IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> There is not enough disk space to copy required files, 278 Mb of free space are needed...
suncrafter
post 2.04.2012 01:12
Post #1

Group: Members

At first the Kaspersky Rescue Disk appeared to be working. First I rebooted my computer with the CD in the drive. In the Kaspersky Rescue environment I went to "My Update Center" and updated the virus database from Kaspersky. Next I went back to the "Objects Scan" window. It gave 5 or 6 checkboxes and I selected them all. Then I ran the scan. At about 35% it stopped suddenly. No error message, no report or anything - it just stopped. Since this was my first time using KRD I assumed this was normal. However I noticed that instead of 5 or 6 check boxes there were now only TWO: "Disk boot sectors" and "Hidden startup objects".
Now when I reboot, and the Kaspersky disk loads, it comes up with a "mounting disks" progress bar, then a warning saying "There is not enough disk space to copy required files - 278 Mb of free space are needed. The files will be stored in the memory." It then finishes the mounting disks process. But "Disk boot sectors" and "Hidden startup objects" are still the only check boxes available. If I click on "add" in the bottom left the folder structure shows only "file manager", "Kaspersky Registry Editor", "Kaspersky Rescue Disk" and "Web Browser". Adding these has no effect.
When I run the scan now - it is over very quick and never seems to get past 0%.

What does this warning mean?:
"There is not enough disk space to copy required files - 278 Mb of free space are needed. The files will be stored in the memory."

Is there a way to erase KRD and start over? If so - how?

It might help you to know why I'm using KRD in the first place...
It appears that I have a virus that is preventing BIOS from recognizing my hard drive. When I restart my computer I get the following message:
"CD-ROM Priority ..no medium
Reboot and select proper boot device
or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key"
Since I am able to start in safe-mode - I know that this is not a HD connection problem, but (most likely) a virus.
Under my advanced bios features my "1st boot device" is "[CD/DVD: PO-HL-DT-ST]" and my "2nd boot device" is "USB-: Generic - compa" (or something like that). There is no 3rd boot device NOR is there an option to select my Hard Drive. This is why I'm using Kaspersky Rescue Disk.

Could the virus that is preventing BIOS from recognizing my hard drive ALSO be preventing KRD from recognizing my hard drive?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
suncrafter
post 2.04.2012 23:44
Post #2

UPDATE:
After rebooting a few times KRD recognized my HD "C:" and I was able to get the KRD to run another scan. Unfortunately I got the following message:
"Databases are corrupted. The databases that the application uses to protect your computer are corrupted. It is recommended to use the latest version of Kaspersky rescue disk" then there is an "Update Now" button under it. When I hit the button - the update center pops up and reads:
"Databases Status: Corrupted
Databases release date: Unknown"
When I hit "Start Update" I get the following message:
"Malfunction <1minute ago, can not create folder"

dash1.gif

What do these messages meen? Corrupted by what?
Your advice would be greatly appreciated.

+Quote Post
ratz4
post 6.04.2012 22:21
Post #3

I was having the same issue with the update error, it seems to be a problem isolated to windows 7. The reason why I say this is because the rescue cd worked fine for my vista machine; I figured out the issue. The rescue cd saves it data files ( updates and logs) to the system reserved partition in windows 7 which is only 100 MB, the only way to fix it is if Kaspersky releases a windows 7 specific rescue cd which saves data to the second larger partition. Or the easier method would be to tell us which config file tells the program to save to which partition!!

+Quote Post
suncrafter
post 8.04.2012 08:47
Post #4

QUOTE(ratz4 @ 6.04.2012 21:21) *
I was having the same issue with the update error, it seems to be a problem isolated to windows 7. The reason why I say this is because the rescue cd worked fine for my vista machine; I figured out the issue. The rescue cd saves it data files ( updates and logs) to the system reserved partition in windows 7 which is only 100 MB, the only way to fix it is if Kaspersky releases a windows 7 specific rescue cd which saves data to the second larger partition. Or the easier method would be to tell us which config file tells the program to save to which partition!!

I have Vista. So what is wrong with my computer is not windows 7's fault. I have extreamly corrupted files. My computer-savey brother-in-law is helping me, but my computer might be hopeless. post-7989-1194626071.gif

+Quote Post
suncrafter
post 15.04.2012 09:55
Post #5

In the unlikely event that someone else has a similar problem as mine and wants to know what eventually happened in my case...

It appears that my computer suffered the equivalent of a severe stroke. A whole section of the hard drive died. That is why Kaspersky did not work and why I got the following message:
"There is not enough disk space to copy required files - 278 Mb of free space are needed. The files will be stored in the memory."
The "stroke" was not caused by a virus - it is just one of those bad things that happens to good computers for no reason. I must now buy a new Hard Drive. sad.gif
The End

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30.10.2014 19:54