IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Activation code is invalid for this region
jfh!
post 6.06.2011 15:37
Post #1

Group: Members

I bought Kaspersky Internet Security in the UK from an accredited source. I live in the UK and I am trying to activate the product in the UK (Cornwall). However as my Internet Service provision is via Satellite (Tooway) and apparently the base station is situated in Italy, on trying to activate, Kaspersky complains with the message "Activation code is invalid for this region".

No doubt 'richbuff' will be along shortly to advise that this issue is not 'forum resolveable'! That's all very well but I have been unable to contact Technical Support since in order to do so I need to create an account which does not appear to be working!

This whole draconian restriction issue has become a complete shambles. And in some cases, such as this, illegal. i.e. under the terms of the single European market a product bought in the UK should also work anywhere in European including the UK and Italy!

In any case the extra hassle involved involved to trying to get a legitimately purchased product to work in the country it was purchased in is completely beyond believe. I would advise other to consider AV solutions from other manufacturers.

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
antikythera
post 6.06.2011 16:13
Post #2

ICT Consultant

Group: Gold beta testers

if you can't create a support account

Telephone (s):

0871 789 1635 from UK mainland only

0818 333 516 if calling from Ireland

Support hours:

Monday to Friday, 9am-5:30pm.

Calls to this number cost 10p/11c(euro) per minute from a BT landline; charges may vary from other network providers. Call charges from mobile network providers will be significantly higher.

--------------------
Nothing to see here, move along!

+Quote Post
jfh!
post 9.06.2011 13:26
Post #3

Group: Members

Thanks. I eventually managed to create a support account - glitch with their server I assume!

So far the support has not been particularly helpful: The support tech said he had not seen an attempt to connect to the activation server for my activation code. This just confirms my haunch that KIS is attempting to connect to a different activation sever other than the UK one because it 'thinks' it is located in Italy!

There are two issues here:

1. Kaspersky's policies are preventing a product sold in the UK for use in the UK market from being used in the UK

2. Kaspersky's policies would preventy a product bought in the UK from being used in another European country.

AFAIK both are illegal under European consumer law!

Doe anyone know how KIS determines which activation server it should connect to?

+Quote Post
antikythera
post 9.06.2011 16:49
Post #4

ICT Consultant

Group: Gold beta testers

I assume you live in a remote area of cornwall hence the satellite internet. do you have any friends or relatives elsewhere in the UK on normal cable or ADSL you could take the machine to for activation purposes? I know it would probably be a bit of a bind but if you are going to visit them anyhow might be worth a try if they are willing to let you borrow their connection. Once activated it would download all updates and behave normally via the satellite link's servers in Italy.

--------------------
Nothing to see here, move along!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25.07.2014 01:38