IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> My Virus scans takes a long time to complete!, Kaspersky 2011
Daz67
post 18.01.2011 04:28
Post #1

Group: Members

Hello , I am new to this forum and pretty new to everything really. My problem is, that when my computer runs Kaspersky Internet 2011 Virus scan, it seems to hang everytime. It runs so slowly, it says it will take about 9 days to complete. In addition to that, the update of Virus definitions seems to also take hours to complete.
This is very disheartening.
Anyway here is the link to my GSI report: http://www.getsysteminfo.com/read.php?file...c1efa7f2e29d969

If you can help in any way, it would be greatly appreciated!

P.S. I ususally don't even let it finish the scan most of the time, as I usually need to use the computer after a couple of days. When I try to cancel the scan, it usually takes about 5-10 minutes to finally stop!

Help!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
richbuff
post 18.01.2011 06:18
Post #2

Oldtimer

Group: Moderators

Welcome. You have a lot of gigabytes of stuff. Please free up a larger percentage of free space on system partition C:\, 5% is sort of small. Try with 10% free space and a defrag.

Try with scan settings as shown in post #2 of this: http://forum.kaspersky.com/index.php?s=&am...st&p=846194

The screenshots are from 2009, but the same settings are located in version 2011 scan settings, too.

Possible malware shows up in your gsi report. Please attach the zipped virusinfo_syscure.zip; instructions, see: http://forum.kaspersky.com/index.php?s=&am...st&p=678334

--------------------
Please see the Important topics, located at the top of this section, and at the top of other sections of this forum.

+Quote Post
askeric dotcom
post 21.03.2011 20:18
Post #3

QUOTE(Daz67 @ 18.01.2011 03:28) *
Hello , I am new to this forum and pretty new to everything really. My problem is, that when my computer runs Kaspersky Internet 2011 Virus scan, it seems to hang everytime. It runs so slowly, it says it will take about 9 days to complete. In addition to that, the update of Virus definitions seems to also take hours to complete.
This is very disheartening.
Anyway here is the link to my GSI report: http://www.getsysteminfo.com/read.php?file...c1efa7f2e29d969

If you can help in any way, it would be greatly appreciated!

P.S. I ususally don't even let it finish the scan most of the time, as I usually need to use the computer after a couple of days. When I try to cancel the scan, it usually takes about 5-10 minutes to finally stop!

Help!

Hi ..

Likewise ...

I have just bought AV 2011, (3 license version) on recommendation - also after trialling the free version.
I have installed it on two machines so far - a Compaq laptop Win7) and my desktop computer (Win XP) at my office, both of which were running AVG 2011 quite sucessfully, and with minimal scan times.

The GOOD news is KS found three trojan downloaders on the laptop ... but ... (which the "other" AV software didnt find ....

The BAD news is that scans are taking forever (8 hours plus) on BOTH machines.

Both machines have ample operating specification, plenty of RAM installed, plenty of HDD space, and no junk installed either !!

When Kaspersky installed - it removed all conflicting products.

I also have another HP laptop (win xp) which I will install AV2011 on (the 3rd license) - and we'll see how long that takes to scan??

Any suggestions - as both machines are what I would call "clean machines" that is they ONLY have reputable software installed which Ive bought (like MS office, Sage accounts, Cubase, Serif web builder etc etc ) - and cant both be "wrong?"

Regards

Askeric dotcom

+Quote Post
rudger79
post 21.03.2011 20:25
Post #4

Forum Elite

Group: Gold beta testers

QUOTE(askeric dotcom @ 21.03.2011 08:18) *
Hi ..
Welcome.
Please post a GSI for all the various PC's. http://forum.kaspersky.com/index.php?showtopic=915

--------------------
2015 Beta Test Machine specs: Windows 7 Pro x64 SP1, Real Machine (laptop), 4GB Ram No OEM stuff. My GSI Report Link

________________________________________________________________________________
1.Laptop -
Windows 7 Pro SP 1 x64 4gb - FF latest -
KIS 2015 Beta
2.Desktop -
Windows 7 Pro SP 1 x86 4gb - FF latest - KIS 2014

My Kaspersky Account Kaspersky Support Ticket Request to Kaspersky Virus Lab Link to GSI Report Instructions Kaspersky Latest Product Versions

+Quote Post
askeric dotcom
post 21.03.2011 21:54
Post #5

QUOTE(rudger79 @ 21.03.2011 19:25) *
Welcome.
Please post a GSI for all the various PC's. http://forum.kaspersky.com/index.php?showtopic=915

Hi there

Thanks for your help ..... I take it that a "GSI" is a get systems info report? - and what exactly does this tell you??
Is this going to show incompatible products?? as kaspersky indicated that these had been removed during install?
I'm reluctant to start changing anything on this machine as it is used for critical tasks such as running sage accounts and processing direct debits (we are a direct debit originator)

The machine I'm using at the moment to post this is my work desktop machine which should be "clean" ( and its in our data centre behind fairly extensive fire walling etc) - and As I say - ran perfectly well with AVG 2011 and Malware bytes (and sygate personal firewall )

My problem with all this is:
The Day job is running an internet service provider business, (from our purpose built data centre) and as such have used, or have seen being used, most of the popular AV / internet security products - on the many machines / customer machines we have .

Whilst Kaspersky, to be fair, has removed 3 viruses which the "other" AV product didnt spot ... - and ... it isn't really a big deal for me to delve into to running GSI reports etc (on all THREE machines???) (being fairly IT literate .- nay fairly experienced id say ... having been in the business 40 years... Id have to say this is the first time Ive experienced this sort of problem with scans taking so long. ... and the forums do seem to show that this problem of long scan times is common

And the REAL problem is I cant risk recommending it to customers if they are going to be expected to start running GSI reports etc. - all this would mean is just more hassle for me!!

So is this a common problem with long scan times?

Regards

askeric dotcom

+Quote Post
askeric dotcom
post 21.03.2011 21:55
Post #6

QUOTE(rudger79 @ 21.03.2011 19:25) *
Welcome.

Hi there

Thanks for your help ..... I take it that a "GSI" is a get systems info report? - and what exactly does this tell you??
Is this going to show incompatible products?? as kaspersky indicated that these had been removed during install?
I'm reluctant to start changing anything on this machine as it is used for critical tasks such as running sage accounts and processing direct debits (we are a direct debit originator)

The machine I'm using at the moment to post this is my work desktop machine which should be "clean" ( and its in our data centre behind fairly extensive fire walling etc) - and As I say - ran perfectly well with AVG 2011 and Malware bytes (and sygate personal firewall )

My problem with all this is:
The Day job is running an internet service provider business, (from our purpose built data centre) and as such have used, or have seen being used, most of the popular AV / internet security products - on the many machines / customer machines we have .

Whilst Kaspersky, to be fair, has removed 3 viruses which the "other" AV product didnt spot ... - and ... it isn't really a big deal for me to delve into to running GSI reports etc (on all THREE machines???) (being fairly IT literate .- nay fairly experienced id say ... having been in the business 40 years... Id have to say this is the first time Ive experienced this sort of problem with scans taking so long. ... and the forums do seem to show that this problem of long scan times is common

And the REAL problem is I cant risk recommending it to customers if they are going to be expected to start running GSI reports etc. - all this would mean is just more hassle for me!!

So is this a common problem with long scan times?

Regards

askeric dotcom

+Quote Post
Perry
post 21.03.2011 22:19
Post #7

Advanced Member III

Hi

My full scan takes about 75mins.

On a Sony Vaio W7 320gb

--------------------

+Quote Post
rudger79
post 21.03.2011 22:23
Post #8

Forum Elite

Group: Gold beta testers

QUOTE(askeric dotcom @ 21.03.2011 09:55) *
and what exactly does this tell you??
It will give a insight to system configuration, possible program conflicts, remains of previous AV's (if any), what version of KL product you are running, just to name a few.
If you want help here on the forum, it (they) will be needed. smile.gif

Of course, you can also contact tech support if you do not wish to post the GSI. Please see the link in my signature for support ticket.

--------------------
2015 Beta Test Machine specs: Windows 7 Pro x64 SP1, Real Machine (laptop), 4GB Ram No OEM stuff. My GSI Report Link

________________________________________________________________________________
1.Laptop -
Windows 7 Pro SP 1 x64 4gb - FF latest -
KIS 2015 Beta
2.Desktop -
Windows 7 Pro SP 1 x86 4gb - FF latest - KIS 2014

My Kaspersky Account Kaspersky Support Ticket Request to Kaspersky Virus Lab Link to GSI Report Instructions Kaspersky Latest Product Versions

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 31.07.2014 23:36