IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Closed TopicStart new topic
> textsrv.com browser hijack
Jerzei Belowski
post 15.07.2011 23:19
Post #1

Group: Members

I'm running Firefox 5 and I've noticed the browser is hijacked, insuch that it is displaying hyperlinked keywords that lead to advertising sites. The url for those hyperlinks all begin with www. textsrv.com (no space obviously and no e in serv) which leads to a blank webpage when pasted into the address bar on it's own.

I have used all normal processes and have now isolated the virus but cannot remove it, primarily because it is not appearing on any av/am scans. even when run from the boot menu with Kasperky recovery amongst others..
I have found that the virus is in the Firefox extension Shockwave Flash (Flash Player) Disabling the extension removes the hyperlinked text, but is not a long term solution as it's not removing the virus and of course video players won't work without the extension. Uninstalling Flash player and reinstalling doesn't remove the problem either.

I have only found one other reference to this virus and that is a recent enquiry on this forum, so I assume this is something new. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

This post has been edited by Jerzei Belowski: 15.07.2011 23:24
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
richbuff
post 16.07.2011 03:30
Post #2

Oldtimer

Group: Moderators

Welcome. Instructions for logs are located in the first Important topic.

--------------------
Please see the Important topics, located at the top of this section, and at the top of other sections of this forum.

+Quote Post
Jerzei Belowski
post 16.07.2011 03:56
Post #3

Yaaaawn. I'll just wait for the fix.

+Quote Post
tyme4a
post 16.07.2011 13:02
Post #4

I had same issue. The problem seemed to be a program on my pc called socialsay. Don't know how it got there, but I deleted it and all seems fine now.

+Quote Post

Closed TopicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25.04.2014 09:28