Reply to this topicStart new topic
> removing geardrvs and and possibly infected objects
Just Wondering
post 27.10.2012 14:46
Post #1

Advanced Member I

Group: Members

Hi
A couple of problems, if anyone can help please.

1. I ran the Kasp GSI tool, which found 'GearDrvs' and 'Norton 360' as incompatible software.
The problem is that I have previously tried to remove these items using the norton removal tool, as well as in Vista, using the search terms 'geardrvs / norton / symantec' in 'search everywhere > advanced search, with location everywhere and include non-indexed, hidden.... selected, where I deleted any entries found (but did nothing related to the registry), so presumably these items should not be there. However, these items still appear even after these removal attempts.

This time, in Vista admin accnt, after running the GSI tool, which found geardrvs and norton 360, I ran the norton removal tool, then after rebooting, ran the GSI report tool again, http://www.getsysteminfo.com/read.php?file...513ed89e75a9dbb which this time only found 'geardrvs'. Therefore, the removal tool got rid of norton but not geardrvs. Therefore, does anyone know how to get rid of geardrvs when the removal tool doesn't remove it and I can't find it using advanced search to find it. I don't understand how the GSI tool can find it yet I can't using searches - if only the GSI tool gave a location link!

What I do know is that Norton 360 came as part of my laptop when purchased and is part of the recovery disc set; when formatting C:\ even if I select to install the OS only and not factory installed software in recovery partition, it still installs 360. So I wonder if after each removal it keeps re-populating itself from the recovery section on the HDD - only a guess. So, how can I find and remove geardrvs and keep it removed?

2. I ran the kasp system state report. It found some possibly infected objects (see screenshot) (I blanked part of the numbers' in case there's a security issue with showing the full numbers).
Attached File  Untitled.jpg ( 131,71K ) Number of downloads: 11
Are these anything to worry about or need removal?

Cheers.

This post has been edited by Just Wondering: 27.10.2012 14:50
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
richbuff
post 28.10.2012 03:26
Post #2

Are You Kidding?

Group: Moderators

1. That is probably just an inert registry entry. You can ignore that.

2. "Collect technical information... with the help of Kaspersky Lab experts. Create system state report"
Emphasis added. There are no user-serviceable parts in the system state report. Please ignore it and its contents.

--------------------
Please see the Important topics, located at the top of this section, and at the top of other sections of this forum.

+Quote Post
dbrisendine
post 28.10.2012 06:20
Post #3

Advanced Member I

Group: Members

Also,

You can find manual instructions to remove GEAR drivers here => http://www.gearsoftware.com/wiki/index.php...nd_Windows_2000

Hope this helps.

edit: Also,

This post has been edited by richbuff: 28.10.2012 07:36

--------------------
Win7 Ultimate SP1 32bit ;AMD 2GHz; 3GB RAM
KIS2013 13.0.1.4190(d)

+Quote Post
Just Wondering
post 28.10.2012 16:08
Post #4

Advanced Member I