IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Closed TopicStart new topic
> Kaspersky and Mozilla, Redux merged with one of the previous ones.
Tabvla
post 30.10.2012 14:19
Post #1

Advanced Member I

Group: Members

Mozilla frequently release updates for Firefox. Every time Firefox is updated important features of KIS are disabled - for example, Anti-Banner; URL Advisor; Virtual Keyboard and Safe Money. (These are features which I use every day).

On average it takes around a week for Firefox and KIS to get their act together and for these features to be re-enabled. And by then it is almost time for the next update to Firefox and for these features to be disabled again.

This is now occuring so frequently that it almost renders Firefox as being incompatible with KIS.

Is there any way that either Mozilla and/or Kaspersky Labs can improve the response times to updates to ensure that these key features of KIS are disabled for a much shorter period ? Or have we reached a situation that if we want to use KIS that we are forced to use IE or Chrome ?

T.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
sprog
post 30.10.2012 16:57
Post #2

Advanced Member III

I hear you Tabvla, but as you may know, it's probably best to point out that you're pointing your post in the wrong direction.

I think you'd be a lot more effective to send your points to Kaspersky directly, rather than on a user forum staffed by users. While your point is definitely valid, it will probably not be heard through the forum itself.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Tabvla
post 30.10.2012 19:03
Post #3

Advanced Member I

Thanks for your comments Sprog..... and I agree your assessment is almost certainly correct.

I raised the issue in the Forum in the hope that someone would reply, tell me that I am a "dummy" and that the solution is XYZ....

I am finding it difficult to understand why this happens every time (and I mean every time) Firefox is updated. Having been a programmer in my early days in computing, from a code-base perspective it just does not make a lot of sense.

And I don't even know who fixes the problem. Does Kaspersky Labs fix the problem or does Mozilla fix the problem ?

T.

+Quote Post
Eqinox187
post 30.10.2012 21:45
Post #4

Advanced Member I

I know your pain Tabvla but the problem is its always been this way with kaspersky and firefox and kaspersky always seem to lag way behind in updating vital componants of security to be compatible with firefox and like the recent firefox update its been around 2 weeks and still the plugins are incompatible and thats the thing i dont get IE / Chrome and many others can all update multiple times and the same plugin workes perfectly but every time firefox updates its breaks them. Im sure firefox does not change that drasticly internaly because if it did we would see many other plugins disabled. As for a fix well realy the only fix is to use another browser like chrome

+Quote Post
richbuff
post 31.10.2012 03:41
Post #5

Are You Kidding?

Group: Moderators

QUOTE(Tabvla)
Kaspersky and Mozilla add-ons are disabled...why?
This question has been asked 510 204.08 on this forum. The end result is this topic keeps coming up...and coming up... and coming up..... and nothing else. No resolution in sight. Just the same old severely ad nauseam repetition.

Instead of flooding this forum with Kaspersky and Firefox add-ons topic #510 204.08, please ask Tech Support this extremely popular question. If/when you receive any useful information, please post back. I am leaving this repeated discussion topic open, so as to enable such a possibility. All other same-old repetition will be vaporized. So I am asking the forum members to please not post same old repeated content. Please.

If anyone wishes to read a lot more on this topic, please Search. There is tons of circular content on this topic. No more needs to be created, because the same old content is still every bit as useful as this topic thread is.

----------------
Sorry, an error occurred. The board has enabled "Firefox add-ons incompatible" flood control. Please try posting non-"Firefox add-ons incompatible" content.

+Quote Post
Tabvla
post 1.12.2012 22:50
Post #6

Advanced Member I

As suggested by Richbuff I logged this issue with Tech Support. I received an automated acknowledgment. And then nothing.

If KIS Tech Support is unwilling to address this issue then surely it is only common courtesy to reply to your customer and advise them accordingly. I have been in business most of my adult life and my customers are the most important thing in my business life - without them I would not have a business.

T.

+Quote Post
Don Pelotas
post 1.12.2012 23:38
Post #7

Global Moderator

Group: Global moderators

You taking this (understandably i guess) too personal, yes of course they should have followed up.

I know those which would be those responding to you (after the initial acknowledgement) very well, they are good people who are "victims" if you will of the phenomenal success/growth Kaspersky has had over the last few years from obscure nerd choice to every man choice in the mold of the big ones like those in red and yellow boxes. Would that be an adequate excuse...of course not, but i can releate to their plight ....i was once employed in a similar function in another company, basically what happens is that you start off the week with say 100 cases to fix, when it's friday you may have fixed/closed say 70 or even 99 because many are very standard and an easy fix, however the constant flow of new cases means that when you come to work on the next monday are now up to 100 new cases again or more...............in other words covering all in what we as users think of as what it should be like is impossible....again not an excuse, just trying bring reality into this.

The FF thingie is NOT going to get "fixed" in a jippie....the honest answer is that everytime FF brings out new versions there will be a period until fixed and by a new build is almost on the doorsteps because FF has been cornered by the now more popular Chrome browser which brings out new builds at an amazing pace, so they had to react and up their pace and because of the way it's built with the addons it's going to be an issue every single time they do that.

If fixing this every time was an easy fix...then i think everyone would know it would be fixed fast, why would any vendor make a portion of their user base annoyed if this was a easy fix? smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Tabvla
post 14.01.2013 21:09
Post #8

Advanced Member I

Three Thumbs Up to the guys and girls at Kaspersky beer.gif

The last two updates of Firefox (v17 & v18) have gone flawlessly. All the KIS Extensions have been updated and have worked as expected immediately after the update.

The functions of "Safe Money", "Virtual Keyboard", "URL Advisor" and "Content Blocker" are so essential to my normal daily tasks that I had set as a New Year priority the task of dumping KIS on all my computers (and the others that I look after) and change to Norton. I am glad that I waited until after the holidays.

I am now one very happy customer.

Thanks.

T.

+Quote Post
Tabvla
post 14.04.2013 15:40
Post #9

Advanced Member I

If Kaspersky Labs has no intention of supporting Mozilla Firefox then it would be most helpful to us (the customers) if they would be honest and truthful and come out and make a public statement to the effect that Firefox will no longer be supported.

It is now 3 months (last Kaspersky Firefox compatibility update was 14 January) since Kaspersky and Firefox were compatible. There are critical security issues in Firefox that must be fixed by installing the Firefox updates. But installing the Firefox updates breaks the equally critical functions in Kaspersky of "URL Advisor", "Safe Money", "Virtual Keyboard" and "Content Blocker".

It is completely unreasonable to expect customers to wait more than 3 months for critical updates that seriously impact on security.

I manage many computers and on these computers we use, in equal amounts, Kaspersky, Trend Micro and Norton. Some users use IE and a few (very few) use Chrome. But the preferred browser for most users is Firefox. We have absolutely no problems with Trend Micro and Norton compatibility with Firefox updates. The Add-Ons work seamlessly at the time of updating and everything carries on as normal.

If we had a clear indication from Kaspersky Labs that Mozilla Firefox was no longer going to be suipported then we could make the decision to dump Kaspersky and move all those computers onto either Trend Micro or Norton.

It just would be nice to know what the intention for the future is so that one can make informed decisions.

T.

+Quote Post
3x0gR13N
post 14.04.2013 16:07
Post #10

Kaspersky Fan III

But installing the Firefox updates breaks the equally critical functions in Kaspersky of "URL Advisor", "Safe Money", "Virtual Keyboard" and "Content Blocker".

Plugins are not critical components, the main protection is within KIS itself: http://forum.kaspersky.com/index.php?act=f...amp;pid=1989348
There's really no point in Kaspersky making an effort in providing up to date plugins for FF's insane release cycle (combined with bad plugin support) because they can dedicate that time for more important bug fixes and stuff that actually protects your system from being infected.

+Quote Post
Tabvla
post 14.04.2013 20:53
Post #11

Advanced Member I

QUOTE(3x0gR13N @ 14.04.2013 15:07) *
Plugins are not critical components, the main protection is within KIS itself: http://forum.kaspersky.com/index.php?act=f...amp;pid=1989348
There's really no point in Kaspersky making an effort in providing up to date plugins for FF's insane release cycle (combined with bad plugin support) because they can dedicate that time for more important bug fixes and stuff that actually protects your system from being infected.

Thank you for your reply.

If I understand you correctly you are saying that "....URL Advisor, Safe Money, Virtual Keyboard and Content Blocker... are not important components of KIS and don't inhance overall security...." In other words these are just sort of gimmicky things thought up by the marketing department rather than important engineering components.

Can you please confirm that my understanding is correct.

T.

+Quote Post
alex5723
post 14.04.2013 21:03
Post #12

Advanced Member I

3x0gR13N is correct. These FF plugins are not needed in regard to security.

This post has been edited by alex5723: 14.04.2013 21:04

+Quote Post
Tabvla
post 14.04.2013 22:14
Post #13

Advanced Member I

QUOTE(alex5723 @ 14.04.2013 20:03) *
3x0gR13N is correct. These FF plugins are not needed in regard to security.

Thank you for your reply.

For those of us who are less knowledgeable could you please help us to understand why these "useless Add-ons" are included with the KIS package.

Personally I have always believed that the 4 functions of "....URL Advisor, Safe Money, Virtual Keyboard and Content Blocker... " were useful and important aspects of creating a safe environment within which to work. I was also of the impression that the vast majority of KIS users shared the same view.

Now that you and 3x0gR13N have told me (and others) that we have been living in some kind of "idiots paradise" with respect to these utilities can you please provide us with some guidance as to how we can safely access our bank accounts; login with our passwords to various sites; ensure that a URL is safe to click on.... and the many other actions that are typically part of a normal Internet experience.

I look forward to receiving some help with respect to these questions so that I in turn can pass on this valuable information to others for whom I have a responsibility.

T.

+Quote Post
3x0gR13N
post 14.04.2013 23:04
Post #14

Kaspersky Fan III

URL Advisor: provides visual information about a site before you access it.
If the site is rated dangerous/red it will be blocked, with or without the plugin because the WebAV component blocks HTTP streams and dangerous URLs at traffic level, not via plugins.
If the site is "gray"/unknown it doesn't mean the site is potentially infected or with low reputation. It just means Kaspersky hasn't verified it yet and there are many, many legitimate sites that have been around for years and haven't been verified yet. This doesn't necessarily mean you should avoid them.
If the site is labeled "green"/safe by the plugin it doesn't mean the site is actually safe, because sites can be compromised within minutes and on a large scale which results in the plugin not getting appropriate update for hours, sometimes days. Then, you end up in a situation where the site is "safe" yet contains undiscovered malicious code. Or it creates a discrepancy between the information provided by the plugin and main protection component WebAV: in this case a compromised site is marked as safe by the plugin and when you access it it gets detected by the WebAV component.
URL marked as safe by URL advisor:
Attached File  url1.PNG ( 54,69K ) Number of downloads: 54

...but the site is compromised, as indicated by the WebAV detection upon accessing the mentioned website:
Attached File  urlscan2.PNG ( 81,66K ) Number of downloads: 29

All of this results in a false sense of security given by the plugin.

Content blocker: rescans accessed websites utilizing new up-to-the-second information from KSN. Cases where this is useful are extremely rare because the time it takes to create a signature from a KSN detection and distribute it via regular updates which allows WebAV to detect it via regular methods is very short. In addition, UFO detection (KSN/cloud detection of malicious URLs) should work without plugins AFAIK, via WebAV component.

Safe Money/Virtual keyboard are useful only in cases when you suspect that your system is infected. It's a means to help mitigate cases where the user uses banking on a system infected with yet unknown malware. The likelihood of your system getting infected and slip the detection of main protection components is very low because all protection components work with 100% capacity without plugins.
Even without plugins Safe money works, but with some limitations.

Anti-banner: provides a context menu for blocking website elements from within the browser. Banners are blocked at traffic level, regardless of plugin and said web elements can be manually added to the blacklist via Anti-banner settings.

Plugins are there for convenience more than security, included for marketing reasons more than anything else.

This post has been edited by 3x0gR13N: 14.04.2013 23:16

+Quote Post
TOGS
post 14.04.2013 23:37
Post #15

Advanced Member III

QUOTE(3x0gR13N @ 14.04.2013 22:04) *
Safe Money/Virtual keyboard are useful only in cases when you suspect that your system is infected. It's a means to help mitigate cases where the user uses banking on a system infected with yet unknown malware. The likelihood of your system getting infected and slip the detection of main protection components is very low because all protection components work with 100% capacity without plugins.
Even without plugins Safe money works, but with some limitations.

Plugins are there for convenience more than security, included for marketing reasons more than anything else.

Hello....Very interesting indeed but regarding the SafeMoney in particular how do you square that with Eugene Kaspersky's comments.

The majority of products don’t have all the necessary features to provide fully comprehensive protection. What’s worse, the features they do have
don’t work together harmoniously in solving specific problems, even though what’s really needed here is a multi-faceted, wide-spectrum “medicine”.

And so, if you’ll please now welcome onto the stage… Safe Money technology!

http://eugene.kaspersky.com/2012/08/14/saf...nking-security/

+Quote Post
richbuff
post 15.04.2013 04:35
Post #16

Are You Kidding?

I merged your new topic for this issue with one of your other topics for this issue.

We have 510 204.08 Firefox add-ons incompatible topics. All of the content in them has been repeated over and over again.

Our experience shows that all of these topics can run on forever, with the same content repeated over and over again.

Please see: http://www.google.com/cse?cx=0054261977750...&gsc.page=1

If anyone has anything new and informative to add to this often repeated discussion, please click my user name and select Send message, and I shall cheerfully re-open this for you.

Closed, as beaten to death billions of time over again. smile.gif

--------------
Sorry, an error occurred. The board has enabled "Firefox add-ons" flood control. Please try posting non-"Firefox add-ons" content.

+Quote Post

Closed TopicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22.09.2014 10:12