Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> How to interpret the GSI report, ... and screen resolution
JohnH2O
post 30.04.2012 11:44
Post #1

Advanced Member II

Group: Members

The “face” of GSI is not nice when I run with the screen resolution recommended by the OS.
Attached File  GSI_Image_W7_XP.jpg ( 85.15K ) Number of downloads: 33

I have other programs showing up badly with this resolution (1920x1080). I have changed to 1280x720, and GSI looks nice. I love this utility, it gives me an interesting overview of my computer.

I have two questions:

1] The tab “Process/Services/Drivers:Processes & Modules”, I expand the entries for a program by clicking [+] at the start of the line. One dll file is marked with “->” (an arrow). What is the importance of the arrow? (The actual plug-in is listed as “unknown driver”. Is that the reason?)

2] Two applications are stated to be “Possibly incompatible softwares”. Non of the apps are started, they do not activate any driver at start-up. Could they possibly interfere with the KL product and cause problems for the security app?

Thanks in advance for enlightening me.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
richbuff
post 30.04.2012 12:06
Post #2

Oldtimer

Group: Moderators

2) GSI determines this solely on the name of the application.

Are they really incompatible? Who are "they"?

If GSI is happy with resolution that your other applications are happy with, then all good there. smile.gif

--------------------
Please see the Important topics, located at the top of this section, and at the top of other sections of this forum.

+Quote Post
JohnH2O
post 30.04.2012 12:41
Post #3

Advanced Member II

Group: Members

QUOTE(richbuff @ 30.04.2012 09:06) *
2) GSI determines this solely on the name of the application.

Thanks, richbuff, I understand. I just wanted to receive a confirmation whether my “logical thinking” is logical or not. Let us say, an app IS incompatible with PURE (in my case), but it is not started and NO DRIVERS are activated by the app. Could the incompatible app in any case do harm to PURE?

Well, it is indeed just a question of philosophic significance. I have not used the two apps for years, “they” are Steganos Security Suite and Registry Mechanic. Steganos interfered with my help file creator (to write CHM files). Due to this fact, I had to disable the app's driver at start-up. I only used the app 'on demand' for encrypting data files. Now I have this feature in PURE. smile.gif

When I observed these incompatible apps, the solution was simple. I just uninstalled them, none of them have been used for years.

+Quote Post
richbuff
post 30.04.2012 13:01
Post #4

Oldtimer

Group: Moderators

You're welcome.
Could the incompatible app in any case do harm to PURE?
It depends on what the other incompatible application is. And harm to your Kaspersky application is not the first thing that comes to mind. Harm to the functionality of your system is what comes to mind first when the issue of incompatible software comes up.

For example, someone, by mistake, installs two anti-virus applications. Even if one or both of the applications' drivers are not "running", the negative consequences can include instant systemic brickification.

For instance, please see quote taken from the installer bypass Tech Article, emphasis in the original.

QUOTE(support.kaspersky.com/kis2012/install?qid=208284360)
A new option has been added to Kaspersky Internet Security 2012 which allows skipping scan for incompatible software during the product installation.

This option is recommended ONLY if you are absolutely sure that the third-party software was deleted but is still detected by the Setup Wizard of Kaspersky Lab 2012 products. Otherwise after the program installation the operating system may malfunction and even crash.

This can apply even if drivers are not "running", especially if it is other anti-virus software. smile.gif

This post has been edited by richbuff: 30.04.2012 13:02

--------------------
Please see the Important topics, located at the top of this section, and at the top of other sections of this forum.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21.04.2014 01:05