IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Kaspersky 2012 upgrade to 2013, windows 7 - upgrade to 8, I need some guidance please!
summerhousejo
post 3.01.2013 00:13
Post #1

Group: Members

Hi, I have a HP desktop with kaspersky on it, until yesterday it was the 2012 version, but I upgraded it to 2013 in order to install windows 8, as this was advised by the install check.

However, non of the apps work on the start screen, after lots of updating of windows etc, I gave up having had no joy after 10 hours of system updates etc.

I didn't suspect the kaspersky anti virus to be the problem until I saw your post. And so, for my next trick I will uninstall this programme. But then what do I do? Is it totally incompatible? Did you manage to reinstall yours?

Thanks

Jo!

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
summerhousejo
post 3.01.2013 02:22
Post #2

Hi...

I'm new to all this. A long term user of Apple Macs, I am in the PC world, because I have a kid with autism and he loves simulator games.

So for Christmas, he had a HP tower which I upgraded the memory to 8GB. So far so good.

I then realised that I could upgrade the windows 7 to windows 8 for not much money and so I ran an update programme and it told me that there was an incompatibility with the kaspersky programme. I checked this out, and realised there was an upgrade for this to 2013, so I carried this out via the website.

I then installed the windows 8. It all looked good - but on the Start screen, the apps didn't work (just spinning bubbles failing to load the screen). I fiddled around for several hours, tweeting Microsoft, checking compatability, installing further updates... Until I had quite enough (after about 10 hoursl)

Today I haven't bothered much as I don't really know what to do. However, someone else has had a similar problem to me on here, and uninstalled the programme and Windows 8 apparently works ok.

So my question is this: should I uninstall kaspersky? I have the programme on disks, but this will be the 2012 version.
I really am very new to all this, so please, if anyone has any suggestions, I'd be very grateful if they could be relatively simple! Many thanks!

+Quote Post
?Id?
post 3.01.2013 03:43
Post #3

Advanced Member I

Just curious about something.

Did you uninstall the previous version (That had incompatibility issue) then install 2013; or did you just install 2013 without uninstalling the previous version?

It's usually advised that you uninstall the previous version before installing the next one. (Keeping activation data checked)

You can try a clean install, and see if it helps.

This post has been edited by ?Id?: 3.01.2013 03:46

+Quote Post
summerhousejo
post 3.01.2013 12:14
Post #4

QUOTE(?Id? @ 2.01.2013 23:43) *
Just curious about something.

Did you uninstall the previous version (That had incompatibility issue) then install 2013; or did you just install 2013 without uninstalling the previous version?

It's usually advised that you uninstall the previous version before installing the next one. (Keeping activation data checked)

You can try a clean install, and see if it helps.

Thanks ?Id?
I just installed the next one (I never saw anything come up on the site about uninstalling the old one first, so I just went ahead).

So... What does 'keeping activation data checked' mean? And what does 'try a clean install mean?' (Do you mean I should uninstall the whole thing and start again?) sorry to have so many questions... I'm so out of my depth!

Thanks, Jo.

+Quote Post
?Id?
post 3.01.2013 22:54
Post #5

Advanced Member I

QUOTE(summerhousejo @ 3.01.2013 11:14) *
Thanks ?Id?
I just installed the next one (I never saw anything come up on the site about uninstalling the old one first, so I just went ahead).

So... What does 'keeping activation data checked' mean? And what does 'try a clean install mean?' (Do you mean I should uninstall the whole thing and start again?) sorry to have so many questions... I'm so out of my depth!

Thanks, Jo.

Ok if you still have the program on disk; (2012) you should still have the CD sleeve with the activation code on it. It should work with 2013.

If you don't have the code, or have it registered with a "my kaspersky account" then disregard this section, and see the next section below.

You can find everything I'm mentioning in this topic.

1. You should first download the 2013 installer package from the Kaspersky website. (Not run it, but save it to your desktop.) *Unsure if it's different with Win8*

2. Then download the kavremover tool

The article (Where you downloaded the kaspersky remover tool) will give you details on how to boot up in "safe mode", and run the remover tool for Windows 8.
Though you might want to run it a second time, and choose "Remove all known products".

3. Once done reboot your computer, so it starts up normally. (Not into safe mode)

4. Run the Kaspersky 2013 installer package you downloaded earlier, and let it install the program. After it's done it should ask you to activate the
program, and that's where you input the code that's on the CD sleeve of the 2012 disk you should have.

5. Once activated > reboot your computer > click update in the kaspersky program > reboot your computer; once the update is done

If you don't have the code

1. Download the 2013 installer package from the website.

2. Go, and uninstall the incompatible kaspersky program. As you would normally uninstall a program from your computer.

3. Before it uninstalls the program it should show you a choice of options to keep (I.E. Settings, etc.) You should only have "Keep Activation Data"
checked.

4. Then uninstall kaspersky. Reboot your computer.

5. Run the 2013 installer package, and since you kept activation data it should already be activated once it's done installing.

6. Reboot your computer > update databases > reboot once more.

If none of these work; then you'll have to wait for someone else with more knowledge to help.

This post has been edited by ?Id?: 3.01.2013 23:09

+Quote Post
summerhousejo
post 4.01.2013 00:33
Post #6

QUOTE(?Id? @ 3.01.2013 18:54) *
Ok if you still have the program on disk; (2012) you should still have the CD sleeve with the activation code on it. It should work with 2013.

If you don't have the code, or have it registered with a "my kaspersky account" then disregard this section, and see the next section below.

1. You should first download the 2013 installer package from the Kaspersky website. (Not run it, but save it to your desktop.) *Unsure if it's different with Win8*

2. Then download the kavremover tool

The article (Where you downloaded the kaspersky remover tool) will give you details on how to boot up in "safe mode", and run the remover tool for Windows 8.
Though you might want to run it a second time, and choose "Remove all known products".

3. Once done reboot your computer, so it starts up normally. (Not into safe mode)

4. Run the Kaspersky 2013 installer package you downloaded earlier, and let it install the program. After it's done it should ask you to activate the
program, and that's where you input the code that's on the CD sleeve of the 2012 disk you should have.

5. Once activated > reboot your computer > click update in the kaspersky program > reboot your computer; once the update is done
If you don't have the code

1. Download the 2013 installer package from the website.

2. Go, and uninstall the incompatible kaspersky program. As you would normally uninstall a program from your computer.

3. Before it uninstalls the program it should show you a choice of options to keep (I.E. Settings, etc.) You should only have "Keep Activation Data"
checked.

4. Then uninstall kaspersky. Reboot your computer.

5. Run the 2013 installer package, and since you kept activation data it should already be activated once it's done installing.

6. Reboot your computer > update databases > reboot once more.

If none of these work; then you'll have to wait for someone else with more knowledge to help.

Thanks so much for your extensive help! I am delighted to report that I have successfully accomplished my mission! I now have the PC up and running
with Windows 8, and Kaspersky 2013 both in place and operating as they should. For anyone reading this post, my failure was due to the fact that I didn't know I had to uninstall 2012 version of Kaspersky before going for the update (what a lot of grief this caused me!) BUt big thanks to you for helping me out, I'm most grateful! ?id?

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20.04.2014 12:14