Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Testing private fix for Slowdown problem KES 8, after patch a,b and c
Alexander Ilin
post 12.02.2013 23:20
Post #1

MVP

Group: KL Russia

Dear Users,
We encourage you to participate in beta testing of our new private fix for Kaspersky Endpoint Security 8 for Windows.

What to test
Make sure that there is no slowdown issue .
Kaspersky icon appears in tray.

Installation instruction: execute -> run the patch_pf80.exe file from a command prompt in local administrator command:
FOR EXAMPLE - "C:\Documents and Settings\user\Desktop\patch_pf80.exe"

Alternatively remote installation task can be used for patch deployment. Deployment task should be executed under local administrator account on target hosts.

Reboot the target hosts to complete patch installation.

The following file should be updated:
bl.ppl 8.1.0.903.

Attached File  patch_pf80.zip ( 965.13K ) Number of downloads: 342

In case if the client is facing any issues during patch installation, installation logs (KESPatch.log and KESPatchMSI.log) should be collected for further analysis. The given files should be located in %allusersprofile%\Application Data\Kaspersky Lab\ directory on Windows XP / Server 2003 or %programdata%\Kaspersky Lab\ on Windows 7 / Vista / Server 2008.

--------------------
Мужик молится богу: Что я должен сделать в жизни? Что будет после смерти? В чем смысл жизни? Тут раздается голос с небес: Читай F.A.Q.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
PLSCANS
post 13.02.2013 01:01
Post #2

Group: Members

We will be pushing this out tonight to some of the computers that have been freezing up and will report back how it goes.
After this is all fixed and the final patch is released (patch d?) could you guys please release a cumulative a, b, c, d executable patch installer that I can just run on each computer (either in person or via a group task) to ensure that they are completely up to date?

Thanks

Aaron Z

+Quote Post
Dmitry Ermakov
post 13.02.2013 02:06
Post #3

Advanced Member I

QUOTE(PLSCANS @ 13.02.2013 00:01) *
We will be pushing this out tonight to some of the computers that have been freezing up and will report back how it goes.
After this is all fixed and the final patch is released (patch d?) could you guys please release a cumulative a, b, c, d executable patch installer that I can just run on each computer (either in person or via a group task) to ensure that they are completely up to date?

Thanks

Aaron Z

We will think about this. Thank you for idea!

--------------------
Best regards,
Dmitry Ermakov
KL Team

+Quote Post
Junuz
post 13.02.2013 09:39
Post #4

Applied Patch pf18 for 1 Problem PC (Will try on one more Problematic PC and update later)
- After Applying patch there is no task completion notification, waited a while and initiated system restart from start menu.
- It did not restart but stuck on blank black screen. After waiting for a while did a force restart by holding Power button
- Next login was fast but no AV icon on Task bar running Application list.
- Again Restarted from start menu- Login was faster-AV icon came up.(checked Version 831 (a,b,c,pf18))
- Tried opening some application – system slow and not responding – Same issue
For temporary workaround
- For rolling back to patch a - Tried to uninstall NA – Uninstall task not responding-restarted and tried to uninstall KES8-uninstall not responding
- Used klremover tool to uninstall both
- Installed NA&KES standalone package (with patch a) –Module update disabled from update task
- PC seems to be stable

Suggestions:
- Agrees PLSCANS about cumulative patch (though prefer MSI file instead of exe so that we can push easily using any deployment tool or GPO

- It will be great if you can release a cumulative update for definition update too as after new install the update itself is around 200MB (or if there is a way to attach these definition updates along with installer of AV like the Module update)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After applying pf80 on a 831 (a.b.c)
- After applying patch there is no task completion notification, checked AV status and was showing Restart pending (Logged in as Local Admin).
- Restarted laptop from windows start- Took loooooooooon time at shutting down and finally got restarted
- Logged in back – again it took a looong time for AV icon to appear.
- Checked AV Version its : 8.1.0.831 (a.b.c.pf80)
- Took a copy of KESPatch & KESPatchMSI logs
- Restarted PC once more and logged in as domain user (not local Admin)
- Checked applications – Outlook –Worrd etc etc--- Everything seems to be working fine so far 
Suggestions:
- Agrees on suggestion by PLSCANS about cumulative patch (though prefer MSI file so that we can push easily using any deployment tool or GPO

- It will be great if you can release a cumulative update for definition update too as after new install the update itself is around 200MB (or if there is a way to attach these definition updates along with installer of AV like the Module update) similar
Will Try on one more Problematic PC and will update status

This post has been edited by Don Pelotas: 13.02.2013 20:40
Reason for edit: Merged posts

+Quote Post
Mikhail Kolobash...
post 13.02.2013 10:47
Post #5

Web services support engineer

- Checked AV Version its : 8.1.0.831 (a.b.c.pf80)
- Took a copy of KESPatch & KESPatchMSI logs
- Restarted PC once more and logged in as domain user (not local Admin)
- Checked applications – Outlook –Worrd etc etc--- Everything seems to be working fine so far

Junuz

Thank you!

+Quote Post
Junuz
post 13.02.2013 11:15
Post #6

Is there any way to get notified by email or so, for any Module update release so that we can keep it off and update only once we test it?

+Quote Post
Mikhail Kolobash...
post 13.02.2013 11:46
Post #7

It has not decided yet whether it would be an autopatch or privrate fix or something else.

+Quote Post
Junuz
post 13.02.2013 11:56
Post #8

Pleas Help me with some Query's before I start applying this on more for test : ( whether you need log files after installing pf80 or before-or is it an appended one?)
- as its taking long time on shutting down screen on initial restart- if user restart laptop force fully what will be the effect on patch?
- is it okay to install this patch on 831 (a.b )?
-Once Patch d is released what steps I have to do on machines which have pf80 installed?
-how can I install Patch c on a machine with Patch (a.b ) (Tried Enabling Module update on local update task and ran update many time but not getting patch c installed.
-how to uninstall pf80 patch?
-should I check the patch on any PC with out slow issue or it doesn't matter?

This post has been edited by Junuz: 13.02.2013 11:56

+Quote Post
corvex
post 13.02.2013 12:37
Post #9

Advanced Member I

Group: Public Testers

QUOTE(Junuz @ 13.02.2013 08:15) *
Is there any way to get notified by email or so, for any Module update release so that we can keep it off and update only once we test it?

Good Idea !
I was thinkin about this too: many of admins have test groups inside the network for pilot testing. It takes nothing to test the new databeses, application modules, rules etc. on some clients instead of roll up immediately every update to the entire network.

+Quote Post
Junuz
post 13.02.2013 13:16
Post #10

QUOTE(Junuz @ 13.02.2013 11:56) *
Pleas Help me with some Query's before I start applying this on more for test : ( whether you need log files after installing pf80 or before-or is it an appended one?) -
as its taking long time on shutting down screen on initial restart- if user restart laptop force fully what will be the effect on patch?
-Once Patch d is released what steps I have to do on machines which have pf80 installed?
-how can I install Patch c on a machine with Patch (a.b ) (Tried Enabling Module update on local update task and ran update many time but not getting patch c installed.

Edit : Gone trough the log file - Believe its a Appended log file

Installed pf80 on 2 clients with Patch a.b having issue (was not getting patch c with update module option enabled) - Seems to fix issue of Hanging/not responding

This post has been edited by Junuz: 13.02.2013 13:18

+Quote Post
Mikhail Kolobash...
post 13.02.2013 13:43
Post #11

Junuz
Pleas Help me with some Query's before I start applying this on more for test : ( whether you need log files after installing pf80 or before-or is it an appended one?)
- as its taking long time on shutting down screen on initial restart- if user restart laptop force fully what will be the effect on patch?

It is better to wait until the end of installation. It seems you have to install the patch one more time.

yes , it is ok.

Here is the list of all possible cases:

8.1.0.813(a,b,c),
8.1.0.813(a,cool.gif,
8.1.0.813(a,b,c, PF79),
8.1.0.813(a,b, PF79).

Nothing, just make "download modules update" available.

Hope this article is useful in answering both of your questions:

How to install Kaspersky Lab patches

Articles sections: How to uninstall a patch, How to check if a particular patch is installed.

That's up to you. If there is no slowdown then it maybe useless to apply the patch. But you can roll it out without any hesitation in your environment after the its public release.

+Quote Post
Mikhail Kolobash...
post 13.02.2013 15:00
Post #12

According to information we've got pf80 has passed full cycle of testing and can be used as a final solution (just for now).

Soon, in the middle of the March, CF2 for KES 8 is going to be released. We will let you know.

+Quote Post
Kelly67A2
post 13.02.2013 20:46
Post #13

QUOTE(Mikhail Kolobashkin @ 13.02.2013 05:00) *
According to information we've got pf80 has passed full cycle of testing and can be used as a final solution (just for now).

Soon, in the middle of the March, CF2 for KES 8 is going to be released. We will let you know.

What does this mean? I do not understand what you are trying to say. Please be specific about the lifecycle of pf80.

Does this mean pf80 will be redesignated as CF2 and distributed in March and there will be no "D" patch? Is pf80 actually the "D" patch? Will there be a "D" patch? What is a "CF2"? Since pf80 is official, what does this mean? It is officially a pf? Will KES automatically just download pf80? I need to know what all this means so that when I intall it out on clients, if something goes wrong, I can once again tell the Director what the latest problem is, and why I deployed this "pf80", and does a PF actually turn into a " patch D", or does a pf turn into a CF, and why didn't I just wait, and how long would we need to have waited.
BE SPECIFIC SO I CAN DETERMINE WHAT TO DO NEXT.

+Quote Post
deadbeef
post 13.02.2013 21:19
Post #14

QUOTE(Kelly67A2 @ 13.02.2013 11:46) *
What does this mean? I do not understand what you are trying to say. Please be specific about the lifecycle of pf80.

Does this mean pf80 will be redesignated as CF2 and distributed in March and there will be no "D" patch? Is pf80 actually the "D" patch? Will there be a "D" patch? What is a "CF2"? Since pf80 is official, what does this mean? It is officially a pf? Will KES automatically just download pf80? I need to know what all this means so that when I intall it out on clients, if something goes wrong, I can once again tell the Director what the latest problem is, and why I deployed this "pf80", and does a PF actually turn into a " patch D", or does a pf turn into a CF, and why didn't I just wait, and how long would we need to have waited.
BE SPECIFIC SO I CAN DETERMINE WHAT TO DO NEXT.

I agree 100%. What should our next steps be?? Wait for an auto patch to fix these issues or continue to try alternative solutions (like pf80)? I seem to be having a lot of issues with SC 9 reporting computers not being updated in over a week as well. Have a lot of you seen this?

+Quote Post
PLSCANS
post 13.02.2013 23:23
Post #15

The computers where this has been manually installed are no longer freezing up and being slow.
I tried running it as a group task at 2 test sites last night, one with ~25 computers and one with ~65. Set both to run as a group task at 1AM.
At the site with 25 computers it appears that ~18 computers were left on overnight. The pf_80 task claims that it ran on 7 computers and failed on 11 with the error "Time allocated for product installation task has exceeded the timeout. The task on this computer will be marked as failed." however, looking at the version report, pf_80 only installed on 2 machines
At the site with 65 computers, they left the 10 computers that were freezing on overnight and they all failed with the error "Time allocated for product installation task has exceeded the timeout. The task on this computer will be marked as failed."

I would really like a rollup patch available within the next week as an exe or a MSI (not picky) that will install patches a, b, c and pf_80 (or whatever its final name will be) in one fell swoop.
I know that it will be an "out of band patch" but you guys have cost us enough time, lost productivity and goodwill by releasing broken patches in the past 2 weeks that (IMO) we deserve a simple way to say to the people at our remote sites "run this file on each computer and it will be all better"

Just my $0.02

Aaron Z

+Quote Post
tinalms
post 14.02.2013 00:20
Post #16

Advanced Member I

QUOTE(PLSCANS @ 13.02.2013 14:23) *
The computers where this has been manually installed are no longer freezing up and being slow.
I tried running it as a group task at 2 test sites last night, one with ~25 computers and one with ~65. Set both to run as a group task at 1AM.
At the site with 25 computers it appears that ~18 computers were left on overnight. The pf_80 task claims that it ran on 7 computers and failed on 11 with the error "Time allocated for product installation task has exceeded the timeout. The task on this computer will be marked as failed." however, looking at the version report, pf_80 only installed on 2 machines
At the site with 65 computers, they left the 10 computers that were freezing on overnight and they all failed with the error "Time allocated for product installation task has exceeded the timeout. The task on this computer will be marked as failed."

I would really like a rollup patch available within the next week as an exe or a MSI (not picky) that will install patches a, b, c and pf_80 (or whatever its final name will be) in one fell swoop.
I know that it will be an "out of band patch" but you guys have cost us enough time, lost productivity and goodwill by releasing broken patches in the past 2 weeks that (IMO) we deserve a simple way to say to the people at our remote sites "run this file on each computer and it will be all better"

Just my $0.02

Aaron Z

I totally agree with you on this one. I am getting the same issues with pf80 in the error of time issue. Also the 2 machines that I did get it to install on did not fix the slowdown issue or make the K come back in the tray and these machines now have a,b,c,pf80 at least according to the machines that is what they say are on them.

+Quote Post
Michael Cristian...
post 14.02.2013 00:27
Post #17

Dear,
I am over 50 computers experiencing the problems reported above. When a definitive solution to this problem is scheduled to be released?
pf80 is the solution? Should I wait a autopatch or manually implement pf80?
Thanks, Mic

+Quote Post
Mikhail Kolobash...
post 14.02.2013 14:20
Post #18

General Info

Patch Pf80 will be included in CF2 that is going to be released soon.
To fix the slowdown issue now it is necessary to install the patch pf80 on the affected computers.

How to install

The patch can be installed locally or deployed via Security Center.

http://support.kaspersky.com/9707.

The patch can be apllied to 8.1.0.813 ( a , b , c ) and 8.1.0.813 ( a , b , c , PF79 ) versions only.

To install locally run patch_pf80.exe /when now in cmd.

To deploy patch see instructions in this article http://support.kaspersky.com/8755
Attached File(s)
Attached File  patch_pf80.zip ( 965.13K ) Number of downloads: 36

+Quote Post
zeljko.n
post 14.02.2013 14:21
Post #19

Advanced Member II

Just one question,mp4 version is not affected with this problem?

+Quote Post
Mikhail Kolobash...
post 14.02.2013 14:23
Post #20

WKS / FS MP4 is not affected.

+Quote Post

7 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic