is also a block dangerous websites option under url advisor tab in web AV settings The block dangerous websites module is described as: the block dangerous websites module uses the reputation score on the website.

My questions:

1. I have disabled url advisor add on. I hope iam not affecting the protection content blocker add on offers by disabling url advisor. Pls excuse if this sounds naive. Iam not a expert and iam just wondering the functioning of these 2 add ons are related.

2. I have seen the 'block dangerous websites' option as listed under URL advisor tab in web AV settings. I have url advisor disabled. So, will block dangerous sites option work even if i have url advisor disabled?

3. Does the content blocker add on use reputation score for performing its actions? If so, in what way is this and block dangerous websites module different? If it is not so, then how does it find affected pages?

Thanks,
Ankit
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ankit K
post 12.03.2013 22:19
Post #2

It has been 3 days since i started this topic but have not received a reply. None of the kaspersky moderators available to reply???

Ankit

+Quote Post
richbuff
post 13.03.2013 06:29
Post #3

Are You Kidding?

Group: Global moderators

1. No.

2. Yes.

To sum: Disabling URL Advisor does not diminish any of the core security that Web Anti Virus provides. Nor does it diminish any other core security that Kaspersky provides.

--------------------
Please see the Important topics, located at the top of this section, and at the top of other sections of this forum.

+Quote Post
Ankit K
post 13.03.2013 10:36
Post #4

QUOTE(richbuff @ 13.03.2013 07:59) *
1. No.

2. Yes.

To sum: Disabling URL Advisor does not diminish any of the core security that Web Anti Virus provides. Nor does it diminish any other core security that Kaspersky provides.

Ok richbuff.

In chrome browser, there is an option underneath content blocker extension that says 'Allow access to file URLs'. Should i check it or not? In what way does it help?

If one goes by the description given for block dangerous websites module and URL advisor add on, it appears both of them use reputation score to perform their actions. So, URL advisor shows rating in search results but would not block a site if user still chooses to go to a malicious site but the block dangerous websites module would do that if enabled. Am i right in my understanding of them?

I must add here the reason i have URL advisor disabled is it shows many sites that are flagged by similar tools like WOT as safe. Many sites are just unmarked and a large no. of sites shown as malicious by WOT or site advisor is shown as safe by URL advisor. That is why iam forced to disable it and use WOT.

Ankit

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21.12.2014 13:56