Closed TopicStart new topic
> kaspersky internet security 2013 startup very slow
kromosto
post 24.10.2012 23:19
Post #41

Advanced Member I

Group: Members

QUOTE(Pista Bacsi @ 24.10.2012 22:03) *
KIS 2012 starts faster but it has the same issue like the 2013. No protection until the K appears.

it is not like this in my setup. i tested with eicar and an application that runs at the windows startup and kis2012 worked perfect for me.

i hope this message of mine make sense smile.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
bigpotatopat
post 25.10.2012 05:35
Post #42

Is this problem in the KIS 2013 Version (13.0.1.4190) ?

Just wanted to know which version of KIS 2013 to avoid. wink.gif

Thx
Pat

+Quote Post
Don Pelotas
post 25.10.2012 08:36
Post #43

Global Moderator

Group: Global moderators

QUOTE(bigpotatopat @ 25.10.2012 03:35) *
Is this problem in the KIS 2013 Version (13.0.1.4190) ?

Just wanted to know which version of KIS 2013 to avoid. wink.gif

Thx
Pat

It's the only one you should/can get, any updates will simply add a "C" next time a"D" and so forth as new fixes is added auto via the updater.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Pista Bacsi
post 25.10.2012 13:23
Post #44

QUOTE(kromosto @ 24.10.2012 21:19) *
it is not like this in my setup. i tested with eicar and an application that runs at the windows startup and kis2012 worked perfect for me.

i hope this message of mine make sense smile.gif

I used the same test methodology for both KIS 2012 & 2013.
And there is no protection just only after when the K icon appears.
I have KIS 2012 on a slower PC but this doesn't matter.
In fact it's more easy to test because it takes more time to be fully loaded.
If you don't believe me I can make a video and post it here.

+Quote Post
Don Pelotas
post 25.10.2012 16:21
Post #45

Global Moderator

QUOTE(Pista Bacsi @ 25.10.2012 11:23) *
I used the same test methodology for both KIS 2012 & 2013.
And there is no protection just only after when the K icon appears.
I have KIS 2012 on a slower PC but this doesn't matter.
In fact it's more easy to test because it takes more time to be fully loaded.
If you don't believe me I can make a video and post it here.

Okay i think it's quite well established that some users experience this. Posting it 3, 4 or 7 times does not make it more right or wrong...................we believe that you (and certainly some others) see this.

Now could we move on to waiting for KL to release a fix instead moving around in circles with the same guys saying the same things already established, we get that this is an important issue to those who see it, but it won't happen sooner or later just because we repost the same again and again in hope of being noticed.

This kind of action would understandable if the issue was not recognized by KL, but it already is as high priority as KevM noted in his post. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Pista Bacsi
post 26.10.2012 14:35
Post #46

I don't want to argue and I don't want to act like a parrot.
The issue can be recognized by KL but because of lack of communication we aren't aware of it.
I may be blind but only by the post made by KevM on 24.10.2012 I know that KL knows about the issue.
And about my last post...
My only intention was to point it out that this is not a KIS 2013 specific issue.
Because of some posts, somebody might think that it's everything OK with KIS 2012
and he will return to the "old" KIS 2012 believing that is protected and waiting for the KIS 2013 fix.
This is my last post about this issue, case closed.
I had to make this post because I don't like what you said about me.

+Quote Post
Don Pelotas
post 26.10.2012 16:53
Post #47

Global Moderator

QUOTE(Pista Bacsi @ 26.10.2012 12:35) *
I don't want to argue and I don't want to act like a parrot.

....and yet you had to make yet another post and about the very same...again. wink.gif
I had to make this post because I don't like what you said about me.

Yes, sometimes the truth seems harsher when on paper, but it wasn't about your person as such.

The cold truth is that some see this.....so what you see as the "truth" is sometimes a more grey area with regards to severity. For example you have posted many many times about something which you see and then make the assumption it is seen by all using 2013 and now also 2012, it's not particularly helpful to rehash the same over & over with regards to solving anything and in the process making it seem like we're all at high risk ...some users are easy to scare. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
JohnH2O
post 27.10.2012 02:04
Post #48

Advanced Member II

The edit time has expired. I have to create a new post:

To the point of this topic: I have participated in such a discussion before I joined KL (KAV> KIS and now PURE). To avoid any possibility for an attack, for years I have been doing what KevM says in post #16:

> Before I shut down my computer, I disable the network connection.
> After powering up, I wait for the K icon before I enable the network connection.

With these procedures, this discussion is “theoretical”.

+Quote Post
palotim
post 28.10.2012 22:01
Post #49

Advanced Member I

QUOTE(palotim @ 18.10.2012 15:11) *
Most of the time the "K" icon appears 5 minutes after boot and login, but sometimes it just doesn't show up at all.

Here is some more information, on what happens every day on my computer :
When I switch ON my computer, the "K" icon never appears, even if I wait several hours.
Then, if I reboot the computer, the "K" icon appears quickly (a few minutes).
Every day it's the same : no icon at first boot of the day, then reboot, then icon appears.

Maybe it means the "out of date signatures" prevent the icon from appearing ?
So, after 10 minutes (to be sure the update is done) I can reboot, and get the icon.

(I have also sent this to Kaspersky's support)

+Quote Post
kromosto
post 28.10.2012 22:07
Post #50

Advanced Member I

QUOTE(palotim @ 28.10.2012 21:01) *
Here is some more information, on what happens every day on my computer :
When I switch ON my computer, the "K" icon never appears, even if I wait several hours.
Every day it's the same : no icon at first boot of the day, then reboot, then icon appears.

Maybe it means the "out of date signatures" prevent the icon from appearing ?
So, after 10 minutes (to be sure the update is done) I can reboot, and get the icon.

(I have also sent this to Kaspersky's support)

you have totally a different situation. strange !!!

+Quote Post
TechnoWolf
post 14.11.2012 17:44
Post #51

Glad I found this thread. Having same general issues. Running Win 7 x64 on my desktop and noticed something interesting. My "K" icon with 2012 took around 10 seconds to appear. In 2013 it's taking a minute or two. Thanks to a brief ISP outage during a system restart, I noticed that in kis 2013 with no net connection, the "K" icon came up in about 15 seconds. Could the core or a good part of the issue be dns handling? On my second computer, a newer notebook, I've recently nuked the drive with dban and reformatted/reinstalled Win 7 x64, fully updated with ms updates, installed kis 2013 and it made the entire system suddenly run and restart like molasses in Janurary, not to mention the "K" icon took 2-3 minutes to appear. It was to the point that taskbar icons and desktop icons took over 50 seconds to fill in. The notebook is normally blazing fast, and ran quick on kis 2012. Not to add more of the same to this thread, but the point is that at least on the notebook, it was a factory-clean win 7 install (even cleaner actually as I don't install the bloatware).

+Quote Post
scottls
post 15.11.2012 09:25
Post #52

Advanced Member I

QUOTE(TechnoWolf @ 14.11.2012 06:44) *
Glad I found this thread. Having same general issues. Running Win 7 x64 on my desktop and noticed something interesting. My "K" icon with 2012 took around 10 seconds to appear. In 2013 it's taking a minute or two. Thanks to a brief ISP outage during a system restart, I noticed that in kis 2013 with no net connection, the "K" icon came up in about 15 seconds. Could the core or a good part of the issue be dns handling? On my second computer, a newer notebook, I've recently nuked the drive with dban and reformatted/reinstalled Win 7 x64, fully updated with ms updates, installed kis 2013 and it made the entire system suddenly run and restart like molasses in Janurary, not to mention the "K" icon took 2-3 minutes to appear. It was to the point that taskbar icons and desktop icons took over 50 seconds to fill in. The notebook is normally blazing fast, and ran quick on kis 2012. Not to add more of the same to this thread, but the point is that at least on the notebook, it was a factory-clean win 7 install (even cleaner actually as I don't install the bloatware).

My KIS2013 slow-down issues, Solved (Maybe you'll see your issue fix, somewhere in here...?)-

I made the mistake of activating KIS Trial, with my paid key code!
It never would manually update to the latest version...!?
Also KIS Files were Badly fragmented/locked (even though I did a defrag just prior to install?)- never would become "contiguous" during defrag (even after using the bypass... procedure, from another Post( would just defrag))!?
I finally did a complete uninstall (KIS tool), defrag/reinstall/Manual Update/Reboot/Imported old settings/reboot, and it's running Fast (after doing below...).

How I defrag- I Disable KIS Until Restart (I'm protected by a Router with a Firewall!- Win/KIS firewalls are Off!), wait 20min from 2nd no-activity reboot, run my 3d party defrag (slow/thorough, quickly defrags MFT/Sys Every boot, defrags Hidden & Index...- a learning curve!), wait 20min/reboot.
Now My KIS taskbar icon shows 8sec after startup, and I wait for 4min after White Flag before doing anything (see more below).
~~~~~~~~~~

BTW- KIS doesn't do it's first auto-update, until 15min after cold startup (best!)- I do No-activity (I don't even move the cursor),
I then wait 2 more min ( a digital kitchen timer is a Must)/reboot, Before doing Anything (web..., is Much faster! (Same with my old AV)).
I also tried manually setting KIS to update 12min after startup, but it would only update Once Daily (instead of auto every 2hrs...).

--------------------
Win 7 Pro x86 (desktop), i5-2500 CPU@3.67ghz, 4gig RAM, WD Raptor SATA6/ 10k rpm/ Hard Drive (WOW!).
KIS2014 (laptop Win7 Pro x64)/ KIS2014 (desktop), and no other active anti-malware. Sandboxie Pro.
On demand- MBAM (no Pro/Context!), Emsisoft Emergency Kit., MBAM Anti-Rootkit!

+Quote Post
Just Wondering
post 15.11.2012 19:59
Post #53

Advanced Member I

QUOTE(JohnH2O @ 27.10.2012 01:04) *
With these procedures, this discussion is “theoretical”.

Hi
If I understand the context of this thread correctly (that the potential for attack exists prior to the K icon appearing in red, as is evidenced in some posts'), I wonder if it just theoretical.

I too disable the internet connection (by disabling/enabling local area connection, in the network and sharing Center) prior to shutdown and only re-enable after startup (with red K). However, two vulnerabilities may still exist for users' of our method:

First, our method is a software disconnection, which presumably has the potential to be controlled by malware, un-beknown to the user . Presumably, a hard wired disconnecting switch would be more secure, as used by a previous poster who switches off their router to disconnect (sorry, couln't find the poster or #); however, my router doesn't have a switch so I rely on this software method (I don't want to keep un-plugging the ethernet cable or turning the router on/off at the mains - could do of course).

Second, what about when e.g. Windows shutsdown and re-starts during some updates requiring re-start. As far as I know, windows needs to be connected to finish off the update procedure. I disconnected once prior to shutdown (when it asks if you want to re-start now or later) and when re-started came back as an update failure (but which completed successfully when left connected). Therefore, the computer is internet enabled/connected during the windows update re-start process. Therefore, the machine could be vulnerable prior to the red K appearing, could it not?

This post has been edited by Just Wondering: 15.11.2012 20:07

+Quote Post
KevM
post 15.11.2012 21:21
Post #54

Technically, probably. You would have to be pretty unlucky to have something attack your computer during an update like that.
I suppose if there were some kind of malware that Kaspersky missed that only ran on start up it could execute before Kaspersky had a chance to stop it. It really is not an ideal situation we have with the delayed start up and manually connecting to the network but until Kaspersky decide to fix the problem we don't have much choice.

+Quote Post
scottls
post 16.11.2012 08:44
Post #55

Advanced Member I

QUOTE(Just Wondering @ 15.11.2012 08:59) *
I too disable the internet connection (by disabling/enabling local area connection, in the network and sharing Center) prior to shutdown and only re-enable after startup (with red K).

While installing XP on a clients computer with No Router, it was quickly infected by the Blaster Worm!
I took his computer home, and did a complete reinstall behind my Router (built-in Hardware Firewall), and no-infection!

Bottom line for me- I don't worry about the delayed K start (4sec, after last defrag), as long as I'm protected behind a Router!-
Protection with a Router

This post has been edited by scottls: 16.11.2012 08:58

--------------------
Win 7 Pro x86 (desktop), i5-2500 CPU@3.67ghz, 4gig RAM, WD Raptor SATA6/ 10k rpm/ Hard Drive (WOW!).
KIS2014 (laptop Win7 Pro x64)/ KIS2014 (desktop), and no other active anti-malware. Sandboxie Pro.
On demand- MBAM (no Pro/Context!), Emsisoft Emergency Kit., MBAM Anti-Rootkit!

+Quote Post
Naaz
post 16.11.2012 09:09
Post #56

Advanced Member I

Plz fix this issue waiting for long time rolleyes.gif Thank"Q"

+Quote Post
palotim
post 16.11.2012 17:10
Post #57

Advanced Member I

QUOTE(palotim @ 28.10.2012 20:01) *
Here is what happens every day on my computer :

I now have patch C installed, it solved the problem described above.

Each year I upgrade to a new version of KIS in october, because it's the date when my license finishes.
But KIS is never stable at that date, most of the time it starts working around november or december, after a few patches.
How do you guys deal with that ?

Maybe I should keep KIS without license from october to december (protection would work, but without updates ?).
I would have to do this once, then each year I would upgrade when KIS is stable.

This post has been edited by palotim: 16.11.2012 17:12

+Quote Post
CurtisBne
post 5.12.2012 07:37
Post #58

Just wondering -- has the "no protection until K icon appears" bug been fixed? I've been using another AV in the meantime.

This post has been edited by richbuff: 28.12.2012 03:50
Reason for edit: This non-current topic is closed. Please continue at the current topic, here: http://forum.kaspersky.com/index.php?showtopic=251937

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3
Closed TopicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30.07.2014 11:02