Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Password Manager causes avp.exe not responding
epsilons
post 16.10.2011 03:08
Post #1

Group: Members

Hi everyone,

I'm new to Kaspersky; just moved over from big-M.

Was not really sure whether to post this question here or in Password Manager forum.

I installed K.PURE just over a week ago and mostly seems to be working well. A couple of days ago, I activated Password Manager, with IE, Chrome and Firefox plug-ins. I also did the update for Firefox 7 compatibility and PM seemed to be working well too. But after this, when I shutdown, I almost always got avp.exe not responding error and sometimes also TrueImageMonitor.exe (an Acronis process) not responding and had to terminate both.

Since, the timing of the problem was so clearly coincidental with the activation of PM, I decided today to disable PM again. Since (strangely) PM seems to have no enable/disable function in the PURE settings, I flagged Stpass.exe as untrusted to prevent it loading. After a reboot to clear the running version of Stpass, my next shutdown was fine and several shutdown/restart cycles have since passed off without any problem.

So it seems that running of Stpass.exe is causing 'not responding' conditions to occur, particularly in avp.exe, when shutting down.

Anyone else seeing this problem? Anyone know of an easy solution? If there is no simple solution then I'll just go back to using the Firefox Password Manager, as I was doing before, and leave Stpass.exe blocked.

I'm running XP Pro SP3 on an 8-core 3GHz Skulltrail machine, about 3 years old, 4GB memory (not all used, of course). PURE v. 9.1.0.124 (a.b).

Thanks,
e.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
richbuff
post 16.10.2011 04:43
Post #2

Are You Kidding?

Group: Global moderators

Welcome. 1. Click here to download the GetSystemInfo tool
2. Unzip, run getsysteminfo.exe. Choose where you wish to save the text file, the desktop is the easy choice.
3. Click here to upload your GetSystemInfo log.
4. Now add the link to the report you have just made in your post.

--------------------
Please see the Important topics, located at the top of this section, and at the top of other sections of this forum.

+Quote Post
epsilons
post 16.10.2011 12:25
Post #3

QUOTE(richbuff @ 16.10.2011 01:43) *
Welcome. 1. Click here to download the GetSystemInfo tool
2. Unzip, run getsysteminfo.exe. Choose where you wish to save the text file, the desktop is the easy choice.
3. Click here to upload your GetSystemInfo log.
4. Now add the link to the report you have just made in your post.

Hi richbuff

Thanks for prompt response.

Did as instructed (although in step 2, the download was already an exe not a zip)

url is http://www.getsysteminfo.com/read.php?file...ff53429ea920b37

The log was created with Stpass.exe still blocked. Is that what you wanted or do I need to create one with Stpass.exe running?

Regards,
e.

+Quote Post
richbuff
post 16.10.2011 13:08
Post #4

Are You Kidding?

You're welcome. Go ahead and create another one with it running.

Maybe unrelated: You have this error in your Event Viewer coming up repeatedly:
IRQARB: ACPI BIOS does not contain an IRQ for the device in PCI slot 15, function 0. Please contact your system vendor for technical assistance.

Please see: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/930062 and check Device Manager for any trouble, and check with your manufacturer for bios and other updates.

--------------------
Please see the Important topics, located at the top of this section, and at the top of other sections of this forum.

+Quote Post
epsilons
post 16.10.2011 19:44
Post #5

QUOTE(richbuff @ 16.10.2011 10:08) *
You're welcome. Go ahead and create another one with it running.

Maybe unrelated: You have this error in your Event Viewer coming up repeatedly:

Please see: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/930062 and check Device Manager for any trouble, and check with your manufacturer for bios and other updates.

Hello again,

Some further news on the avp.exe not responding problem. I may have narrowed it down slightly more. It seems like it's related not just to whether Stpass.exe is running but whether the PM database has been unlocked.

You'll recall that the problem disappeared when I blocked Stpass.exe.

I re-enabled it and re-started my system several times but, on each occasion, I entered the PM password. Every time, the system closed down again without any problem.

I then tried cancelling out of PM without entering the password. As soon as I closed down this time, avp.exe came up as not responding. Several re-cycles produced the error every time.

I then tried entering the password again for several re-starts and the error messages disappeared.

So the trigger seems to be shutting down (or perhaps logging out - I've not tried that) without unlocking the PM database. I don't know if the problem would occur if I left the PC and allowed the database to time out and re-lock itself - another thing I've not tried.

I created another getsysteminfo file, with Stpass.exe running. This was done during the period when I was leaving the PM database locked (i.e. when the error was occurring).
The url is http://www.getsysteminfo.com/read.php?file...8dec498d71160ed

As for the other things you mentioned, I'll take a look at them when I have a suitable quantity of spare time but I'm no expert so I may just be a bit out of my depth. May need to do a bit of reading-up on things first.

Anyway thanks for the suggestions and I hope the additional info is useful.

Regards,
e.

+Quote Post
richbuff
post 17.10.2011 01:11
Post #6

Are You Kidding?

You're welcome.
I then tried cancelling out of PM without entering the password. As soon as I closed down this time, avp.exe came up as not responding. Several re-cycles produced the error every time.
Please notify Tech Support of your findings: https://my.kaspersky.com/en/support/helpdesk

--------------------

+Quote Post
epsilons
post 17.10.2011 02:17
Post #7

QUOTE(richbuff @ 16.10.2011 22:11) *
You're welcome. Please notify Tech Support of your findings: https://my.kaspersky.com/en/support/helpdesk

OK, will do.

e.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21.11.2014 21:42