Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Windows Defender
13x
post 2.08.2011 19:51
Post #1

Advanced Member II

Group: Members

Hi,

is KIS 2012 compatible with Windows Defender? Is there any problem with having both running, or should I stop Windows Defender? If I should, how can I do that? I searched inside Windows Defender's options and I did not find any option to turn it off. :c

Thanks. Regards.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ballistic
post 2.08.2011 19:58
Post #2

Advanced Member II

Hi,

Definitely turn Windows Defender off.

Computer>C:>Program Files>Windows Defender>>MSASCui>Tools>Options>Uncheck Real-time protection and Automatic Scanning.

Reboot

This post has been edited by Ballistic: 2.08.2011 19:59

--------------------
Win7 SP1 Home Premium x86, IE9, FF17, KIS 2013 13.0.1.4190 (e), Intel Duo-core with 3GB RAM

+Quote Post
13x
post 2.08.2011 20:08
Post #3

Advanced Member II

I definitely should have searched before opening this thread. :c My bad.

Thank you but instead I followed what written here: http://forum.kaspersky.com/index.php?showt...indows+defender, basically: "Deselect the Use Windows Defender box and press the Save button.". This is ok too, correct?

Also, I won't be less protected, will I?

+Quote Post
Ballistic
post 2.08.2011 20:15
Post #4

Advanced Member II

QUOTE(13x @ 2.08.2011 12:08) *
This is ok too, correct?

Also, I won't be less protected, will I?

Same results. Both disable Windows Defender.

Also, I believe running Windows Defender at the same time as Kaspersky gives less protection. Similar programs using the same resources causes conflicts between the two.

--------------------
Win7 SP1 Home Premium x86, IE9, FF17, KIS 2013 13.0.1.4190 (e), Intel Duo-core with 3GB RAM

+Quote Post
13x
post 2.08.2011 20:18
Post #5

Advanced Member II

QUOTE(Ballistic @ 2.08.2011 17:15) *
Same results. Both disable Windows Defender.

Also, I believe running Windows Defender at the same time as Kaspersky gives less protection. Similar programs using the same resources causes conflicts between the two.

I actually have never had problems in having both running, but I disabled it. If anyone (mod/user) thinks Windows Defender and KIS work fine together (I actually doubt it, the first thing one learns is "two or more AVs running at the same time conflict"), please tell me.

+Quote Post
JohnLuke300
post 2.08.2011 22:06
Post #6

QUOTE(13x @ 2.08.2011 17:18) *
I actually have never had problems in having both running, but I disabled it. If anyone (mod/user) thinks Windows Defender and KIS work fine together (I actually doubt it, the first thing one learns is "two or more AVs running at the same time conflict"), please tell me.

I use Windows Defender with KIS and have been doing so for 2 1/2 years without any issues. I have read many books and articles from respected security analysts that have commented on whether you should run 2 or more AV/Spyware/Malware scanners on a PC. The reaction is always mixed, some say it offers extra layers of protection, others say they can cause conflicts or reduce system performance so much the benefits are outweighed by the cost. If you look at Windows defender it has 2 main scanning components a real time component and an on demand scan component. The real time component (often referred to as pro-active scanning) constantly scans the behaviour of unrecognised processes and tries to intercept any potentially dangerous interactions with the system or other processes and files. KIS also has this component. This is where problems theoretically could manifest as both are trying to do the same function. The other component is on demand scanning (also called re-active scanning) which is a scan of the files in memory and on any system drives using primarily a signature or checksum of the file and comparing that with a database of known virus, malware, spyware, etc. The only issues with reactive scanning is that if both software try to scan the same drive at the same time this will greatly reduce system speed and increase scanning times. On the other hand if you were to only run Windows Defender occasionally and temporarily suspend KIS on demand scanning (scheduled scans are also on demand scans) there should be no conflicts or reduction in system performance. So my recommendation is to disable real-time scanning (in the options) of Windows Defender and make sure there are no scheduled scans set. As an afterthought about Kaspersky's policy regarding Windows Defender. It is easy for them to deactivate Windows Defender (many other security suites do) on install yet the do not. Also in my experience of installing Kaspersy, it usually kicks up a fuss when it detects any security related software on my system and yet it ignores Windows Defender even though Kaspersky knows it is enabled by default on Vista and Win 7 systems. So I hope that helps, or maybe it muddies the water a little bit more. b_lol1.gif

+Quote Post
antikythera
post 3.08.2011 00:19
Post #7

ICT Consultant

Group: Gold beta testers

my educated response is to always disable windows defender. it does conflict if left on in default configuration.

for example, one stability issue due to running both is that scans run in KAV/KIS can lock up and not complete when defender is enabled. i have seen this posted many times on here and managed to recreate it myself while experimenting with different setups.

disabling realtime protection in defender may help but then it may as well be turned off completely because it really isn't that great at detecting malware anyhow. in its place as an on demand scanner i recommend the free version of malwarebytes antimalware for a second opinion scanner if you feel the need for one.

apart from that CPU and memory usage increase due to both applications trying to check the same files at once. it really isn't worth the hassle of leaving defender enabled.

This post has been edited by antikythera: 3.08.2011 00:22

--------------------
Nothing to see here, move along!

+Quote Post
Berny
post 3.08.2011 00:44
Post #8

Forum Elite

Group: Moderators

QUOTE(13x @ 2.08.2011 17:51) *
how can I do that?

Hello,

Launch "msconfig" and disable WD in Start-up and Services.

+Quote Post
JohnLuke300
post 3.08.2011 01:30
Post #9

QUOTE(antikythera @ 2.08.2011 21:19) *
my educated response is to always disable windows defender. it does conflict if left on in default configuration.

for example, one stability issue due to running both is that scans run in KAV/KIS can lock up and not complete when defender is enabled. i have seen this posted many times on here and managed to recreate it myself while experimenting with different setups.

disabling realtime protection in defender may help but then it may as well be turned off completely because it really isn't that great at detecting malware anyhow. in its place as an on demand scanner i recommend the free version of malwarebytes antimalware for a second opinion scanner if you feel the need for one.

apart from that CPU and memory usage increase due to both applications trying to check the same files at once. it really isn't worth the hassle of leaving defender enabled.

I would agree that the real time scanning component of KIS is far more sophisticated and effective than Windows Defender. I also agree that Malwarebytes' offering is superior at malware (particularly trojan) detection than Windows Defender. Microsoft bought the source engine of Windows Defender in 2004, from Giant Software Company. It was then known as Giant Anti-Spyware and is a Spyware scanner not a virus or malware scanner. Which is why Windows Security Centre recommends the installation of anti-virus software even when Windows Defender is enabled. My personal experience with using both software (even with Windows Defenders Real Time protection enabled) as not revealed any conflict or system issues (so far!). No two PC systems are exactly the same so I accept that others might have issues with running both. On the other hand, in the 2 1/2 years that I have used both together Windows Defender only identified and blocked one potential threat. And then I am not entirely sure that the threat was that serious. IMO KIS is a very effective security solution and Windows Defender a good Anti-Spyware product. Does anyone really need to run another scanner along side KIS? Well ultimately I think that depends on how paranoid they are! b_lol1.gif

+Quote Post
13x
post 3.08.2011 20:51
Post #10

Advanced Member II

I must say that after disabling windows defender Kaspersky is launching really faster at the startup... before it took like 1 minute to start, but now it starts right when I turn my computer on. tongue.gif

+Quote Post
chrishelps
post 4.08.2011 00:07
Post #11

QUOTE(Berny @ 2.08.2011 13:44) *
Hello,

Launch "msconfig" and disable WD in Start-up and Services.

1) I don't see Defender in either Startup or Services. Perhaps it was removed when I edited the Defender settings?

2) I notice Windows Firewall is enabled in Services. Should I disable this?

Thanks,
Chris

+Quote Post
rudger79
post 4.08.2011 01:34
Post #12

Forum Elite

Group: Gold beta testers

Start > In the box, type "Services.msc" without the " ". Scroll down to Windows Firewall Service and Windows Defender Service and double click and change the start up type to disabled for both.

--------------------
2015 Beta Test Machine specs: Windows 7 Pro x64 SP1, Real Machine (laptop), 4GB Ram No OEM stuff. My GSI Report Link

________________________________________________________________________________
1.Laptop -
Windows 7 Pro SP 1 x64 4gb - FF latest -
KIS 2015 Beta
2.Desktop -
Windows 7 Pro SP 1 x86 4gb - FF latest - KIS 2014

My Kaspersky Account Kaspersky Support Ticket Request to Kaspersky Virus Lab Link to GSI Report Instructions Kaspersky Latest Product Versions

+Quote Post
King Grub
post 4.08.2011 16:50
Post #13

Kaspersky Fan I

There should be no need to disable the Windows Firewall service. All this will accomplish is to prevent Windows Firewall to enable itself if and when Kaspersky is uninstalled or crashes. Having the firewall services and the firewall itself disabled is both possible and preferred.

+Quote Post
Whizard
post 4.08.2011 21:38
Post #14

Professional

Group: Moderators

Not many people know there is a separate switch and take the hard approach.

This post has been edited by Whizard: 4.08.2011 21:40

--------------------
Networking and Security Guru
~^Whizard^~

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23.07.2014 20:15