Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Ok, Kaspersky 6.0 messed up my system
sim_soul
post 1.08.2006 16:59
Post #1

Group: Members

Hello there,

I am a kasperky fan (or propably used to be). I am not a professional computer user, but I think I have enough background to judge on what happened.

here is what happened:

I bought a laptop a month ago with Symantec antivirus already installed. I uninstalled it and installed kaspersky 6 (based on my good experience with kaspersky 5 installed on my home PC), After installing kaspersky 6 on my laptop the update application was not connecting and kept giving me error in connecting for a week. After 1 week it just worked I dont know how, but eventually my kaspersky got updated.

Now, After that update .. I kept getting warnings from kaspersky for trusted windows application and I thought that was cool since kaspersky is a powerful program and everytime it warns me about a trusted application I click "Skip".

Last week kaspersky's unlimited and non stop warnings kept showing up with that ugly and scary voice and this time it was a virus called "Win/Jeefo" which is a weak virus described as "low harm", but kaspersky's options were to only disinfect or delete the files infected, ofcourse I choosed disinfect or something like that, but not delete.

this later resulted in:

- losing many important windows applications like svchost.exe
- installed programs and drivers stoped working (for example soundMax)
- lost almost all media Codecs.
- some Microsoft office applications r no longer working.

I believe that if this happened with the previous Symantec antivirus, the case wouldnt be the same.

anyhow, I had a good experience with kaspersky before and i think it is one of the powerful antivirus applications, but propably tooo powerful that it ruined my system.

Now I am taking my laptop back to the company for a format and a re-installation of the Windows XP professional.

Honestly I dont want to give up on kaspersky so If any guys here got any clue of what propably went wrong, I will appreciate that.

Thanks in advanced. and sorry for the long letter.

This post has been edited by sim_soul: 1.08.2006 17:06
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Lucian Bara
post 1.08.2006 17:04
Post #2

Are You Kidding?

Group: Gold beta testers

Hello.
Probably the first thing that went wrong is the uninstallation of norton. Did you properly remove it or just used the add/remove programs option?
Jeefo is a file infector so it will constantly try to inject it's code into running processes (probably that's why you got invader warnings). By skipping you would have only allowed infection. If now the file is detected by signatures, it would explain the new type of alerts.
When dealing with that the best would have been to perform a full scan in safe mode to find all the infected files and disinfect them (using a rescue disk would have been better, but one created on a clean pc)

This post has been edited by lucianbara: 1.08.2006 17:05

+Quote Post
King Grub
post 1.08.2006 17:06
Post #3

Kaspersky Fan I

Kaspersky asked you IF the application was trusted, it didn't tell you that it was trusted. By clicking "skip", you yourself allowed the application access.

Edit: too late.

This post has been edited by King Grub: 1.08.2006 17:07

+Quote Post
sim_soul
post 1.08.2006 17:25
Post #4

I uninstalled the norton antivirus along with symantec live update using the Add/remove, but kept symantec LiveReg application.

I didn't skip the virus threat, I only skipped trusted application .. I carefully read the kaspersky warning and made sure that the application is known and trusted before clicking the "skip".

and after the win/jeefo virus got detected I also choosed to disinfect the files infected, but I think they got deleted instead of being disinfected, I did the right thing with this "low harm" virus.

I have had problems b4 with more powerful viruses, but never ended up formatting my computer, but this "low harm" (as described on Sopho's virus definitions) virus caused me to format my computer because, I think, kaspersky didnt choose the peaceful way to deal with it if you get what i mean.

+Quote Post
Lucian Bara
post 1.08.2006 17:28
Post #5

Are You Kidding?

Well. that's not enough. You had to follow don's sticky on how to compleatly remove norton.

This is something you can never be sure of, a virus can infect 'trusted applications'

+Quote Post
Don Pelotas
post 1.08.2006 17:30
Post #6

Global Moderator

Group: Global moderators

sim_soul

When you get your pc back and if it includes Norton again, then uninstall all Norton apps and do the Norton removal steps:http://forum.kaspersky.com/index.php?showtopic=5233, before you install 6.0 again. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
sim_soul
post 1.08.2006 17:39
Post #7

I thought that Add/remove was enough

anyhow I will follow that mr. Don the next time and hope it goes well.

and yea... the reason that made me uninstall kaspersky was because it blocks my network connections even when setting the level of protection to "Low"

any clues guys for a more peaceful and less headache use of kaspersky?

I mean I dont want to get these pop-ops all the time.

thanks

+Quote Post
Don Pelotas
post 1.08.2006 17:47
Post #8

Global Moderator

QUOTE(sim_soul @ 1.08.2006 15:39)
I thought that Add/remove was enough

anyhow I will follow that mr. Don the next time and hope it goes well.

and yea... the reason that made me uninstall kaspersky was because it blocks my network connections even when setting the level of protection to "Low"

any clues guys for a more peaceful and less headache use of kaspersky?

I mean I dont want to get these pop-ops all the time.

thanks

When you have gone through the steps, then install KIS (you initially said Kaspersky 6.0 = only av), the when you install it there is a possibility to check or uncheck stealth, please uncheck it and finish the install, reboot and update Kaspersky when loaded, it will then ask for a second reboot, give it.

Please do not use a trackseraser, the first day or so, or at least not untill after the two reboots and Kaspersky is fully updated.

--------------------

+Quote Post
sim_soul
post 1.08.2006 21:12
Post #9

thanks Don,

I will follow your steps and hopefully I get the same good experience u guys seem to have with KAV, but may i know what a trackeraser is? what r famous trackerase software.. I might be using one without knowing.

Thanks again all

+Quote Post
Lucian Bara
post 1.08.2006 21:14
Post #10

Are You Kidding?

Hello.
Trackeraser is a program used to clean IE temporary stuff, temp folder, history, recent documents....

+Quote Post
Don Pelotas
post 1.08.2006 21:15
Post #11

Global Moderator

It's a program that automaticly cleans a number of things in Windows (like the tempfolder, which is used by Kaspersky) or even programs, a free trackseraser is http://www.ccleaner.com/

This post has been edited by Don Pelotas: 1.08.2006 21:16

--------------------

+Quote Post
kav_user_1001
post 2.08.2006 11:53
Post #12

I have to agree with what's being said here.

IMHO Norton should be prosecuted for creating such a system intrusive piece of cr*p software. The purpose of the Add/Remove Software in the control panel is to, ahem... add or remove a pice of software. Not, as Symantec seems to think, leave enough of its cr*p on the system so that it wrecks a persons computer and expect people to download something in addition to do do a complete uninstall - why isn't it included in the package in the first place.

How Norton managed to develop the world's worst viral package is beyond me, but hey, kudos to them. It's the equivalent of an infantry soldier developing trench foot before he's set off to war.

Symantec then is a duff company as far as i can see.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21.10.2014 01:09