IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Kaspersky Rescue CD - unable to scan whole computer
cantbootwindowsx...
post 28.07.2010 11:56
Post #1

Group: Members

Hi I have a problem trying to use the Kaspersky Recue CD 2010 and The Rescue CD with 2009 Anti-virus...I am using the two CDs as I can't access Windows on my XP Pro system on Asus 150 gig computer(there is 16.5 gig free space on drive C only out of 150 gig)...when I boot up Kaspersky Rescue CD it will update OK, but when I try to scan WHOLE computer it will not do so, and will only scan 'boot sectors' which is about 3 items taking under 1 minute to scan, when it should be scanning hunderds of thousands of items and take many hours to scan or possibly days...what I want to scan is every drive, particularly C drive, and I can't get it to do this...the items to be scanned list has an 'add' tool where you can add any items from the computer at all you want to scan, but when I try using this to add for example C drive by typing: C:\......or......C:\Windows........into the 'add' text bar, then clicking on 'add', or 'OK', or 'add' and 'OK' nothing happens...also in the 'add items to be scanned' window which opens, there is a dark blue bar highlighted in the top line where the 'disk' icon is...for some reason Kaspersky is not recognizing my drives, and only allowing the 'boot sectors' to be selected and scanned...is there any reason why the full scan would not be working, and why it would not be recognizing the drives so it can scan them? Or does the Kaspersky Rescue CD only allow a full scan of entire computer if you already have Kaspersky installed on your system as a regular user, only allowing a basic boot sector scan for non Kaspersky users?Maybe there is not enough free space for the full system scan to be allowed(16.5 gig free space on C drive)?...Could malware have infected the computers drives so badly and corrupted the drives to the point where they are unreadable? I ran an AVG Rescue Disc scan which was able to read the hard drives and scanned all files but surprisingly found no infection, but as I normally run AVG 9.0 Internet Security on my computer which did not pick up the problem initially I did not expect the AVG Rescue CD to pick it up either, as obviously some viruses and malware is picked up by some and not by others...using SuperAntiSpyware from Hiren's Boot CD found 9 problems, 8 versions of Rootkit.Unclassified/USBHubB, and 1 called System.BrokenFileAssociation...(should I try to use a boot cd with combofix.exe if there is a broken file association? After rebooting after supposedly getting rid of these 9 items they again reappear every time I scan using SuperAntiSpyware so that is not working...also using Hirens, Malwarebytes does not function, and Dr Web Cure It in enhanced protection mode scanned for over a day with no sign it was actually scanning as the screen becomes dim and I could not tell if it was scanning or just frozen, and the other anti virus removal or scanners on Hirens did not function properly...I will next try F Secure Rescue Disc and also Bit Defender Rescue Disc...Please help as I would love to be able to do a full scan with Kaspersky Rescue CD as it is one of the very best Rescue CDs in the world from what I have been told...I don't mind if the full scan takes many hours or even days, I just want to be able to scan with it but at the moment it is not letting me do that. I have 90 gig of files I want to try and keep and don't want to reinstall Windows so if anyone has any ideas or suggestions it would be greatly appreciated and I look forward to hearing back from you, all the best.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
antikythera
post 28.07.2010 13:28
Post #2

ICT Consultant

Group: Gold beta testers

the rescue disc is not great for the reason it doesn't support all types of hard drive controller properly yet. even the 2011 version is still being worked on because of this issue. please see the virus section of this forum for further advice and follow the instructions in the first sticky there.

--------------------
Nothing to see here, move along!

+Quote Post
cantbootwindowsx...
post 28.07.2010 13:34
Post #3

OK thanks for the info. Its interesting the Australian Kaspersky support said they have never heard of the problem before where the rescue CD 2010 or 2009 would not allow a full scan of entire computer.

+Quote Post
antikythera
post 28.07.2010 13:45
Post #4

ICT Consultant

Group: Gold beta testers

maybe they should read the forum more often then. i for one have spent time working with Kaspersky during beta tests to get some of my systems hardware supported. so far they have modified it enough to get 3 of them working from the 4 that previously did not.

--------------------
Nothing to see here, move along!

+Quote Post
cantbootwindowsx...
post 28.07.2010 14:13
Post #5

True - seems like various internet sites just like this is the best bet in terms of trying to get great advice

This post has been edited by cantbootwindowsxp: 28.07.2010 14:14

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1.11.2014 17:16