Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Scan stuck at 3% ??? and can't access hotmail
jrhartley
post 7.07.2006 16:07
Post #1

Group: Members

Hello

I was running Kaspersky Antivirus on trial and I was having problems with scanning - the software gets to 3% and then just hangs, doesn't move beyond it - it shows "Now scanning: ???, Location: ???". I uninstalled and downloaded Internet Security to see if that would make any difference - exactly the same problem, stops at 3%, same ??? ??? message on the scan progress. What's more, now when I try to open Outlook, it won't let me access my hotmail, it comes up with: "Unable to expand the folder: The set of folders could not be opened".

This is obviously a bit frustrating, as I now need to go via the web to access my hotmail account. I am on the cusp of uninstalling the software and going for a different security solution, but I thought I'd try here to see if anyone can suggest how to resolve the issues. I'm more interested in sorting out the AV scan problem than anything. BTW, running XP SP2, have checked with a Scandisk and a Defrag that there are no problems on the HDD itself. Have updated definitions, etc per Kaspersky software's request.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Don Pelotas
post 7.07.2006 16:13
Post #2

Global Moderator

Group: Global moderators

Hi jrhartley & welcome

1. Did you install it in the default location?
2. Try to uncheck the "Pause when CPU is busy with other...."
3. Go into: "Start" - "Controlpanel" - "Administrative tools" - "Services" and in there stop the "Indexing service" and set it to "Disabled", remember to click apply.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Lucian Bara
post 7.07.2006 16:16
Post #3

Are You Kidding?

Group: Gold beta testers

Hallo. Are you using outlook 2007?

+Quote Post
jrhartley
post 7.07.2006 16:24
Post #4

QUOTE(lucianbara @ 7.07.2006 14:16)
Hallo. Are you using outlook 2007?

Yes, installed in the default location, using Outlook 2003. In fact, I've rebooted and i can now re-access Hotmail via Outlook 2003, have turned off most of the internet security features and am re-enabling them one by one to see if there is something that Outlook 2003 doesn't like with KIS. Thanks for the suggestions, I will try those out this PM and revert to you how it goes. cheers

+Quote Post
Don Pelotas
post 7.07.2006 16:25
Post #5

Global Moderator

QUOTE(jrhartley @ 7.07.2006 14:24)
Yes, installed in the default location, using Outlook 2003.  In fact, I've rebooted and i can now re-access Hotmail via Outlook 2003, have turned off most of the internet security features and am re-enabling them one by one to see if there is something that Outlook 2003 doesn't like with KIS.  Thanks for the suggestions, I will try those out this PM and revert to you how it goes.  cheers

Good idea to try the different modules one by one.

--------------------

+Quote Post
jrhartley
post 7.07.2006 16:43
Post #6

Tried your suggestion regarding Services and Indexing, however, on reboot and rescan, Scan My Computer is still at 3%, showing Now scanning: ??? Location: ???. I've just looked into the log and it shows the following message: Mail message: ??? archive outlook message object system and then underneath:
Mail message: ???\??? processing error. The error message is repeated numerous times in the log. I'm going to reboot (as Kaspersky seem to be locked) and try to scan without doing mail. Any ideas how I might be able to resolve the block KAV seems to have hit regarding the outlook mail scan?

thanks for your help so far, btw!

+Quote Post
Lucian Bara
post 7.07.2006 16:46
Post #7

Are You Kidding?

there probably is a parsing error in one of your mails the mailbox, i have such an email too, you should try to clean up the mailbox if it's possible.

+Quote Post
jrhartley
post 7.07.2006 16:55
Post #8

QUOTE(lucianbara @ 7.07.2006 14:46)
there probably is a parsing error in one of your mails the mailbox, i have such an email too, you should try to clean up the mailbox if it's possible.

I think there must be such an error as now I have tried to re-run Scan My Computer excluding emails, it has passed the 3% mark, which is the first time that's happened in a week. So we're making progress, thanks for your assistance. I know its not your area, but do you think SCANPST would fix any mailbox errors that would be blocking KAV from scanning? Or do you have any other suggestions for applications to fix the mailbox problem? cheers!

+Quote Post
Lucian Bara
post 7.07.2006 16:57
Post #9

Are You Kidding?

i would personaly delete all the junk mail, and deleted items you have then check your inbox for any mail that might appear as the culprit (in my case i deleted my whole mailbox content but you might not want to do that)

This post has been edited by lucianbara: 7.07.2006 16:58

+Quote Post
Man in White
post 7.07.2006 17:05
Post #10

Advanced Member II

QUOTE(jrhartley @ 7.07.2006 16:07)
Hello

I was running Kaspersky Antivirus on trial and I was having problems with scanning - the software gets to 3% and then just hangs, doesn't move beyond it - it shows "Now scanning: ???, Location: ???".  I uninstalled and downloaded Internet Security to see if that would make any difference - exactly the same problem, stops at 3%, same ??? ??? message on the scan progress.  What's more, now when I try to open Outlook, it won't let me access my hotmail, it comes up with: "Unable to expand the folder: The set of folders could not be opened".

This is obviously a bit frustrating, as I now need to go via the web to access my hotmail account.  I am on the cusp of uninstalling the software and going for a different security solution, but I thought I'd try here to see if anyone can suggest how to resolve the issues.  I'm more interested in sorting out the AV scan problem than anything.  BTW, running XP SP2, have checked with a Scandisk and a Defrag that there are no problems on the HDD itself.  Have updated definitions, etc per Kaspersky software's request.

Have the same problem. I don`t want to delete all my outlook express mails. Maybe some fix from developers?

--------------------
Offical Gold Betatester of KIS/KAV
KIS 12.0.0.374
PIV 2.0GHz/1024mb RAM/80Gb HDD/Geforce FX 5600/ Windows XP SP3 русская версия + все последние обновления.

+Quote Post
Don Pelotas
post 7.07.2006 17:18
Post #11

Global Moderator

QUOTE(Man in White @ 7.07.2006 15:05)
Have the same problem. I don`t want to delete all my outlook express mails. Maybe some fix from developers?

No, i'm sorry but it isn't as easy as that, it's not something you can actually pinpont with ease, it's not the first time someone see this and it often happens to be with very large amount of mails.

Instead of deleting all mails in one go, then try to delete your deleted items permanently and the mails you do not need anymore in the other folders and then compact, see if this helps

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30.07.2014 00:52